Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:47 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,163,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
So I talked to him about it and asked why he suddenly became obsessed with my diet only after tying the knot.

His answer was that...

1) I was officially "his" (said this in a half joking way)

And, what I think is the real reason:

2) It was around then that he rushed to the doctor one night because he felt his heart rate being quicker than normal. He was fine, but he thinks that his heart was racing because we were eating a bad diet, so he went into crackdown mode for himself, and needed me to follow suit because he thought it was unfair for him to have to be the only one having to eat his self-imposed bland diet.

Thing is, we just have different health needs. He comes from very overweight stock who have to really watch their blood pressure and the like. They're always chilly, even in hot coastal SoCal weather.

Whereas, I come from a family of people who need a lot of calories to feel best. We're all slim (even after having kids), and run hot (I feel uncomfortable warm in a short sleeved shirt in still 10C weather). For us, we just have to be very careful to avoid smokers.

Not trying to ramble, but the point is that we do have different body types. Hell, we're even totally different blood types (he's A-, I'm B+).

I tried responding to him with all this, but his anxiety just seems to overrule rational thought. I don't think he's being malicious with his controlling behavior, I think it's a manifestation of his own anxiety.

I've complained about his behavior before, but I never thought to ask him why he only changed suddenly after marriage. And that has yielded some food for thought (pardon the pun) about what may be the real issue (his anxiety issues). So, thanks for those who pointed that out.
No wonder he didn't want you to travel without him and hates it when you come home from work late.

He really needs help for his anxiety. Unfortunately many of the medications that help with that also have weight gain as a side effect.

But he at least needs to look into getting help with coping skills so he can stop projecting his problems onto you. It's not fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 09:50 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,688,415 times
he sounds boring and selfish - not an attractive combo

Old 05-08-2017, 09:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
So I talked to him about it and asked why he suddenly became obsessed with my diet only after tying the knot.

His answer was that...

1) I was officially "his" (said this in a half joking way)

And, what I think is the real reason:

2) It was around then that he rushed to the doctor one night because he felt his heart rate being quicker than normal. He was fine, but he thinks that his heart was racing because we were eating a bad diet, so he went into crackdown mode for himself, and needed me to follow suit because he thought it was unfair for him to have to be the only one having to eat his self-imposed bland diet.

Thing is, we just have different health needs. He comes from very overweight stock who have to really watch their blood pressure and the like. They're always chilly, even in hot coastal SoCal weather.

Whereas, I come from a family of people who need a lot of calories to feel best. We're all slim (even after having kids), and run hot (I feel uncomfortable warm in a short sleeved shirt in still 10C weather). For us, we just have to be very careful to avoid smokers.

Not trying to ramble, but the point is that we do have different body types. Hell, we're even totally different blood types (he's A-, I'm B+).

I tried responding to him with all this, but his anxiety just seems to overrule rational thought. I don't think he's being malicious with his controlling behavior, I think it's a manifestation of his own anxiety.

I've complained about his behavior before, but I never thought to ask him why he only changed suddenly after marriage. And that has yielded some food for thought (pardon the pun) about what may be the real issue (his anxiety issues). So, thanks for those who pointed that out.
Somebody else's mental health issues affecting YOUR diet isn't acceptable.

I lived for five years with somebody with an OCD-related somatoform disorder and all kinds of weird anxieties and disordered thinking and behavior based around food, body, fitness (disordered eating is rarely acknowledged in men, but it exists). It was only one of the ways his mental health issues and refusal to treat them affected our relationship in the long run.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:18 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,482,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right, but it's not due to the fact that either of them changed their eating habits. It's only due to his feeling he could push her around once they were married. There was no "growing apart".
I'll respectfully disagree
He is acting to perseve something that he feels is threatened.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times
She's at liberty to set her own eating habits, regardless of his personal anxieties. Suffering from anxiety doesn't give you a license to control someone else.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:29 AM

102,303 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
That's all in his mind, though. And it's nothing new; she has the same diet she's always had, they've always eaten their own food, together.

He sounds like a bit of a mental case. I guess the health scare he had spooked him into going to this extreme. I guess you could call his sudden need (4 yrs ago) for a special diet, "growing apart". He departed from his previous norm. She hasn't grown anywhere, she's there doing her same old, same old thing.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:10 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,528,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Irrationally.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:28 PM

17,235 posts, read 57,240,779 times
Dump that chump,
dump that chump,
lose that loser
dump that chump!

Seriously. A fattie with mental issues. Just pull the dump lever and let it roll!

Old 05-09-2017, 04:34 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,120,170 times
He needs to get his anxiety under control. That's the only thing that will improve this situation. It's inappropriate for him to allow his anxiety to dictate your life.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:04 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,482,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Irrationally.
Impossible to say with only one side telling a story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships