Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 09:12 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times

Advertisements

Echoing my sympathy for both your recent losses. Take care of yourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 09:12 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Sorry for your awful news, Dis!

I lost one of my best friends over the weekend too.

I haven't slept with a pillow to myself in 16 years, it's very sad.
So sorry to hear this. 16 years is a good long run, but in some ways that makes it harder to let go.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:09 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
So sorry to hear this. 16 years is a good long run, but in some ways that makes it harder to let go.
I was ready. Or so I thought...it was actually a less painful ending, thanks to the kind compassionate vet I met in my new neighborhood.

Thank you, my virtual friends 😘

Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I am so very sorry to hear of your recent losses, both of you, and I am also sending big hugs your way.

Dissenter, I hope that you know some people that you and your friend are/were both close to. It really helps the grieving process, to be in company of people where you feel connected and they also cared about the person that you lost. They get it. If there is anyone like that, and you have not gotten together with them, consider doing so ASAP. That is the best and safest place to genuinely grieve, and that is something you will need to do. I mean it, keeping feelings from an unexpected loss like this all locked up within you, will cause you far more pain than finding the right company to share them.

In the experience I had, I felt like I had physically been punched in the gut for a good 3 months, until I could get together with the right people to share grief with. Only then could I heal clean.

All the love, friends. All the love.
I appreciate your words Sonic. Since me and this friend me through music, I actually spent yesterday in Philly for a concert with several of our mutual friends. It was a beautiful night and we get to do it again his week for another concert.

I actually organized a GoFundMe after getting home from work over the weekend to help with his family’s final expenses and I’m stunned at how it blew up and did serious numbers in less than 72 hours. My friends have helped with selling shirts dedicated to him and profit going to his family. Just being able to help in a tragedy you felt so helpless about helps you to remember that you can choose to not let circumstances control you.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:28 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Dissenter & Rbccl:

Both of you have my sympathy. I was going to post each of you a short note, but at the end of the day, whatever I would say, wouldn’t change anything.

Just know that you are in my thoughts . . .

HUGS

Old 06-05-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Dissenter & Rbccl:

Both of you have my sympathy. I was going to post each of you a short note, but at the end of the day, whatever I would say, wouldn’t change anything.

Just know that you are in my thoughts . . .

HUGS
Aw thanks, nice to see you back

Old 06-06-2019, 08:24 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I appreciate your words Sonic. Since me and this friend me through music, I actually spent yesterday in Philly for a concert with several of our mutual friends. It was a beautiful night and we get to do it again his week for another concert.

I actually organized a GoFundMe after getting home from work over the weekend to help with his family’s final expenses and I’m stunned at how it blew up and did serious numbers in less than 72 hours. My friends have helped with selling shirts dedicated to him and profit going to his family. Just being able to help in a tragedy you felt so helpless about helps you to remember that you can choose to not let circumstances control you.
I am really glad that you have people like that. The dear friend I lost was a vocalist, and it was a few months before I could really get together with others who loved him and grieve properly, but it made all the difference in the world when we did.

And you are right, being able to "do something" helps a lot, too.

We had a memorial concert that featured a raffle, and I made a painting to be raffled off. I had a couple of people come up to me and tell me they dropped $200 on raffle tickets because they wanted to win it. Well the guy who DID win it, only bought a single ticket, but what gives me chills to this day, it was the guitarist of the band who was one of the deceased's very closest friends. A wonderful person, and I can't think of anyone I would rather have that art go to. I'm told it hangs in his bedroom.

It is so hard to lose someone you care about, and even more so I think, when it's unexpected. I lost a couple of my closest relatives within a few years of that time, and it didn't hit me as hard because they were old and had serious health problems and we knew they were near the end. It was almost a relief that their time of suffering was at an end, and they were free. But the loss of a relatively casual friend, at a "too young" age, of an overdose that was probably kind of a suicide, out of nowhere... It's brutal. Just brutal.

*hugs*

Old 06-06-2019, 08:49 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It is so hard to lose someone you care about, and even more so I think, when it's unexpected. I lost a couple of my closest relatives within a few years of that time, and it didn't hit me as hard because they were old and had serious health problems and we knew they were near the end. It was almost a relief that their time of suffering was at an end, and they were free. But the loss of a relatively casual friend, at a "too young" age, of an overdose that was probably kind of a suicide, out of nowhere... It's brutal. Just brutal.

*hugs*
A hard thing with a loss by suicide, too, is that people blame themselves and go down the spiral of, "if only I'd called more...if only I'd paid more attention...etc." The really difficult thing is accepting that you couldn't have changed anything, not really.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:58 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A hard thing with a loss by suicide, too, is that people blame themselves and go down the spiral of, "if only I'd called more...if only I'd paid more attention...etc." The really difficult thing is accepting that you couldn't have changed anything, not really.
Yes.

I know that I have thought, many times, if I could only go back knowing what I know now, I'd have done anything it took to make sure he was not alone that weekend. And I know that thousands of people probably felt the exact same way (about this one case, let alone all of the suicides and unexpected deaths that occur.)

But the reality though is that no one was going to be able to babysit a 50 year old man 24/7 through his depression, and I think that if this was gonna happen, sooner or later, he'd be alone with himself, and it would happen. But it took years for me to let that thought go, that I wish I'd done...something.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:46 PM

2 words: Nurse Jackie.
If you've never seen it, do not start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships