Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:12 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,531,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
At risk of offending with this analogy, I bought a new car recently. It's not the car I would have bought if I could have bought any car I wanted. But within the options actually available to me, I feel like I made a good choice, and I'm quite happy with it.

So did I settle, or did I choose wisely?
You settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 11:23 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,492,391 times
“Settiling” is not a bad world or action.
It’s the context in which it is taken that defines it as such.

You’re going to get a lot of “perspective” definitions with this question.

if we are to take it as just the action alone in context of commitment to one other?
yes, we are choosing to “settle”

compromise is an inherent aspect of relations, it’s cannot be stripped away or removed.

The opposite of “settling” would be refusing all commitments and remaining a free agent with free agency.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:23 AM

20,714 posts, read 16,493,129 times
Quote:
At risk of offending with this analogy, I bought a new car recently. It's not the car I would have bought if I could have bought any car I wanted. But within the options actually available to me, I feel like I made a good choice, and I'm quite happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
You settled.
So you consider anything less than 100% of what you want, even if such a person does not exist in the entire universe, to be settling?

And you consider any "settling" at all to be unacceptable?

And finally, do you imagine that anyone could meet your expectations 100%?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:28 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,531,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So you consider anything less than 100% of what you want, even if such a person does not exist in the entire universe, to be settling?
Yes. That's the definition.

Lucky for me.. I don't have such unrealistic standards.

Quote:
And you consider any "settling" at all to be unacceptable?
Never said that.

Quote:
And finally, do you imagine that anyone could meet your expectations 100%?
Yes.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:52 AM

29,792 posts, read 34,600,981 times
Quote:
PM me if you want to learn more about me.

As far as this thread is concerned, please stay on topic.
You have zero credibility to call yourself any kind of expert on relationships or psychology if you provide no context for this expertise. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 04-04-2018, 11:55 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,894,059 times
Quote:

My question is did you really need a new car as a necessity? Would you have been ok driving the old car for a while longer until something came out that you went wild and crazy over? I had the same analogy, I’ve been thinking about trading my SUV in but ultimately decided not to because it still serves my needs for now. I don’t look at not upgrading as a bad thing because a new car isn’t a necessity.

This is an angle I attack love from. It is not a necessity for me to fall in love marry or have kids. That is why I don’t feel inclined to settle for my mate. Why settle when I’m perfectly okay not being in a relationship? I think more should realize being single at 30-35 isn’t the end of the world so they don’t have to settle.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,154,262 times
Not the ones I know.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:10 PM

1,078 posts, read 945,347 times
Quote:
You settled.
If you think choosing from the realistic options available to you is settling, you’re self absorbed and think far too highly of your own dating capital, and will probably be very lonely.

A good looking, employed, kind woman can choose from any number of partners. But she can’t have Orlando Bloom, no matter how much she might think he’s her perfect fit and she deserves him. She isn’t even entitled to a model or tech CEO or chess champion.

Settling, by my definition, is picking a materially unsuitable mate with a major mismatch in values, goals, or beliefs, and hoping that dedication and time will make a match from two people who have no real shared basis to grow a relationship. It’s not about having someone who checks all the dream boxes, but the person who ticks off the few basic ground level boxes and stimulates a desire in you for more of their personal, unique outlook. They are someone you grow with, not someone who actively stifles you or puts you at odds with where you want to be. Settling is ending the search with a genuinely unsuitable partner, not realizing your spouse isn’t everything you ever dreamed and therefore you’re better off without them.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:23 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,579,313 times
No, I won't settle. But it depends on what you mean by settling. My expectations are that a man is responsible, ambitious, empathetic and an all around great person to be with. So no, I wouldn't settle for anyone who is neither of those things.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:30 PM

35,422 posts, read 17,340,557 times
Quote:
Would you say that most people don't end up with their "ideal partner"?

If so. Why?

If not. Why?
You only know it you have a time machine to peer 20 years into the future. I'm happily married almost 27 years. My wife was definitely not my parents' choice or the choice of others close to me. I basically like my four inlaws but their relationship with each other verges on hatred. My mother-in-law and my stepfather-in-law had a litany of complaints about my wife.

But she's been, more than on balance, a great spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships