Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 06:49 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,694,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Well what if a guy is trying to keep expenses minimal so he doesn't have to depend on a job, or wants to invest in something like a house or retirement?
Then he doesn’t sound financially stable. You make it sound as if it’s impossible to have a house and retirement fund while also being able to afford more than coffee dates. It’s not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 06:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,202,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Bars and clubs are horrible places to look for dates. Loud music where you can't even hear the person, drunk people, dark environment where you can't even see the person, expensive drinks, rude bouncers, crowded sweaty people dancing, cover charge, belligerent people, obnoxious people. .

You and I go to very different places. Not all places are like this at all.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:20 PM

14,599 posts, read 23,172,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Plus guys with zero dating experience who think taking women out to expensive dates is a sustainable financial decision.
That too.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:07 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,490,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Then he doesn’t sound financially stable. You make it sound as if it’s impossible to have a house and retirement fund while also being able to afford more than coffee dates. It’s not!
Then you pay. Problem solved.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:15 PM

102,437 posts, read 108,813,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yes, I stated time and money. A coffee date is quick and cheap. I would never accept that for a first date. The suggestion of a quick and cheap first date means that they are not investing (time and money) into you.
If they don't even know you, why should they invest money into you? The coffee date is for getting to know someone you've either met on OLD, or have been set up with, or know superficially from somewhere, and want to scope out, to see if there's compatibility. If you already know someone well, and the two have grown to really like each other, having romantic feelings for each other, dinner for a first date makes more sense.

Nobody's going to "invest" in a stranger, though. That makes no sense.Neither party knows at that point, if a sustained conversation is even possible, let alone common interests and some level of compatibility.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:29 PM

8,925 posts, read 7,776,456 times
Look I'm all for knowing your worth and having self confidence, but expecting a person you don't know to drop hella cash and go out of their way to impress you on a first date is not realistic or fair.

Unless you're doing it in return. I get being traditional, I get being old fashioned, but there is a thin line between that and just being entitled. I'm just saying

Ruth (like always) said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If they don't even know you, why should they invest money into you? The coffee date is for getting to know someone you've either met on OLD, or have been set up with, or know superficially from somewhere, and want to scope out, to see if there's compatibility. If you already know someone well, and the two have grown to really like each other, having romantic feelings for each other, dinner for a first date makes more sense.

Nobody's going to "invest" in a stranger, though. That makes no sense.Neither party knows at that point, if a sustained conversation is even possible, let alone common interests and some level of compatibility.
I don't know about anyone else but it would be extremely awkward if I go to a nice dinner at a five star with a guy I don't know for a first date. I can imagine how cringe and painful it would be if it turns out there is NO chemistry. It's the quickest way to go home angry if you just spent so much on a wasted attempt.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:30 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,384,740 times
Quote:
So is Asian food. $100+ for dinner and a movie? Where is this, NYC? A good dinner and a movie for two can be had for half that. OK, maybe a little more, counting the tip, which in theory, she should offer to pay.
I'm in NYC and a dinner for two usually costs around $50; usually less than that depending on where you go

Old 08-29-2018, 07:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,202,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'm in NYC and a dinner for two usually costs around $50; usually less than that depending on where you go

LOL, what? I was in Vermont and even dinner without any alcohol cost more than that with tax and tip.

Heck, we just did burgers, split a fry, and two drinks (cider and beer) and that was $60 with tip, on one of the nights.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:39 PM

2,767 posts, read 2,250,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Does that include two drinks, an appetizer, two entrees, and a dessert? Including tax and tip? I thought going to a chain restaurant for two is $50 in NYC. And that's ordering something mid-tier range.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:47 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,611,313 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Look I'm all for knowing your worth and having self confidence, but expecting a person you don't know to drop hella cash and go out of their way to impress you on a first date is not realistic or fair.

Unless you're doing it in return. I get being traditional, I get being old fashioned, but there is a thin line between that and just being entitled. I'm just saying

Ruth (like always) said it best:

I don't know about anyone else but it would be extremely awkward if I go to a nice dinner at a five star with a guy I don't know for a first date. I can imagine how cringe and painful it would be if it turns out there is NO chemistry. It's the quickest way to go home angry if you just spent so much on a wasted attempt.

I have already previously stated numerous times that I do not do online dating. I am not dating complete strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships