Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times

Advertisements

You sound like a very cool person, so if you want to pursue this, I encourage you to step up your written game.

If you're both shy, messaging is a great opportunity to expresss yourself without "liquid courage."

If you haven't kissed her in 4 dates you have to flirt more in your DMs. Something has to intensify, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 09:00 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Sure it is but isn't she already doing that by ignoring his texts for days and only responding after he sends another? I get it that she probably doesn't see this relationship like he does and her apparent lack of effort kind of reinforces the idea that she sees him as nothing more than a friend, if that.
This is a classic "go away peacefully" move, a 2017 equivalent of ye olde "I have to wash my hair tonight." She's trying to frustrate the OP into giving up by being "busy" (read: difficult to communicate with). It's not the politest thing, but it's a harsh reality of the dating world. I know because back in my shy teenage days, I had girls give me the "busy" excuse when I asked them out. Fortunately, I got the hint after two or three attempts; I believed it the first time, then harbored (false) hope. Oh well, at least I didn't make enemies. One girl even offered to be friends, but back then, I didn't see benefit in it, so I politely turned her down.

Edited to add:
I realize that the OP's lady friend may be a slow communicator, and not uninterested. But when a woman's actions come off as lack of interest, it's enough to kill my own interest as well. I'll be polite about it (or maybe ghost, if need be), but I won't want to keep trying with her, either.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-02-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 09:03 AM

431 posts, read 352,472 times
Here's an idea, instead of texting why don't you just call her when you have something to say? That way you won't have to wait days for a response!

Then, man up and ask her what her feelings are and tell her yours, you know, like grown ups do!

OK, just busting your butt here a little. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2017, 09:46 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
What do you mean, you talk about sex?

You talk about having it together? About your sexual histories? What?

It seems beyond weird that you are engaging in sexy talk but when you are together you are chaste as children. Shouldn't titillating each other online translate into at least a kiss when together? I mean, for me, I would probably be attacking my sexting partner at first sight from pent up frustration.

What am I not understanding? Is this a generational thing?

Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,950 times
I don't get this. If so and so isn't reciprocating like you want then back off. Why is that such a hard concept to get?

Old 06-02-2017, 09:51 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It seems beyond weird that you are engaging in sexy talk but when you are together you are chaste as children.

Beyond weird is right. Sounds like platonic friends shooting the sheet. Not dates.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:15 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
It seems beyond weird that you are engaging in sexy talk but when you are together you are chaste as children. Shouldn't titillating each other online translate into at least a kiss when together? I mean, for me, I would probably be attacking my sexting partner at first sight from pent up frustration.
You know, this reminds me of a woman I once met online. I sent a message, she replied, yada yada yada. For the two weeks we talked, while messaging each other daily and chatting on AIM (it was that long ago ), she made raunchy jokes and references to herself being a good masseuse. But when I suggested meeting, she gave excuses about having been hurt before, and told me she wants to talk for another three weeks before meeting. That when something did not compute! Why would she be so "brave" online, but refuse to meet for a mundane 1-hour coffee date? I ended things with her there and then. Luckily, I met another woman online shortly later, went on a real date with her just ten days after sending the first message, and ended up seeing her (and all it entailed ) for a few months.

OP, your situation sounds awfully similar, although you and your lady friend at least met. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:27 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You sound like a very cool person, so if you want to pursue this, I encourage you to step up your written game.

If you're both shy, messaging is a great opportunity to expresss yourself without "liquid courage."

If you haven't kissed her in 4 dates you have to flirt more in your DMs. Something has to intensify, OP.
Thank you for the kind words. And I agree, I've gone over this in my head. I have to most definitely intensify the interaction between us. Whether or not she goes along with it, I have nothing to lose. It's much better to try and fail then to wonder and never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
This is a classic "go away peacefully" move, a 2017 equivalent of ye olde "I have to wash my hair tonight." She's trying to frustrate the OP into giving up by being "busy" (read: difficult to communicate with). It's not the politest thing, but it's a harsh reality of the dating world. I know because back in my shy teenage days, I had girls give me the "busy" excuse when I asked them out. Fortunately, I got the hint after two or three attempts; I believed it the first time, then harbored (false) hope. Oh well, at least I didn't make enemies. One girl even offered to be friends, but back then, I didn't see benefit in it, so I politely turned her down.

Edited to add:
I realize that the OP's lady friend may be a slow communicator, and not uninterested. But when a woman's actions come off as lack of interest, it's enough to kill my own interest as well. I'll be polite about it (or maybe ghost, if need be), but I won't want to keep trying with her, either.
Well, the thing is we actually hung out and plan on hanging out soon in fact. She sounded excited to hangout, so who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
Here's an idea, instead of texting why don't you just call her when you have something to say? That way you won't have to wait days for a response!

Then, man up and ask her what her feelings are and tell her yours, you know, like grown ups do!

OK, just busting your butt here a little. Good luck!
Haha. Thanks for the good luck.

Quote:
What do you mean, you talk about sex?

You talk about having it together? About your sexual histories? What?

What am I not understanding? Is this a generational thing?
Well, when we did discuss sex it seemed as if were hinting stuff to each other but not fully being direct. I'm usually more direct but I also understand some women can be a little intimated and are more protective of their sexuality. So when I notice they are like that, I tend to feel it out and see where my limits. Once I feel I can break that limit, I'll be more explicit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I don't get this. If so and so isn't reciprocating like you want then back off. Why is that such a hard concept to get?
Because we actually have hung out and communicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You know, this reminds me of a woman I once met online. I sent a message, she replied, yada yada yada. For the two weeks we talked, while messaging each other daily and chatting on AIM (it was that long ago ), she made raunchy jokes and references to herself being a good masseuse. But when I suggested meeting, she gave excuses about having been hurt before, and told me she wants to talk for another three weeks before meeting. That when something did not compute! Why would she be so "brave" online, but refuse to meet for a mundane 1-hour coffee date? I ended things with her there and then. Luckily, I met another woman online shortly later, went on a real date with her just ten days after sending the first message, and ended up seeing her (and all it entailed ) for a few months.

OP, your situation sounds awfully similar, although you and your lady friend at least met. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh heck no. I don't deal with women like that at all. The moment she makes 1000 excuses to not hangout, I throw any relationship like that in the trash. I'm patient but not at all that patient.

Like I mentioned before, her and I actually hung out so it's not like she never wants to hangout.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:06 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,778 times
4 dates and no kiss?

Go for the kiss next time!

Old 06-02-2017, 01:12 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Well, I don't know. My initial reaction was, "She's travelling for hours to see you, or you're meeting in the middle somewhere, or taking turns driving out of state for each other, and you don't know if she's interested?!" If you're doing all the driving, then yeah, maybe she's not that into you. If she's doing some of the travelling, she'd have to be pretty interested, in order to be motivated to cover that distance.

Why don't you CALL her, OP? Do you two ever have phone chats? You can tell a lot more from a live phone convo than from dead texting. Just saying. I think you're still in the game. What do these hang-outs consist of? Maybe dial it up a notch, and buy her lunch. That should send a signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships