Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times

Advertisements

My ex and I divorced in '99 and she still goes by my last name. We have sons together who have my last name. I don't see the big deal myself. Doesn't bother my wife in the least bit that my ex still goes by my last name. In fact, my ex SIL still goes by our last name. My wife has had people agree with her that, if no kids were involved she could take back her maiden name, but, with kids, keep her married last name. Don't know anybody around here who made a big deal over a last name.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowowee View Post
Well I guess you can take the truck since he CLEARLY did not obey what he was supposed to do. I don't know but, I would not even give him the truck in the first place even if I don't want it.
No I legally cannot without a court order. What would happen is I would have to pay a couple thousand dollars, my attorney would file contemp charges, we would go to court, I would pay another $1k and the judge would tell him he has 30 days to put the truck in his name. I have other things to spend money on, besides an old truck, that has to be on its last legs...

Old 12-11-2017, 09:50 AM

235 posts, read 148,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
No I legally cannot without a court order. What would happen is I would have to pay a couple thousand dollars, my attorney would file contemp charges, we would go to court, I would pay another $1k and the judge would tell him he has 30 days to put the truck in his name. I have other things to spend money on, besides an old truck, that has to be on its last legs...
Like I said, I would not give him the truck in the first place..... Like I said you are low on luck coz of your own doing. And if he pays insurance to protect you then why do you even bring it up on your OP like it's a big deal?

Old 12-11-2017, 10:09 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowowee View Post
Like I said, I would not give him the truck in the first place..... Like I said you are low on luck coz of your own doing. And if he pays insurance to protect you then why do you even bring it up on your OP like it's a big deal?
I was just mentioning the truck on how the name conversation started.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:02 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
Something tells me there is more to someone hating the fact you keep your old name than just the name itself based on your post history here.

If all you want to hear is that you’re ok to keep your old name than I guess you’re going to get that from me. Keep it if that’s what suits you, but understand how that may reflect on to other aspects of your life while trying to build a new one with others.

“independence” doesn’t make or fix broken bonds, It keeps them apart.

Last edited by rego00123; 12-11-2017 at 12:24 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 03:23 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why would you want the daily reminder of an ex?
It'd be pretty heartless to dump the kid...

...or you meant the name?

I guess, when you've married and had a child with someone it might be impossible to eliminate all reminders of that person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I married young, and have been divorced a really long time. I kept my ex husbands last name so that my daughter and I would have the same last name. It just made sense at the time because I assumed I would remarry and my daughter and I could both change to the new husbands last name. Obviously that never happened.

This weekend, following an issue with my ex husbands truck, still in my name, my ex husband casually mentioned to my brother that if I changed my last name, his issues would not involve me. (The truck being put in his name would resolve the issues...)

So then my bf of several years, mentioned it bothers him that I use my ex husbands name. To me it is just a name. It sounds better than my maiden name, easier to spell and same as my daughter.

I would love to have the same last name as both my children, but I think it is to late to make name changes. I regret giving my son his fathers last name instead of using my current last name.

The last time my last name came up, I thought of just using my grandparents last name but that is confusing also.

Do names really matter? Should my bf be bothered that I have the same last night as my ex husband? My gut just says let it go and this too shall pass...
More evidence that changing your name at marriage is a no-longer-needed tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships