Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 08:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

What age do men start getting shamed? I'm 46 and clearly haven't reached it yet.

Who pushed me to have kids?

Normal isn't a construct though, not if you think of it scientifically from a statistical point of view. There is a normal distribution, aka a bell curve. That isn't a societal construct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 10:47 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Call it what you will. I'm just sick and tired of the assumption that x or y is 'healthy' or 'normal' and anyone outside those parameters needs therapy to help them get with the programme and be like everyone else, sometimes at the expense of being themselves.

That's fine. But common sense check here..... if you don't want to read about relationships...... then don't read the Relationship subforum?

Cmon. If you don't like Dogs don't go to the Dog subforum, if you hate traveling don't go in the Travel subforum......

You are intentionally seeking out information then claiming offense.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-11-2018, 10:49 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
I don't know. They seem pretty synonymous to me.
Nope, and I agree with whole forget normal..... but I'll take healthy.

I started off attachment avoidant through most of my 20s and partly into my 30s, but worked through that over time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-11-2018, 11:17 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

As an aside, I'm curious at the choice of words. Bad at committing to a relationship means, to me, making at commitment and being bad at it. There is loads of that out there. Being very selective isn't being bad at committing to relationships, that's a good thing, committing willy nilly is the negative. Unless I see potential for the relationship I want (a lifetime relationship with marriage), then I see no reason to commit. That's going to be an extremely rare event.
Yes!

Old 03-11-2018, 03:09 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
How do you "Fix" yourself? I should read this, as I'm sure I have this! Need to let go of fear of being trapped or making the wrong decision? I'm hoping there will be some responses here.....thanks for bringing it up?
Maybe not so much as "fix yourself" as in finding the root cause. This usually requires some kind of therapy.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:14 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Call it what you will. I'm just sick and tired of the assumption that x or y is 'healthy' or 'normal' and anyone outside those parameters needs therapy to help them get with the programme and be like everyone else, sometimes at the expense of being themselves.
Well, do you and be you. People are different, and there are some people who actually want to "get with the programme and be like everyone else". This thread is probably more for them than people like you and me.

So let's shout it from the mountaintops.

I AM ME and ME is I!!!

But let's make sure that we are not trying to convince ourselves.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
OP, I agree with much of this. My parents were not emotionally available and I grew up lonely. Didn't help that we lived in a military town and people moved in and out with alarming irregularity. I'd make a friend, and one day they just wouldn't show up at school, never to be heard from again.

I know that led to issues with my husband. I'm not sure my avoidance of attachment has really prevented me from forming a loving relationship since then. Most of the guys I've met since are far more avoidant than I am. I think women have more strategies for coping with this kind of thing than men do.

However, it has led to me having challenges making casual friends, especially with women. People always move on, and for a while I was very hurt by it. Or I would make efforts to form relationships, only to find out that the other person had no interest in connecting with me. To the point where i just stopped trying so hard.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:39 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Normal isn't a construct though, not if you think of it scientifically from a statistical point of view. There is a normal distribution, aka a bell curve. That isn't a societal construct.
I was talking about "normal" in a "peer pressure" sense. Basically, being what the society says you have to be: married or at least in a serious relationship, if you're a man in your 30's. I wasn't talking about "normal" in a statistical sense: closer to the median than the outliers.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-12-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 06:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Or I could stay as I am, pay no attention to what the world and his wife thinks I should do to be 'normal' and keep life simple. How about that?
Paying no attention to others' relationships and opinions on them would mean none of us, including you, would be here on CD-R.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:26 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Hah. I'm reading the book about this concept, "Attached" - I took the quiz and ended up with roughly the same number of points for avoidant, anxious and secure relationship types. Go figure.

I find the premise of the book problematic - that everyone deep down wants to be partnered in a loving relationship. Um, maybe some people just want to do their own thing? It also asserts that you rarely change your relationship type and there's little crossover between the three categories.

However, it has good insights about conducting yourself in a relationship, and even if ultimately I don't necessarily want to be in one, those skills are just good for life in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships