Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:15 AM

113 posts, read 85,888 times

Advertisements

I'm really bad at gift giving especially on Valentine's Day (I only had 1 Valentine's Day where I wasn't single). This is the guy I have gone out on 6 dates with in just a bit over a week. He is gone this week for a skiing trip with friends but we have a date the day after he comes back. Again we have seen each other every other day or so.

He made a reservation at a nice restaurant. I figure he will just do something like flowers and chocolate which I like (I'm traditional). I don't want to give him something safe (like just giving him a cute mug with chocolates in it). I was thinking of putting together a bag of things I know he needs but it's really random (SPF 70 spray, Tend Skin for shaving, and a keychain from a place where we had 1 of the best dates of my life along with Hershey Hugs and Kisses). Does that seem good or too impersonal? I'm adding a card to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 11:33 AM

636 posts, read 392,956 times
I'm not him so I can't possibly know what he would like
To me,
the keychain is personal
chocolates are delicious
the other stuff - saves me some money
I'd especially like the card - assuming you'd fill it with your words and thoughts, and not just whatever Hallmark has to say - but I really like words.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:36 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,019 times
What are his interests? If you've been on six dates and have been paying attention, you should have an idea of the things he likes, so...what does he like?

If you had been dating longer, I would suggest a big ribbon or bow and maybe some whipped cream, but I have no idea how far you have progressed.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:37 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
I can think of one present that would go down well!

No seriously I think it's great you to want to do something for him

I'm not the best at receiving gifts myself so not the best judge but I'm pretty sure YOU would suffice and be the best gift he could get

Have a wonderful time

Old 02-06-2017, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 795 times
Valentine's Day is the festival, or occasion, depending on how you perceive it, where you have to buy presents for your loved ones. However, this is not just any occasion but an event that is celebrated by lovers in most profound of forms and ways. The highlight of this festive occasion is the exchange of presents along with a few other activities.

People try to find gifts that are not only unique but also romantic to express their love with their respective spouses or partners on this occasion. While it is relatively easier for women to find suitable Valentine's Day presents for men than the other way around, it can be a daunting task to find a gift for the metro-sexual man.

What Is The Metro-Sexual Man?

Metro-sexual is in no way about the sexual orientation; rather, it refers to men who have a keen sense of fashion and style. The term was made popular in mid 1990s by the writer Mark Simpson. If we go two or three decades back, male vanity, skin care, and fashion were rather frowned upon and mostly attributed to the men of a certain sexual orientation. However, from early 90s, there was a marked increase in men to become more stylish and they started to pay more attention to their appearances.

In the article "Meet the Metro-Sexual," published by Salon.Com, the writer Mark Simpson has described the metro-sexual man in the following words. "The typical metro-sexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis-because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are." (Saloon.Com, July 22, 2002)

David Beckham, the legendary English soccer player is widely regarded as the first identified proto-type of the modern metro-sexual man. If your partner is into personal grooming and falls into this category as well, it can be a nightmare to find a suitable Valentine gift for your boyfriend. In order to help you in your search for a present on Valentine's Day, we have presented some tips below.

What And Where To Buy?

If you are not fully prepared to embark on the search for Valentine's Day presents for men, in this case the metro-sexual men, better stick to the "same old" routine of picture frames or socks. However, if you want to bring a smile to your boyfriend's face, you have to come up with a gift that would make his day. Since metro-sexual are all about appearance, your best bet is to get something for his wardrobe or for the accessories such as the cufflinks.

If you opt to buy for his wardrobe, avoid things like cowboy hats, pleated jeans or trousers, colorful vest etc. While buying clothes, first thing to decide are the colors. Your best bet would be to stick with solid colors to be safe. Avoid anything flashy or patterns that appear to be too loud. When buying a shirt, go for 100% cotton. You cannot go wrong with big labels such as Gucci, Armani, Ralph Lauren and the likes of these. If you have to buy clothes, go for labels that are famous for making fashion statements.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:39 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uadialej View Post
Valentine's Day is the festival, or occasion, depending on how you perceive it, where you have to buy presents for your loved ones. However, this is not just any occasion but an event that is celebrated by lovers in most profound of forms and ways. The highlight of this festive occasion is the exchange of presents along with a few other activities.

People try to find gifts that are not only unique but also romantic to express their love with their respective spouses or partners on this occasion. While it is relatively easier for women to find suitable Valentine's Day presents for men than the other way around, it can be a daunting task to find a gift for the metro-sexual man.

What Is The Metro-Sexual Man?

Metro-sexual is in no way about the sexual orientation; rather, it refers to men who have a keen sense of fashion and style. The term was made popular in mid 1990s by the writer Mark Simpson. If we go two or three decades back, male vanity, skin care, and fashion were rather frowned upon and mostly attributed to the men of a certain sexual orientation. However, from early 90s, there was a marked increase in men to become more stylish and they started to pay more attention to their appearances.

In the article "Meet the Metro-Sexual," published by Salon.Com, the writer Mark Simpson has described the metro-sexual man in the following words. "The typical metro-sexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis-because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are." (Saloon.Com, July 22, 2002)

David Beckham, the legendary English soccer player is widely regarded as the first identified proto-type of the modern metro-sexual man. If your partner is into personal grooming and falls into this category as well, it can be a nightmare to find a suitable Valentine gift for your boyfriend. In order to help you in your search for a present on Valentine's Day, we have presented some tips below.

What And Where To Buy?

If you are not fully prepared to embark on the search for Valentine's Day presents for men, in this case the metro-sexual men, better stick to the "same old" routine of picture frames or socks. However, if you want to bring a smile to your boyfriend's face, you have to come up with a gift that would make his day. Since metro-sexual are all about appearance, your best bet is to get something for his wardrobe or for the accessories such as the cufflinks.

If you opt to buy for his wardrobe, avoid things like cowboy hats, pleated jeans or trousers, colorful vest etc. While buying clothes, first thing to decide are the colors. Your best bet would be to stick with solid colors to be safe. Avoid anything flashy or patterns that appear to be too loud. When buying a shirt, go for 100% cotton. You cannot go wrong with big labels such as Gucci, Armani, Ralph Lauren and the likes of these. If you have to buy clothes, go for labels that are famous for making fashion statements.
That's a very in depth and helpful first post mate

Welcome to the forum

Old 02-06-2017, 12:57 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uadialej View Post
Valentine's Day is the festival, or occasion,
You went to some lengths to lift that article directly from the interweb.
Are you trying to pass it off as your own ?

Old 02-06-2017, 01:35 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
If he's a red-blooded type, something from the Snap-On truck is sure to please.

At least it would please me! If he does not have one already, they offer a 3/8 inch ratchet, 72 tooth, about the size of a normal 1/4 inch ratchet. Very handy working in tight conditions.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCollie View Post
I was thinking of putting together a bag of things I know he needs but it's really random (SPF 70 spray, Tend Skin for shaving, and a keychain from a place where we had 1 of the best dates of my life along with Hershey Hugs and Kisses). Does that seem good or too impersonal? I'm adding a card to it.
I think it's a sweet idea, made better by the personal touches.

I agree that you should write something meaningful and memorable in the card.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:46 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,372,709 times
My first date with my husband was on V-Day. We exchanged chocolates and cards (he drew me a picture). I can be really mushy-gushy and sappy. I've given my husband flowers on several occasions and we absolutely exchange cards. For one V-Day I gave him a really cool guitar painting, a jar of little notes, guitar picks, a card, and chocolate.

This year we're going out to dinner and a movie. I have a few things in mind. I'm thinking a book or graphic novel we can read together. Definitely chocolate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships