Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:01 AM

195 posts, read 161,512 times

Advertisements

As per the topic, are men judged more harshly for not having a good career/job than women? I have a question to men and women. Men, how much does a woman having a job/career matter to you? If she were pretty, nice, etc. but has never held a job or had a job but it was something like fast food would that matter to you? To women, say she doesn't have any kids but is in her 30s or 40s but never furthered her education or really did much with her life even if she had the opportunity to do so, would you view her as much of a loser the same as a man in the same scenario?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 01:03 AM

25 posts, read 31,555 times
of course they are

an attractive girl making 25K a year still has a million suitors...an attractive guy in that range has to primarily settle for low income earners and very young women

Old 01-02-2017, 03:02 AM

424 posts, read 236,743 times
Can't speak for every guy, but, in terms of women, I'd rather be dating an ambitious 6 than a poor and stupid 10.

Ideally, I'd date an ambitious, successful, intelligent, loyal 9-10. I have yet to see one of these unicorns in real life, but I'm sure if they do exist, they're dating a guy way better looking than I.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:36 AM

426 posts, read 352,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
As per the topic, are men judged more harshly for not having a good career/job than women? I have a question to men and women. Men, how much does a woman having a job/career matter to you? If she were pretty, nice, etc. but has never held a job or had a job but it was something like fast food would that matter to you? To women, say she doesn't have any kids but is in her 30s or 40s but never furthered her education or really did much with her life even if she had the opportunity to do so, would you view her as much of a loser the same as a man in the same scenario?
Sometimes questions like this can be offensive. Ok most of society will say that men get judged for not being a doctor, for not driving a fancy car etc. In my case, I feel like I'm the guy. I would constantly hear crap about how come I don't drive, why don't I own a corporation and then they want to know how much money I make. That drives me bonkers. Why can't people just accept someone the way they are? Why is money always the main focus and people wanting to have a trophy man or trophy women to show off? I hate that kind of materialistic mindset. It's not the persons job you should be focusing on, it's all about the personality!!!

I was born into a somewhat wealthy family and have been around arrogant picks my whole life which turns me off. I would much rather have a simple life which I do, no need for living extravagantly and showing off. The only plus side about that is traveling which I get to enjoy sometimes but other than that I don't give a s*** about cars, how high on a pedestal someone claims to be and how much money they flaunt. I would rather settle with someone who is a construction worker for example than a politician who screws around and has no respect for anyone because it's all about the money right?.
I prefer to stick to the shadows than deal with show offs. Life is too short for that nonsense.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:40 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
I was born into a somewhat wealthy family and have been around arrogant picks my whole life which turns me off. I would much rather have a simple life which I do, no need for living extravagantly and showing off.
So what you're really saying is that you have a lifetime underachieving and have problems getting dates?

Old 01-02-2017, 05:42 AM

426 posts, read 352,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So what you're really saying is that you have a lifetime underachieving and have problems getting dates?
I don't have problems getting dates I just don't like putting myself out there much. I prefer focusing on myself and my loved ones. Believe what you want but I think people worrying about cars and how much money someone makes is absolute bulls***. I guess I have an unpopular opinion on this topic but whatever.

Last edited by Yourgermanicanish; 01-02-2017 at 05:56 AM..

Old 01-02-2017, 06:09 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
I think if someone, man or woman, is self sufficient and their work is meaningful to them, I would respect them regardless of income. Now if someone works at a low skilled job and cannot support them self simply because they are unwilling to learn new skills or pursue opportunities to advance the self, I would likely not want to get deeply involved with them. For me, it's not about the money but whether the person is independent and open to growing.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:35 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
...are men judged more harshly for not having a good career/job than women?
A simplistic question gets a simplistic answer: Yes.

Quote:
Men, how much does a woman having a job/career matter to you?
It's about adequacy. Adequacy of income/benefits to meet the core needs/desires of life.

Adequacy of personal satisfaction and all the other "soft values" also count.
But these can only be considered fairly when the adequate income/benefits are in place.
Stoicism and martyrdom don't cut it.

How you or I or anyone else might define adequacy is subjective of course.
But even there it isn't difficult if you aren't being obtuse; eg: the Chevy vs the Cadillac.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:41 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
It is still generally very true that men are judged far more harshly for not having a lucrative job and ambition than are women, especially when it comes to dating and mating.

Some of this attitude comes from men themselves, especially those who prefer a stay-at-home-wife and mother. But mostly, this attitude is held by many women, who are supposedly liberated in other ways, such as sexually.

Personally, I don't really care if people have this attitude, since I can choose not to date anyone who holds it, or who can't - at least - support themselves responsibly.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:17 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
I think it's easier for a man to establish a successful career than it is for a woman. After all they are still often paid more than women for the same job. Also, men tend to be favored for repeat promotions and develop greater job seniority than women who may take time off to care for children.

So yes, I think men would be judged more harshly if they fail to thrive in a professional environment, because the odds are frequently in their favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships