Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 11:20 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,357,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
"If you think it means steady sex"... Only if you are an a$$ applies. If this is what you think, then you are. And you get what you deserve after the glow wears off.
My point is that sex can and does drop off for some couples. Something like 20% of married couples have sex less than 10 times per year. That happens for a lot of overlapping reasons, and many of those reasons have to do with the man losing interest, so I'm not buying into the overused trope that women shut the door on sex because they're women and that's what women do.

But likewise, I'm not buying into the overused counter argument that sex stops because the man is a dolt, in and/or out of the bedroom. Men and women who are good, thoughtful marriage and sex partners sometimes find themselves in relatively sexless marriages. It's only logical that being a good partner makes it less likely that sex may drop off significantly, but it's no guarantee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 11:30 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,212,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
My point is that sex can and does drop off for some couples..
I agree. Since that is not what I was talking about, I am not sure why you quoted me. But all is well. I don't think anyone would argue with your statements.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
My point is that sex can and does drop off for some couples. Something like 20% of married couples have sex less than 10 times per year.

Wow seriously? That is horrible. Maybe I ought to rethink this marriage stuff, lol. Nah…I really don't think that will change in my case

Old 03-09-2017, 01:49 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,758,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Only if he is a complete a$$. Thankfully my husband isn't. He is an awesome, fun, engaged, caring man who views me as a wonderful, fun, funny engaged, caring PERSON not a domestic servant with a hole for his d!ck. Maybe THAT is why we have such a rocking sex life after 25 years and two kids! I know. Crazy talk.

Ditto, except I've been married for 15 years. My husband is my best friend and our family is everything. Couldn't imaging life without him

Old 03-09-2017, 03:43 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,025,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I hear this argument a lot too. I like to tell people I've learned from their mistakes and made an informed decision not to repeat them. You don't need to develop a heroin habit to know it won't be good for you, and I don't need to get married to know it would be hell on Earth. I'd turn it into one just to prove myself right.
You proved my point.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:55 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,835,543 times
Even if sex drops off, married couples still have sex more often than singles do, according to every stat I've ever read on the subject.

And that matches my experience as a single person verses as a married person.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:42 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,414,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Even if sex drops off, married couples still have sex more often than singles do, according to every stat I've ever read on the subject.

And that matches my experience as a single person verses as a married person.
Not all married couples, though. Some have entirely turned into sexless marriages. I know quite a few marriages like that. I know of one that lives across the street from me. He has complained to my Dad about how his wife won't have sex with him. He's in his late 40's, and she in her early 50's.

At least if you're single, you could freely have sex with anybody without needing to sneak around.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:15 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,813,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You proved my point.
I know myself well enough that marriage would be a disaster for me to enter into. Not anyone else but myself knows this.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:12 PM

52,370 posts, read 52,836,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I know myself well enough that marriage would be a disaster for me to enter into. Not anyone else but myself knows this.
I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong and may change your mind. You know you better than I could possibly.

Sometimes marriage for some people isn't something that is what they want. Heck, I'm in a LTR and not married. Everyone needs to do what works best for them.

Does your mom give you grief about being single or not married??? If I recall right you've got a sorta rocky relationship with her. The reason I ask is that my parents along with Mrs. Chow's parents never once gave us any grief about not being married, I think probably because both sets of parents have gone through multiple marriages and that probably added to the screw it mentality, if I were to guess.

I know you stated that you don't wants kids, me neither, did your mom give you any grief on that front?? Again, our parents were cool with us not having kids.

Some people have much more pressure from family for "traditional" values this is why I was asking.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:48 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,813,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong and may change your mind. You know you better than I could possibly.

Sometimes marriage for some people isn't something that is what they want. Heck, I'm in a LTR and not married. Everyone needs to do what works best for them.

Does your mom give you grief about being single or not married??? If I recall right you've got a sorta rocky relationship with her. The reason I ask is that my parents along with Mrs. Chow's parents never once gave us any grief about not being married, I think probably because both sets of parents have gone through multiple marriages and that probably added to the screw it mentality, if I were to guess.

I know you stated that you don't wants kids, me neither, did your mom give you any grief on that front?? Again, our parents were cool with us not having kids.

Some people have much more pressure from family for "traditional" values this is why I was asking.
In the past year or so, she has been more concerned about me not really having much of a dating life. I think the fact she went through a long divorce kind of heightened her concern about my romantic state or lack thereof. I think she is honestly worried that her lack of success in sustaining a marriage is causing me not to even want to try and consider finding someone I feel that way about.

I don't even know if I can say her concern isn't valid. The main problem I have right now is I can't even get a date at this point. Her concern as well as my lack of success is just frustrating me to no end. As far as marriage goes, it is just not something I feel I want to commit to. I feel honestly don't have a reason to consider it since I don't want kids anyway (she seems to agree with me that I would probably be a better father figure than an actual father.) I just can't say I want to give the rest of my life to someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships