Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 06:50 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times

Advertisements

So I got a little bored a few days ago and decided to reactivate my Tinder profile. I've been chatting with a few guys and one of them suggested that we speak on the phone. I thought he was attractive in his profile photos and he also specifically stated in his profile that he's NOT looking for hookups, so I was cool with that. He called me last night and we talked for about an hour and a half. I thought it was a nice conversation. Then today, he asked me if I'd like to meet. I said sure and asked him what he was interested in doing. He said that he'd probably be hungry, so we could meet for dinner, drinks, and maybe a movie. We decided to meet at a casual sports bar type of place.

Anyway, I thought he was attractive in person and he told me I looked very nice, so I assume he thought the same. We chatted for about two hours and I thought the conversation was flowing pretty smoothly. He casually mentioned something we could do the next time we got together. So anyway, I'm thinking that things are going pretty well. He's 30, has a job, but is planning to switch careers so he'll be taking classes for the next several years. I figured that I probably make a lot more money than him, but I wasn't really concerned about that. I had an entree and one drink which came to $20.10. He also had one entree and one drink. When we were done with the meal, he flagged down our server and asked her if she would bring separate checks. I was a little surprised by this because no one I've gone out with has ever done this. I was planning on offering to pay my share like I always do, but he made sure that I would pay for myself by asking for separate checks ahead of time. Obviously, that was his first time meeting me and he's not obligated to spend $20 on me. I wouldn't refuse to see him again just because he did this. However, I know we've had several discussions about who should pay for the first date, and I thought what he did was pretty...interesting, and just wanted to share it with you all. Also, it was dark and he didn't walk me to my car. I can see that 2017 is going to be a great year for dating!

Edited to add: He just texted me to ask if I got home ok. Aww.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:10 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
So I got a little bored a few days ago and decided to reactivate my Tinder profile. I've been chatting with a few guys and one of them suggested that we speak on the phone. I thought he was attractive in his profile photos and he also specifically stated in his profile that he's NOT looking for hookups, so I was cool with that. He called me last night and we talked for about an hour and a half. I thought it was a nice conversation. Then today, he asked me if I'd like to meet. I said sure and asked him what he was interested in doing. He said that he'd probably be hungry, so we could meet for dinner, drinks, and maybe a movie. We decided to meet at a casual sports bar type of place.

Anyway, I thought he was attractive in person and he told me I looked very nice, so I assume he thought the same. We chatted for about two hours and I thought the conversation was flowing pretty smoothly. He casually mentioned something we could do the next time we got together. So anyway, I'm thinking that things are going pretty well. He's 30, has a job, but is planning to switch careers so he'll be taking classes for the next several years. I figured that I probably make a lot more money than him, but I wasn't really concerned about that. I had an entree and one drink which came to $20.10. He also had one entree and one drink. When we were done with the meal, he flagged down our server and asked her if she would bring separate checks. I was a little surprised by this because no one I've gone out with has ever done this. I was planning on offering to pay my share like I always do, but he made sure that I would pay for myself by asking for separate checks ahead of time. Obviously, that was his first time meeting me and he's not obligated to spend $20 on me. I wouldn't refuse to see him again just because he did this. However, I know we've had several discussions about who should pay for the first date, and I thought what he did was pretty...interesting, and just wanted to share it with you all. Also, it was dark and he didn't walk me to my car. I can see that 2017 is going to be a great year for dating!

Smart man. First dates with people men meet online commonly don't become second dates. Just turns out to be a free meal for the girl.

So he's not a sucker. He could be a keeper.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Smart man. First dates with people men meet online commonly don't become second dates. Free meal for the girl.

So he's not a sucker. He could be a keeper.
Ok, but why did he feel it necessary to even suggest dinner if he knew he was unwilling or unable to pay for it? I would've been fine with just drinks.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:12 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Yeah, he's certainly making a statement.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
I've said this before, if I know before the end of the date I don't give a damn about seeing this person again, I will definitely ask for separate checks. Who cares if I p$&@ them off since I'm not seeing them again anyway?

Old 01-07-2017, 07:18 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
It's his gold-digger-proof M.O, Also his "dinner-wh*re"-proof M.O. , lol! I see no problem with it, except it would have been nice to have mentioned in advance that he always goes Dutch on first dates from OLD. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I've said this before, if I know before the end of the date I don't give a damn about seeing this person again, I will definitely ask for separate checks. Who cares if I p$&@ them off since I'm not seeing them again anyway?
Would you also bother texting them to see if they got home ok? I'm not saying that he definitely was or wasn't interested in me, but I feel like his behavior was more about himself rather than his feelings about me.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:19 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Happy New Year to you, too, Diss! Cheer up.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:21 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Would you also bother texting them to see if they got home ok? I'm not saying that he definitely was or wasn't interested in me, but I feel like his behavior was more about himself rather than his feelings about me.
Again if I wanted to see them again, it is more of a good look gesture to do so, if I don't give a , I won't. It's that simple.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:22 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times
Quote:
. I thought he was attractive in his profile photos and he also specifically stated in his profile that he's NOT looking for hookups, so I was cool with that. He called me last night and we talked for about an hour and a half.

However, I know we've had several discussions about who should pay for the first date, and I thought what he did was pretty...interesting, and just wanted to share it with you all. Also, it was dark and he didn't walk me to my car. I can see that 2017 is going to be a great year for dating!

I think most guys will say they are not looking for hookups when they actually are. Makes them look like a 'nicer' guy and not a horndog.

So what was his original stance on who should pay for the first date before you went for dinner and drinks? Dutch? How far was your car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships