Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 05:19 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So even though you were young, you would just remain a martyr for your lost love, never having a family, never having a partner?

There are millions of widows and widowers who re-marry and both spouses are very happy. That man in Connecticut whose family was killed by intruders re-married and has a new baby. People are meant to keep going and move on. Life is for the living and all that. For a woman as young as she was in the movie, remaining in mourning at the expense of having a partner and family would have been extremely unhealthy and dysfunctional IMO. You can love more than one person in life.
I would not marry someone if I still felt that another person from my past was "the love of my life".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
'the'?

Why must there be just one love of a person's life?

Look, the idea that there is one, and just one, person out there for each of us is absurd. I was born in 1969. There were over 200 million people born within a year either side of my date of birth. So just limiting myself to women within a year of my age, that's over 100 million women. I've met, on a personal basis, a few thousand of them. A fraction of 1%. So while it may not be romantic, the notion that my wife is the only conceivable 'love of my life' is just silly nonsense. Had she never existed, or had something happened to her before we were married, I have no doubt that I could have found someone else to share my life with. And vice versa.

Human compatibility is not a fairy tale.
I'm not suggesting that you can only love once; of course you can. However, in the movie, Kelly told Chuck that he was the love of her life even though she was married to another man. The expression "the love of my life" implies that it is a greater love that rates above the others. It's the greatest of all loves in that person's life. Does it not?

If I overheard my spouse saying that someone from their past was "the love of their life", I would be so hurt. Sure, he has loved before as have I, but if he thinks someone else is the love of his life, I do not want to be married to him. I want to be married to the love of my life who sees me as the love of their life.

Petunia asked me "But did you love both husbands exactly the same way? IME, we love again, but not in exactly the same way. It probably has more to do with us than with the recipient of our love."

Right. I love/loved them differently. They were at different times of my life, and being different people everything about it is different. When I reflect back on my life and my past loves, I consider my current husband to be the greatest love of my life.

My apologies for not knowing how to use the multi-quote feature!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 05:24 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post

Right. I love/loved them differently. They were at different times of my life, and being different people everything about it is different. When I reflect back on my life and my past loves, I consider my current husband to be the greatest love of my life.
Awww, that's very sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
My apologies for not knowing how to use the multi-quote feature!
I had to ask, too. Just click the button to the immediate right of the "quote" button when you read a post and want to reply. Continue reading until you run across another. Then when you get ready to reply, click "post reply" and all of the selected quotes will appear in your "Message:" box.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:27 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
Thank you, Petunia!

Old 09-19-2016, 05:27 PM

52,271 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I haven't seen the movie for many years now and not really sure how much I remember, I do remember him going to see his girl and that she moved on with her life, as you probably would in real life, but don't remember the nitty gritty details of his attempt to reconnect with her, other than she was married, I think it was.

Sad situation because you can't blame her, but it would suck for him because he never "grieved" for her as she must have for him, you have to assume he was dead, not much else you could really think.

Sad.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:29 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Ahhhhhh quite obvious really!

( thank you )
My pleasure, love.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:31 PM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Personally, I think the movie had a great ending. Chuck began the story as a clock-watching OCD jerk who didn't even have time to propose to his girl. By the end he was a calm, liberated soul with four years of back pay in his pocket. After meeting the "angel wings" girl at the crossroads, it seemed as if he may have turned around his truck to follow her home. I like to think that he told her the story behind the package and they bonded over that and began a relationship. The only problem would come when she finally opens the unopened package. According to the Director, Robert Zemeckis, the package that Chuck left sealed for 4 years contained......... a waterproof satellite phone.
That's how I saw it too. I thought he was going to be that woman as well.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:40 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Personally, I think the movie had a great ending. Chuck began the story as a clock-watching OCD jerk who didn't even have time to propose to his girl. By the end he was a calm, liberated soul with four years of back pay in his pocket. After meeting the "angel wings" girl at the crossroads, it seemed as if he may have turned around his truck to follow her home. I like to think that he told her the story behind the package and they bonded over that and began a relationship. The only problem would come when she finally opens the unopened package. According to the Director, Robert Zemeckis, the package that Chuck left sealed for 4 years contained......... a waterproof satellite phone.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
My pleasure, love.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:00 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Think of all the kinky stuff he and Wilson got up to, and then think twice if you'd want him back.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:57 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
4 years on an island living on coconuts, painful toothaches, wiping my butt with leaves, no human interaction - no women around to have sex, no internet.....

I probably would hung my emaciated deprived body with that man made rope, if I had enough weight on me. Lol

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 09-20-2016 at 12:05 AM..

Old 09-20-2016, 06:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
One of the poignant moments for me was the big welcome-back reception, with a catered table laden with crab legs and sushi. Food he had been scrounging for years and probably never wanted to see again.

Was it four years? I was thinking two or three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships