Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:23 AM

12 posts, read 9,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
That is huge. It's amazing how many people are financially retarded, even people with higher educations. It blows me away how people can't understand how to keep a budget and save enough for rainy days. It's like feeding yourself properly or hygiene IMO. If you can't figure out simple concepts like those you shouldn't even be in the dating market.

My oldest sister makes more money than my other two sisters and she's constantly calling me with guilt trips and wanting to burrow money. Combined her and her husband make 90K a year, rent a cheap apartment and somehow don't save any money in a rural mid-western town. It's mind boggling to me, they don't even do drugs so I have no idea where all that goes. 2 kids can't be that expensive.
Give people that make below $20k a year that yearly income and I bet they don't blow even half of it. They must want to live under a bridge one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 07:00 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartgirl709 View Post
Give people that make below $20k a year that yearly income and I bet they don't blow even half of it. They must want to live under a bridge one day.
Sadly I disagree.

During my military career [it is so common that it forms a stereotype] The lowest pay-grade [E1] can get by and do okay on his paycheck. Advance him to E2 and within a few months his spending will have expanded to absorb the increased salary. This pattern repeats itself up through all pay-grades. When you are paid more [and without intervention] your minimum spending will increase to absorb all available money.

What happens in the military is everyone is offered free financial counseling, though most people will refuse the service. When a servicemember gets in over his head with debt, and the command gets a letter from a creditor, that triggers mandatory financial counseling [which was among my duties].

With budget counseling servicemembers learn to control their spending habits, so they can learn to support their families on a portion of their salary and begin saving money.

If the servicemember continuous with the financial counseling offered, they learn how to itemize taxes to decrease their income tax obligation [therefore increasing their paychecks] and investment strategies.

Among my civilian friends and among my relatives, we know people who have good careers earning $150k - $200k/year and whose finances are complete disasters. We have been helping with their tax filings for years. But it shows to us the same stereotype that we saw in the military, without intervention increasing salary increases spending.

My salary peaked at around $65k/year. On that income I supported a family, we bought four apartment complexes, and we controlled our taxes to keep our tax obligation at zero.

We have close friends who are earning $200k and yet they are well over their heads in debt, they have no Net Worth.

Just because you earn a lot of money does not mean that you have automatically learned [through osmosis] how to handle your money.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:23 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
^^ In the context of dating and a woman wanting to date up, e.g., hypergamy, how would she know this about a guy without getting to know him and his finances?

A guy can also hide this for quite some time no guy is whipping out all of his financial info in the first 6 months, but I guarantee he was whipping out some other things.

So yeah all this does is prove our point a job title and his income might not necessarily mean very much. What does she do after she finds out? I also personally know some people with similar stories they were loaded but had terrible money management and wanted to live too extravagantly now the couple is divorced and one of them had to move back into a family members basement

Old 01-09-2017, 09:11 PM

193 posts, read 169,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I think it's easier for a man to establish a successful career than it is for a woman. After all they are still often paid more than women for the same job. Also, men tend to be favored for repeat promotions and develop greater job seniority than women who may take time off to care for children.

So yes, I think men would be judged more harshly if they fail to thrive in a professional environment, because the odds are frequently in their favor.
Do you have proof that men are paid more than woman for doing the SAME job?

Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 PM

193 posts, read 169,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I don't generally consider people losers due to their employment status but any 30 year old adult who has never held a job or made and effort to better themselves barring any physical or mental disabilities definitely doesn't get any respect from me, male or female.
Generally speaking, men who don't have jobs are losers. Women who don't have job are Princesses.

For example: A stay at home mom estimated worth is six figures a year. (they tell themselves that to make them feel better).

Yet, a stay at home father is a dead beat.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:20 AM

229 posts, read 463,359 times
Definitely they are. I am part ashamed of it, but I will be very suspicious about a guy who wants a long term relationship with me and displays no clear signs of how he'd be able to support me when I am on maternity leave. Of course I am answering from a strictly personal perspective, because I'd like to have children eventually, and I'd like to be able to raise and breastfeed my child for at least 6 months- a year by myself instead of having to hire a nanny. Therefore, I'd like to be someone who could support me and the baby during this period.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 AM

914 posts, read 738,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Yet, a stay at home father is a dead beat.
I thought dead beats are those fathers who aren't involved in their children's lives?

The law in the UK has changed not too long ago, enabling mothers and fathers to share maternity/paternity leave. Personally, I hope that we'll see more men staying home on paternity leave in the future.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:11 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Do you have proof that men are paid more than woman for doing the SAME job?
That would be illegal.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:14 AM

1,112 posts, read 885,305 times
Still living with your folks? Past 22?...
Irresponsible with $$, in debt, party too much, no ambition to better yourself employment wise, ***** about your employer/boss? Rebel against "superiors? 30 going on or never left 18? Lazy? Tatoos? Piercings....rainbow colors in your hair, sloppy in appearance? Impolite? Disrespectful of others? No goals for your life? Hop jobs when you are no "happy"? Smokers vs non?

I don't know but you are how you act and portray ypurself. The bar raises in attractiveness along with the expectations of prospective dates..male or female. As We tend to be drawn to our similararities and goals. Socio Economics play into this. For me, at least.

Back in my dating years I turned down a date with a 30year old guy ( I was 29) because he STILL lived at home with mommy. ( He worked full time so ...why?) I had been out of the house since I was 20. I told him that I did not date boys who still lived with their mommies. He was shocked that I even said it!

Mae

Old 01-10-2017, 11:00 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
I thought dead beats are those fathers who aren't involved in their children's lives?
Yes. Around here there are plenty of highly respected stay-at-home and home schooling Dads. I saw them all the time at the local groups for same. No one blinked an eye. They did all the same things the rest of us home parents did, kids, medical appointments, bills, housekeeping, home work, bedtimes. I did not see them eating any more bon bons that any of the SAHMs that I knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships