Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 07:37 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,179,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
So if she ghosted you after months/years of dating, you'd still think the same?
If it's been months or years, then we're probably in a relationship. So it's a bit different.

If there was no title or it hadn't progressed to anything other than a few dates, I wouldn't be that bothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 08:01 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,730,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
So if she ghosted you after months/years of dating, you'd still think the same?
I was "ghosted" after a few years. It suuuucked, however I was young. It wasn't really a relationship. I just really liked the guy and got attached. It was really a "friendship." I didn't really know any better. Now, I wouldn't let it get that far without some type of relationship having formed.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:29 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,314,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Is it rude when men ghost women? None of the men will answer that question it seems.
Ghosting is rude period. It doesn't matter if a man or woman does it. You don't like someone? Have the balls to tell them instead of disappearing.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:33 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Ghosting is rude period. It doesn't matter if a man or woman does it. You don't like someone? Have the balls to tell them instead of disappearing.
Genuinely serious question here, I realise that it’s not strictly in keeping with the thread, but it’s close enough.
Prior to seeing this thread, I had no idea what ghosting was, if I’d thought about it, I’d have wondered if it was something like mistaking a person for someone else, or being mistaken for someone else.
I know that pretending to not be who you really are is catfishing, I think, but until I Googled ghosting, I had no idea that it meant cutting off all contact with someone, without giving any reason.
So my question is, does this come under the umbrella of ghosting too.
Two of my nieces, and their husbands, are in a WhatsApp group, with one other couple.
Suddenly, the husband of one of my niece’s has stopped texting, or replying to texts, from the husband of the other couple, but will happily communicate with the guy’s wife.
Here I stress that there is nothing whatsoever unseemly going on, they are (or were), all friends who’ve known each other since grade school, going to parties together, weekend trips away, weddings etc.
The husband who won’t text the other guy, steadfastly refuses to give a reason, but his wife suspects that he sent the other guy a cartoon, ridiculing ISIS, and the other guy, being a tad PC, didn’t like it, and admonished him for doing so, but nobody really knows if this is actually the reason, so they’re intrigued, as I am too.
So, is it ghosting, or does ghosting only apply to a couple who have dated.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,031,867 times
^ Yes, that's it. Dropping off the face of the earth without warning, after having had some sort of firm association with the person where contact would have definitely been expected. I think of ghosting as: the disappearance is so dramatic and unexpected that you would actually wonder if the person was in the hospital or something.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:22 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
^ Yes, that's it. Dropping off the face of the earth without warning, after having had some sort of firm association with the person where contact would have definitely been expected. I think of ghosting as: the disappearance is so dramatic and unexpected that you would actually wonder if the person was in the hospital or something.
Thanks JerZ.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:09 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Genuinely serious question here, I realise that it’s not strictly in keeping with the thread, but it’s close enough.
Prior to seeing this thread, I had no idea what ghosting was, if I’d thought about it, I’d have wondered if it was something like mistaking a person for someone else, or being mistaken for someone else.
I know that pretending to not be who you really are is catfishing, I think, but until I Googled ghosting, I had no idea that it meant cutting off all contact with someone, without giving any reason.
So my question is, does this come under the umbrella of ghosting too.
Two of my nieces, and their husbands, are in a WhatsApp group, with one other couple.
Suddenly, the husband of one of my niece’s has stopped texting, or replying to texts, from the husband of the other couple, but will happily communicate with the guy’s wife.
Here I stress that there is nothing whatsoever unseemly going on, they are (or were), all friends who’ve known each other since grade school, going to parties together, weekend trips away, weddings etc.
The husband who won’t text the other guy, steadfastly refuses to give a reason, but his wife suspects that he sent the other guy a cartoon, ridiculing ISIS, and the other guy, being a tad PC, didn’t like it, and admonished him for doing so, but nobody really knows if this is actually the reason, so they’re intrigued, as I am too.

So, is it ghosting, or does ghosting only apply to a couple who have dated.
In this situation, I my mind, it's one of several other things since the supposedly ghosted person is still known to be alive and 'well' whereas in a true ghosting situation, that is not the case.
"You" don't know whether they have stopped communicating because they chose not to or if they're prevented somehow for doing so, like being dead or something.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:59 PM

777 posts, read 453,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Multiple unreturned messages is definitely ghosting.

But not reaching out and asking someone out who expressed interest in you in person, is definitely not ghosting. A person isn't owned anything just because they expressed some interest. I am under no obligation to reach out to someone who said "hey, I'd go out with you again" or "I'd be interested in seeing you again" just to tell them I have no interest in asking them out. Me not taking the initiative to reach out and diss them is in no way ghosting.

But if people want a response, and expect a response, as a question. A clear question. It's very simple.
Gotta disagree here. If someone explicitly expressed interest in seeing you again and gets crickets in response, it's rude at best, ghosting at worst.

Is it that hard to say, sorry, not interested?

I was once the person following up with someone I'd seen three dates and hadn't heard from again. I appreciate him answering me instead of being a ghost. That's the kind of man I could run into again on a chance encounter and respect.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:00 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,586,154 times
She should have to pay the invoice, ghosting is for cowards and retards. (regardless of gender etc)
That said I don't think I'd send the invoice, I have been pissed off when ghosted though. I mean when I was like 20 and ran into my first ghosts, I didn't get wtf was up and kept trying to contact them etc, but at this point it's like ghosting is the norm so if I was dating new girls again, the first thing I expect after a date is getting ghosted.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:53 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,031,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
She should have to pay the invoice, ghosting is for cowards and retards. (regardless of gender etc)
That said I don't think I'd send the invoice, I have been pissed off when ghosted though. I mean when I was like 20 and ran into my first ghosts, I didn't get wtf was up and kept trying to contact them etc, but at this point it's like ghosting is the norm so if I was dating new girls again, the first thing I expect after a date is getting ghosted.
If you expect it have you considered doing some thinking as to what may be behind it? People don't get ghosted every time...in fact it seems infrequent enough that people get seriously irritated. And some freak out (like the guy in this story). So although it happens it's not usually expected, per se. If it can still come as a shock I'd say that means it's far from the expectation.

What sorts of women are you picking? I'd start there but that's just me. I'd also try to think about how the first dates were going down, and trying hard to pick up on non-verbal cues. Something is amiss if you get "ghosted" so many times that you actually expect it.

I know the temptation is there to just say the opposite sex "does this" routinely or whatever but honestly, does it make much sense that 51% of the nation is 100% normal and healthy and has been raised correctly yet the other 49% is full-on nightmare rude Doesn't make much sense. Boys and girls may sometimes still be raised differently in some families but we're all still human beings in the same society, together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships