Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 01:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Dude, a cute dog is a babe magnet! Dog parks are a real singles pick-up scene! What are you waiting for?
This is going to sound horribly morbid but we all need a laugh so here goes.

My husband's family has a long history of men who live to be VERY old. For example, his grandfather died a few years ago four months before his 100th birthday. And the man was getting around until that final year, too. He had two canes but refused a walker, and was sharp as a tack and funny.

Anyway, in my family, seriously, we have an odd history of shuffling off this mortal coil very, very early for very weird reasons nobody could have predicted. So for this reason, I assume my husband will way, way outlive me.

So I always tell him, "Look, I'll be kicking for some weird random reason any day now and you'll be hanging on for 45 more years, so you'd better install another wife BUT QUICK. Here's how you do it: get a dog. Walk her every day. When young hotties bend to pet her, say gently, 'Yes, that's my little Molly. She's my good friend. She keeps me from being...alone' and then say while wiping a tear, 'I mean...ever since my wife passed away...my dear, best friend...'"

I tell him with this M.O. he'll be getting laid in like ten seconds.

He needs to keep working out in the meantime, though. Molly the terrier can't be doing this work all by herself.

It does need to be something small like a terrier because then the girls will have to bend even farther down and well, dude's eyes aren't what they used to be, he really needs an unobstructed view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
You stopped walking your dog because people were petting him?

And what do you mean "they wouldn't bother otherwise", that they wouldn't bother to stop to pet your dog if you didn't, in fact have a dog? The nerve of them!
He might assume their interest is fake because if the dog wasn't around they wouldn't even attempt to talk to him.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:40 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
He might assume their interest is fake because if the dog wasn't around they wouldn't even attempt to talk to him.
Or their interest is real and they're using the dog as an ice breaker.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:40 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,702 times
Or, they could just be interested in petting the dog.

I love dogs. I have a dog. I will sometimes ask to pet a cute dog I run into, and ask its name/breed etc. It doesn't mean I am interested in the dog's owner. It could, certainly--I know of at least two (human) romances that started at our local dog park. But you seem to think any casual interaction between two people is--or possibly should--signify romantic interest. It's simply not true. Humans are social creatures, we interact without subtext at times.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:42 PM

Guys stop me for a pet and "awwww! I love it when she licks my hand" CONSTANTLY...it does not bother me one bit. I just roll with it.

I don't have a dog, though.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:45 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Their interest in the dog???

This guy's thought processes do not make sense unless viewed through a NPD prism.

He assumes everyone is always noticing him and acting certain ways around him because of how he looks. Whether he is ugly or good looking, he imagines himself to be at the center of everyone's world.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:46 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or their interest is real and they're using the dog as an ice breaker.
I agree.. Some people can be their own worst enemies.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by done38 View Post
Me and my buddy have plenty of fun but I haven't been taking him out lately because of women stopping me and wanting to pet him. He likes the attention but I just get annoyed because they wouldn't bother otherwise.
I can't believe you punish your dog this way because you have issues. That's cruel. He can't possibly understand.

If it's so bad why not try this instead?

Old 12-08-2016, 01:52 PM

5,323 posts, read 6,099,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Because we're assuming that if a person makes such statements on a forum like this one, he is asking for help/advice. I guess duh on us?

As for your continued insistence that you can't get a date because you're not physically handsome, I will continue to tell you to look around you at all the men who are with women and just try to tell me with a straight face that all or even most of them could be considered handsome, much less very handsome.

Look around at work. At your next family get-together. At the mall. At a concert. On the street. Anywhere.

COUNT (don't just say "I feel like a lot of those guys were handsome," you have this stuck in your head so that's what you'll remember even if it isn't accurate) the amount of people you see who are almost definitely couples and then COUNT how many of the men in those couples are very handsome. Go home and LOOK AT your results.

As for that last part, that's what's telling. So many times these complaints start out with "NO woman wants me" and evolve into closer to reality: the hotties you want don't want you. That's not "no women." That's your expectations...and in that case you're the one who's being shallow, sorry. I mean what else can anyone say to that? Do you want the truth or don't you? You are probably setting your expectations too high on the physical exclusively, yes.

So I guess your advice is to not approach attractive women..approach women you don't think are that physically attractive because they are more likely to say yes.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:59 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done38 View Post
Plenty of unattractive people have never dated, had sex or will get married they exist to and it Isn't always their fault.

We are all responsible for doing our best with what we have looks-, personality-, and intelligence-wise, along with everything else.

None of us are born with the best of everything.

Most important lesson? Attitude makes a big difference.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships