Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 06:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
He isn't a post office dude. He runs it. If you look at the USPS, it is setup like a corporation. Think of him as in middle management. The benefits were beneficial to her medical condition... not to mention a path to legal status. They knew each other but not intimately nor romantically. Certainly not a wealthy guy... he had a home.. single... no kids.. both middle aged.

But I agree with you.... anything sex, money, security are all things of value. Which is exactly my point. When we think of cases like this, it doesn't necessarily mean only the wealthy.

Also keep in mind that it is assumed we are talking about cases in which things of value were the primary foundation of the marriage rather than love and companionship. I also don't think it in of itself is wrong. Marriage has been used for every reason on the sun outside of love/companionship... money, power, influence, uniting bloodlines, uniting kingdoms, to stop wars, as a political leverage etc. People make their own choices. If money is that important in your life, you might as well marry for wealth.
So how is it you know this middle management fellow was married for his money, with the wife not loving him? Did she tell you so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 06:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
A few. Considering the fact that a very small percentage of U.S. men (or, anybody, really), comparatively, is wealthy; then among those wealthy, those guys get to "pick" a trophy, the best-looking of the best-looking.
I’ve had old men hitting on me with the promise of social security checks. (there used to be a restaurant in the neighboring next to mine that attracted these men. It happened to all my friends too.)

Old 03-23-2018, 06:47 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I’ve had old men hitting on me with the promise of social security checks. (there used to be a restaurant in the neighboring next to mine that attracted these men. It happened to all my friends too.)
Oh dear!

That wasn't you fishing for free food, though.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:13 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So how is it you know this middle management fellow was married for his money, with the wife not loving him? Did she tell you so?
I knew her and the circles she moved through. When she was healthy we kinda hit it off (not in that way). She remembered me specifically because she thought an Asian dude, raised American, but would greet her in Russian was a novelty. I found her home life very interesting... she is the only Tatar I've ever met. Unusually quiet she opened up to me back then. Thus when we crossed paths after a few years had passed, we were quite surprised and she told me what had happened. I also know the guy in passing. I think he genuinely cares for her but its not romantic.. middle aged.. not really social. She really needed status, health benefits, and some help financially until she recovers. I don't think money was the primary reason but as I said... it happens at all income levels..

I don't know if she fully recovered... she stopped replying to texts just like before. Ghosting of sorts.. not uncommon for me... and I don't take it personally under these circumstances.

Last edited by usayit; 03-23-2018 at 07:22 PM..

Old 03-23-2018, 07:25 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I have had it suggested to me. However, I'm not willing to pretend to be interested in someone just to get food. I don't have the energy for it. Plus I'd feel bad.
I don't understand how it's even very valuable. Unless it's an upscale place, I guess. Dining out is half about enjoying the outing with whoever. I guess someone who has a bit of grifter in them could trade poor company for a great steak, or some other expensive meal they can't afford on their own.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Most successful men - the presumed targets - aren't poor company, because it's increasingly hard to do well in this world without a popular personality.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:57 PM

87 posts, read 58,386 times
I could certainly do that every night of the week, but, seriously that is way to much work for a dinner. I will scrounge up $2 and eat tuna and watch Netflix if I'm that hungry and hold my dog.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
"She just wanted a free dinner" is the whine of a man who just got jilted.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:22 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
I don’t think women intentionally do this, it just happens to be an added benefit of being a single woman on the dating market.

Women rarely choose where they want to eat anyway. As a single men, you’re going to pay for a crapload of free dinners and other worthless things for women, just accept it.

And when you get married, you’ll be required to buy them even more crap. Make no mistake, women have dumped/divorced men who they feel aren’t treating them like a princess.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:57 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
I can say I used OLD for free entertainment, not necessarily anyone paying for my dinner, whether they did or not wasn't my intention.

I'd rather explore a new restaurant, attraction, area, etc., with someone of my choosing. I liked going out with someone I found attractive physically or personality-wise who may provide an interesting experience.

I suppose if the meeting didn't turn out how they wanted, and they paid for anything, they could stretch that action in their head into one of me using them, but what happens if I'm the one who paid and it didn't lead anywhere? Did I ever look at them as using me for a free dinner? No. Not one time. I'm not insecure in that way that would make me feel I'm only good for my money. I have a lot more to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships