Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Do yourself a favor. Stop listening to this garbage. It isn't that online dating has ruined anything (quite the opposite) its this overthinking and over analyzing and trying to deduce nefarious intentions in anything. Things in reality aren't much different than thirty years ago. People meet, there is chemistry and attraction (or not), fi there is, it is explored and things work out, or they don't. Simple. It's our minds that get in the way, and this pop psych (and even worse, crud pop biology), that we allow to interfere that messes blank up.
Thats your opinion. Much of it comes from people with PHDs in Psychology, not "pop" psychology. Its not just B.S., its real science of dating and the differences between men and women. That's what I study. And I disagree, things are VERY different than 30 years ago. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 07:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Lots of 'coping' in this thread about the non-existence of "market value". Yes it is a thing and based on biology and loss of "glow"

Well, I'm a 45 year old dude and I don't see it at all. It's "biology" with a small "b", in other words, biological based rationalizations from people with no biological training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Thats your opinion. Much of it comes from people with PHDs in Psychology, not "pop" psychology. Its not just B.S., its real science of dating and the differences between men and women. That's what I study. And I disagree, things are VERY different than 30 years ago. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.
Really? You're reading peer reviewed journal articles and non pop psychology articles and blogs on it?

Ok, I took that you're reading pop stuff on the web and in general magazines (not scientific journals). My bad.

The one difference in dating between now and 30 years ago is that I'm 30 years older. That is the one legit difference.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:59 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
It is slim for most of us. I listen to relationship podcasts and read a lot of psychology books. The thing that's changed a lot from the male perspective (as it relates to online dating specifically, which has ruined us) is this feeling women have of an abundance of available "bigger better deals" as it relates to men. Hence they have a list of 53 "must haves", rather than 5 must haves and many "nice to haves". I've been through this exercise myself, and I know what my must haves are. Its not a huge list.
Maybe your problem is the overanalyzing and overdoing it. I just dumped a guy after 3 months of dating because everything he said and did seemed like he read it somewhere. He tried to manipulate me into liking him more by acting like he has the same hobbies. He tried to tell me my SMV (Sexual Market Value) goes down every year - to make me think I am soooo glad that I have found him. Doing those texting games - if I don't respond right away, he doesn't respond anymore either so I miss him more. He spoke about marriage right away, when he realized I don't care, he spoke about me not having to work anymore if I stick with him. Whatever I said I want or like, he was totally into it "since a long time" - total lies. He was so desperate to get me to like him, I started resenting him until I couldn't take it anymore. And he was controlling, too - trying to be with me every minute and trying to please me so badly that I couldn't even respect him anymore.

Be yourself man, don't get too much into relationship classes/readings/podcast, you are ruining the fun out of relationships by analyzing every peep she says.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:01 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
I'll take advice from people with experience, otherwise they're just guessing and making observations. My own experience is much more fact based than reading about someone else's observations.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Be yourself man, don't get too much into relationship classes/readings/podcast, you are ruining the fun out of relationships by analyzing every peep she says.

Too many people do this. Dating is about having fun.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:05 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Then you probably know what confirmation bias means. Yes, dating is different thanks to the internet. People now have access to a larger pool. And, at first, that can make it feel like you have a lot of options. But talk to anyone who's done online dating and they'll voice the same complaint. "I see the same profiles year after year." IMO, you're frustrated with dating and looking to blame the people in the dating pool or the times we live in. But despite how technology has changed our lives, I think the fundamentals are the same. OLD is just giving you alternative ways of meeting someone.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:18 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,939 times
Quote:
Maybe your problem is the overanalyzing and overdoing it. I just dumped a guy after 3 months of dating because everything he said and did seemed like he read it somewhere. He tried to manipulate me into liking him more by acting like he has the same hobbies. He tried to tell me my SMV (Sexual Market Value) goes down every year - to make me think I am soooo glad that I have found him. Doing those texting games - if I don't respond right away, he doesn't respond anymore either so I miss him more. He spoke about marriage right away, when he realized I don't care, he spoke about me not having to work anymore if I stick with him. Whatever I said I want or like, he was totally into it "since a long time" - total lies. He was so desperate to get me to like him, I started resenting him until I couldn't take it anymore. And he was controlling, too - trying to be with me every minute and trying to please me so badly that I couldn't even respect him anymore.

Yup, blows my mind how some of these 40+ year olds still play games. A 47 year old guy I briefly dated said he was so surprised how direct I was with him and how I didn't play games. I was like, really? Who are these women you date? It turns out he plays games himself, that's why. I could've sworn he bought those pay-for-texts to prove how many women were after him. He would tell me how he had to cancel a date just right before our date. The list went on...

Maybe I'm being too assertive and men don't like that, but if I really like you, I'm going to ask you out if you haven't already. I'm getting too old to be that 16 year old girl waiting for her dream guy to approach her. If I get rejected, I move on. I don't know why, but I don't mind getting rejected. It really motivates me to better myself after I get rejected. If I don't like you, I will tell you I'm not interested. Often times, I'll even tell them the real reason why it didn't work out.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
Yup, blows my mind how these 40+ year olds still play games. A 47 year old guy I briefly dated said he was so surprised how direct I was with him and how I didn't play games. I was like, really? Who are these women you date? It turns out he plays games himself, that's why. I could've sworn he bought those pay-for-texts to prove how many women were after him. He would tell me how he had to cancel a date just right before our date. The list went on...

Maybe I'm being too assertive and men don't like that, but if I really like you, I'm going to ask you out if you haven't already. I'm getting too old to be that 16 year old girl waiting for her dream guy to approach her. If I get rejected, I move on. I don't know why, but I don't mind getting rejected. It really motivates me to better myself after I get rejected. If I don't like you, I will tell you I'm not interested. Often times, I'll even tell them the real reason why it didn't work out.

Holy crud that is classless

Old 06-27-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:

That sounds more like a character flaw to me. This stuff actually helps me and I don't manipulate anyone. How can learning to communicate better with the opposite sex be seen as a negative?

Old 06-27-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
Yup, blows my mind how some of these 40+ year olds still play games. A 47 year old guy I briefly dated said he was so surprised how direct I was with him and how I didn't play games. I was like, really? Who are these women you date? It turns out he plays games himself, that's why. I could've sworn he bought those pay-for-texts to prove how many women were after him. He would tell me how he had to cancel a date just right before our date. The list went on...

Amen! That's how you should be! Wish more women were like you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships