Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:54 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Flirting, huh ?
Disgraceful.
Should be banned altogether. We should all go to parties and sit with our hands on our knees at a distance of no less than 3 feet apart.

I mean, how very DARE someone try to have a good time.

Guy should be in jail or deported or something.
With boys on one side of the room and girls on the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 10:14 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I'm guessing OP is still relatively young.
Yes, it's fairly common for a guy to put his hand on the small of your back (that's what that area is called) when having a flirty conversation, dancing, sometimes walking with you through a crowd, helping you into a crowded elevator, etc.
I don't see it as any kind of issue unless you really, really don't like any sort of physical contact from acquaintances or strangers, or if the guy lets his hand drift down to where it doesn't need to be.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:15 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
With boys on one side of the room and girls on the other.
Go old school school, separate rooms.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I think he is pushy and making assumptions. Maybe had a few drinks and in the party mood?

Just don't agree to date him, OP, until you know him a lot better., Maybe he is a bit socially awkward or maybe he has boundary issues. I tend to be suspicious of men who are pushy; they often have bad intentions.

A touch on the lower back depends upon circumstances. It's not out of the normal to guide a woman through a doorway, into a car, or through a crowd with a light touch on the back. Maybe not for a woman you just met 4 minutes prior.

It is seriously not OK to stand in front of a woman you met 5 minutes prior and place your arm around to her lower back like you are in dance position, which might be what happened here since the joking was about dancing.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:28 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Its a new world, honey. Prez says you grab em by the ***** and they hop into the sack. You are lucky it was only your waist. Guy was just being a gentleman.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:40 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornblueberries View Post
I was just wondering if men normally do that, touching a woman's waist without knowing her well?
Men? Normally? Some men, sometime. Count me in.

Remember, women have the choice of saying, "stop" and "no" and "get lost creep", or moving "a little closer".

Frightening, isn't it?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:50 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
He then placed his left hand on the back of my waist
No big deal to me. He was attracted to you, and you too were going to be part of the wedding. I've paired up with one of my wedding partners. *shrug*

Old 02-23-2017, 11:32 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Come back and complain when he actually touches you on more interesting places.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:51 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
While waiting for the processional at the reception, I was making small talk with my partner, who is my cousin's friend. He asked me if I was ready for the dance and for a split second I thought it was real, so i answered What dance? I realized he was joking. He laughed and said, I just wanted to see your reaction. He then placed his left hand on the back of my waist, above the backside for a few seconds. I thought it was strange, but did not say or do anything. He is my cousin's friend and I did not want to make a fuss.

Afterwards he seemed to be making jokes with me, like if he could twirl me as in a dance, and should he bring me to my table first. I kind of just laughed, since the photographers were taking pictures. I was just wondering if men normally do that, touching a woman's waist without knowing her well. If it was a friendly slap on the shoulder or arm, that's pretty common and i experience that frequently. Anyhow, the reason I'm asking is because other women say they don't like being touched that way even by friends. Shrug
I'm going to dissent and say I understand why that touching would bother you. That is sort of an initmate area to be touched by a stranger. I don't think dude had terrible intentions just tone deaf on appropriate touching of strangers.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:08 PM

953 posts, read 842,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Come back and complain when he actually touches you on more interesting places.
Oh, Eve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships