Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 06:00 PM

710 posts, read 584,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Guys who are currently not cracking the "5" barrier actually have it easier than gals where this is true. A gal with a homely face can do whatever, but most guys won't want to date her. Much of a woman's appeal, at least to me, is pretty much hard wired in her genes. That ain't fair, but, life ain't fair.
Women have makeup at their disposal (which can pretty much transform their looks) and aren’t generally expected to approach, so I don’t see how they would have it harder. Also, I think an ugly girl who had a nice body and took care of herself would still be approached by guys. Maybe not the best looking ones but would probably still get approached nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 06:10 PM

639 posts, read 376,510 times
I'm not buying the character argument tbh. I see way too many girls with people that are horrible for them to buy into it.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:41 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Lack of attraction, sure. But I've 'friend-zoned' many men for other reasons. Seen that they are bad boyfriends/cheaters/etc. or any type of trait that I don't find desirable in a mate.
Same here. Sometimes it is a compatibility issue that I can tolerate or overlook as a friend, but wouldn't want to sign up for in a relationship. For instance, how they manage their money, or how much they drink or smoke, or being a slob, or too OCD. Being too wishy-washy or being too opinionated. Or even if they use too much vulgar language. There could be hundreds of reasons why I might like someone as a person and a friend, but I would not want to seek anything beyond friendship.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:44 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
When I suspect he's gay.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
No romantic interest.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:01 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times
I am about to give up hope on finding the special someone ..

Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 PM

926 posts, read 673,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
When you have a friend of the opposite sex you usually get along well and have a connection with that person have similliar interests etc

What makes a person who you connect with a potential person you could have a relationship with and not the friend?

Is it a lack of physical attraction? Something else? Both?
Gotta say JBT, just when I gave up on you, you end up making a thread with a valid question...wtf?

Well, obviously, the first thing is chem....(you know that as well as I do)....2nd thing is physical attraction (and I don't necessarily mean they gotta be ripped...if their face is attractive and sometimes sexy to ME, then it's ON...! )

Once those things are out of the way, then it all boils down to his personality: The way he carries himself, the way he treats other people (whether he's with me or not), the way he treats ME, if he's into at least some of the things I'm into (seriously though, if he's NOT into TWD, that could be a deal breaker, because I want my guy to be into that and watch it with me and so I can have someone to talk to about it besides my besties ), if he's respectful towards me and is loving, caring, affectionate, FAITHFUL and is FUN to be with....

All those things would help me to decide if he's someone I'd want to be in a LTR with ~

Old 10-13-2017, 11:54 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Same here. Sometimes it is a compatibility issue that I can tolerate or overlook as a friend, but wouldn't want to sign up for in a relationship. For instance, how they manage their money, or how much they drink or smoke, or being a slob, or too OCD. Being too wishy-washy or being too opinionated. Or even if they use too much vulgar language. There could be hundreds of reasons why I might like someone as a person and a friend, but I would not want to seek anything beyond friendship.
My sentiments exactly! There was one guy that was very much in love with me and would always ask why I wouldn't be in a relationship with him and I'm like dude you have cheated on every girlfriend you've had. While I know you love me but once you get comfortable in the relationship you're going to cheat and I'm not going to play myself into thinking otherwise. Then the fact that he was very irresponsible when it came to money and never held a job at one place for very long without changing career paths on a whim.

There are specific things I need in a partner that I will not waiver where as friendships aren't held in that same regard since I won't be combining assets, blinding families, etc. with a "friend"

Old 10-14-2017, 07:29 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The male friends I had that I tried to turn into lovers and ultimately failed was because they revealed weak personalities. They were selfish or scared or inattentive or insecure or mealy-mouthed once faced with a real live love interest.

There was a reason they were generally unsuccessful in relationships.
I would be hesitant to keep them as friends much less lovers.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:37 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Is it a lack of physical attraction? ?
Yes. If our magnets aren't trying to draw our bodies together, it's a friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships