Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2023, 03:49 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,504,388 times

Advertisements

Whenever that has happened to me, it's usually because the girl is more interested in me than the other way around. Otherwise, I'll be the first person to ask them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 12:30 PM

1,052 posts, read 574,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Whenever that has happened to me, it's usually because the girl is more interested in me than the other way around. Otherwise, I'll be the first person to ask them out.
Exactly. I’m a woman who never asked men out for the exact reason you brought up.

If a man truly is interested in a woman, even if he is in the village of population 205 in the middle of Africa with no phone reception and no internet he’s crawling/swimming/running back to see her.

I admire men for having to ask girls out, and risk of getting possible rejections.-I don’t know how you do that, my hats off to you.

Old 07-29-2023, 10:43 AM

9,423 posts, read 11,176,605 times
I think it's cool, and it certainly requires a solid amount of self confidence and panache on the part of the woman. I haven't asked around so I don't know that fershur.

I'm pretty sure my dating days are over, but way back when, yes I'd have been flattered and stimulated if it was someone I was also interested in. If it was a woman I wasn't interested in, how to say no without embarrassing her? Err, thanks, but I'm entering the priesthood next week. ?

Good question. How common is this in today's dating world?

Old 07-29-2023, 11:11 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I think men like it. However, it is greatly different to ask a man that you have known for awhile. He would be flattered, but if you ask a man you just met, don't be surprised if what he hears is that you are asking him to have sex with you, so you are probably going to have vastly different expectations about what a "date" involves.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:45 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Thing is, the women who expect such things very often would say that they're traditional, not feminists. They don't like feminists any more than you do.
And as you dig a little deeper, it turns out that man of these women are not traditional at all. Most want to have a career, usually not very enthusiastic about domestic wok, don't know how to cook an expect men to be an equal partner at home while also having a great career and making more money then them. They are essentially feminists who are calling themselves traditional so that hey can get men to pay for them and ask them out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Many actual feminists do believe in equality and will usually go dutch and offer to pay right of the bat, they think of an engagement ring as an unnecessary and outdated expense, and have no problem making the first move. Unfortunately many of these same women get painted as "unfeminine" and "strident" for doing those very things.
I met very few women like these when I was dating. I had no issues with them being more proactive and taking initiative. Unfortunately, they were not attractive to me for reasons not having to do with with them taking initiative in dating.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:02 AM

1,397 posts, read 916,668 times
In my single days, I would have freaked out with joy if I had women asking me out. LOL.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:10 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Good question. How common is this in today's dating world?
It’s certainly common enough not to be called into question, per the thread/OP. Point being, no matter who does the asking, it helps to be socially adept. I have found some women in the past were not i.e. I wasn’t interested (and I was taken by surprise relative to the ask). That said, regarding professional men (in our forties), we tend to do the asking, as a whole, whereas women will subtly flirt or ‘drop hints’.

However, I’m often amazed by the antiquated dating philosophies (and aggressive ‘all or nothing’ statements relative to such) expressed in this Forum.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:39 PM

41 posts, read 13,784 times
nevertheless, i'm sure that even a full century or millenium from now, it will still be normally men that do the asking out, that men are the ones that do the approaching.

Old 08-03-2023, 05:51 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,762,896 times
When I was in my early 20's I worked part time at a small grocery store and there was this really cute girl that also worked there that I thought was way out of my league so I never bothered with her. One day she approached me and asked if I wanted to go out with her sometime and I was floored. Was a huge ego boost and we ended up dating for over a year until I found out she cheated on me while I was deployed, lol. I love a woman who knows what she wants and if I was ever approached again, I would have no problem with it.

Old 08-06-2023, 05:34 PM

41 posts, read 13,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
When I was in my early 20's I worked part time at a small grocery store and there was this really cute girl that also worked there that I thought was way out of my league so I never bothered with her. One day she approached me and asked if I wanted to go out with her sometime and I was floored. Was a huge ego boost and we ended up dating for over a year until I found out she cheated on me while I was deployed, lol. I love a woman who knows what she wants and if I was ever approached again, I would have no problem with it.
something that will forever be in the extreme minority, hence why far more common for men than for women to have never dated, never been in a relationship before by a certain age, decade, or more common for men to have been single later than normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships