Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 09:28 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
It's the million dollar question, but just for my area, in my opinion since I lived here anyway, people don't seem as open to getting to know new people, so that may be part of it. And in public people really go out of their way to avoid eye contact. Even a few of the singles events that I went to in the past (when they actually had them) Very few people participated in the ice breakers, or seemed interested in talking to anyone, I remember one lady who put on the event being very frustrated about it.

Maybe people just don't want to put much effort into trying to meet people new, and just want fate to intervene at a gas station or bump into someone in a hallway and instant attraction

Proximity used the be the #1 determing factor of attraction. I think that's still true IF you are constantly near someone. I always said that if you had equal amounts of men and women stranded on a deserted island together, they're going to start hooking up and bumping uglies. But nowadays, we don't HAVE be near each other much anymore thanks to technology and busy lives.

I guess you have to talk to each other through Textsnapchattweetemail to get that "constantly near each other" feel. But I say no thanks to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 09:29 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Even the hobby specific ones like hiking, kayaking, board games, or name that hobby you're into?
Sierra Club has good singles hikes but I never met anybody when I was active. It was good exercise though, and fun. Check out Sierra Singles hikes. You can find them online for almost any place in the nation.

If I saw a backgammon/chouette meet I'd go if it was a reasonable distance. I haven't seen any. I'd go for that even if it was totally not singles, not dating. The game used to be much more popular a few decades ago.

I enjoy art and crafts but haven't seen any that interest me. I'd be pretty good there because I've been an artist and crafter my whole life.

I thought of starting a soapmaking MeetUp but I won't have strangers in my house and I haven't been able to imagine a venue that would take us. The legal risk of using dangerous chemicals (lye) bother me too.

Same for cooking, won't have strangers in my house, can't find a venue that would have the right facilities that I could imagine would let us use them. I can't imagine a restaurant letting a group in their kitchen for reasons of legal liability.

My most recent interest is temporary body art (henna, jagua) but once again I'm not going to risk a lawsuit if somebody has a negative reaction to henna or jagua. This bums me out because I need partners with art talent for obvious reasons. It would be a fun meeting if not for the legal exposure.

And yet... OLD is working perfeclty fine for me. I don't understand why the pressure to use MeetUp instead of OLD. Maybe you didn't do as well with OLD as I have. For me OLD is worth every penny.

Just curious ThisTown, how has your success been with MeetUp?

Old 07-26-2018, 09:30 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I can vouch that singles meetup groups are overwhelmingly female.

So at the very least, single guys would enjoy them.
I have not had that experience. When I was in a singles group in my old town, it was generally pretty well balanced. It was outdoor oriented, so it appealed fairly equally to men and women, although some activities appealed more to women and others appealed more to men. There were also some singles mountain biking groups that I imagine were more men than women. It really depends on what the activity is.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Because I hate sausage fests.

Interesting.

Somehow I think if I convinced you that they were actually estrogen-fests, you still would not want to go...

Old 07-26-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I have not had that experience. When I was in a singles group in my old town, it was generally pretty well balanced. It was outdoor oriented, so it appealed fairly equally to men and women, although some activities appealed more to women and others appealed more to men. There were also some singles mountain biking groups that I imagine were more men than women. It really depends on what the activity is.

I'm talking about general singles groups, not the ones that are activity based. Why would men NOT want to go to general singles groups?

Old 07-26-2018, 09:45 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Most of the generic interest social groups from Meetup are populated by less desirable single women. The few decent female prospects are swarmed by men. Many of these men are Indian engineers. This is what I've observed in Meetup groups in my city attended by a mostly 20-30s populace. Bad sex ratios & bad potential dates. Not worth the effort.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:53 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Most of the generic interest social groups from Meetup are populated by less desirable single women. The few decent female prospects are swarmed by men. Many of these men are Indian engineers. This is what I've observed in Meetup groups in my city attended by a mostly 20-30s populace. Bad sex ratios & bad potential dates. Not worth the effort.
Dot or feather?

Old 07-26-2018, 10:10 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times
An organizer of a singles Meetup sent out something regarding how

This is a group of adults 40 years and older who are single, divorced or widowed and are looking to socialize and meet new friends in a fun, non-intimidating atmosphere.

This is not a meet and greet group set up for dating; our mission is to have our members make new friends who will enrich their lives in a positive manner. We have a great group of people who we are proud to call our friends…

Not sure what kind of fluff she's referring to, but somewhere down the line, someone made a ruckus about something.

Some have said some single people are in 'transition" with post-divorces/break-up, so their purpose of joining "singles' groups is simply to stay away from married/coupled up people.

Non-intimidating? You mean, when an unattractive man (in her eyes) approaches a woman?

Old 07-26-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
An organizer of a singles Meetup sent out something regarding how

This is a group of adults 40 years and older who are single, divorced or widowed and are looking to socialize and meet new friends in a fun, non-intimidating atmosphere.

This is not a meet and greet group set up for dating; our mission is to have our members make new friends who will enrich their lives in a positive manner. We have a great group of people who we are proud to call our friends…

Not sure what kind of fluff she's referring to, but somewhere down the line, someone made a ruckus about something.

Some have said some single people are in 'transition" with post-divorces/break-up, so their purpose of joining "singles' groups is simply to stay away from married/coupled up people.

Non-intimidating? You mean, when an unattractive man (in her eyes) approaches a woman?

I agree with the "stay away from married/coupled up people" thing. It's annoying having to wade through them in other groups and the population in general.

But, yes, I agree that I think it's when an unattractive man (in her eyes) approaches a woman. And to be fair, the same is true when you reverse the genders. I've heard men comment in singles groups to say that they aren't ready to date or be in a relationship. Well then, why are you in the group? Yes, most people aren't very good at rejecting someone and don't like doing it.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:22 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
It's not just approaching, though. If the point of the group is not specifically a singles group, and one of the guys propositions every single woman in the group (as happened in a group I was in a while back), that makes the activity intimidating and uncomfortable and the women stop coming to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships