Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:31 AM

553 posts, read 303,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
To me the problem is the fact that you are going on coffee date. That is probably the least conducive setting for being flirty and really letting a personality shine through.

When I was in the dating world, coffee dates were rare and always seemed more like a job interview.

Get out with the guy and do something physical and experiential where you might even touch a little. Examples:

If one or both of you have dogs, take the dog for a walk or go to a dog park. That gives you something to focus on besides the “interview.” Plus it gives each of you a chance to demonstrate your loving side (via the animal).

Mini golf or bowling. Agree to one game and see how it goes. Most people suck at it so it’s a way to have a laugh. Laughing puts people at ease which can ramp up chemistry.

Meet at a food truck and have a bite on a bench together. Food trucks usually have creative and unique options and you can get to know a bit about each other and maybe do a taste test of a couple of items.

You get the idea. I can’t imagine anything duller than meeting for coffee which is probably the least sexy thing to do.
Totally agree.

Who is it that is suggesting the place to go out? Is it you or the guy?

If a grown man is asking me out for coffee I would find that super odd because I expect a grown man to want to meet someone to develop a romantic relationship with a day time date at a crowded loud coffee store doesn't lend itself to that very well.

If you are suggesting where to go, I'd advise to let the guy suggest. That will tell you right away about the tone he wants to set.

I like drinks for first date. You can wear something very flattering that is not overtly sexual, you will likely be surrounded by other couples. You can lean in closer, touch your hair, lightly touch his arm, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 10:54 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,883,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
I'm a 28-year-old female and looking for a LTR. The past couple months of dating have been interesting. I've gone on a handful of coffee dates. Two of them, I never heard back from the guys. Another two each sent a text shortly after saying they weren't interested.

One said:
"It was nice to get to know you a bit. You are super sweet, and obviously gorgeous, but I don't think we have solid enough chemistry to continue dating."

The other said:
"It was nice to meet you but to be honest, I didn't really feel a romantic chemistry. Good luck!"

A third was interested in meeting up again but when I asked him what he thought of the date he said:
"I felt the conversation was lacking at times but I'm attracted to you and I'd be interested in seeing where it goes."
With a possible exception of the third one, it's simply men dishing out what they've been taking for the past six decades. They finally embraced and reclaimed the expression that was once used against them.

It doesn't take Einstein to figure out that "no chemistry" is code for "unattractive" (physically or otherwise) or even "hold still until I need someone stable to settle down with". It's just more politically correct to use "chemistry" as an excuse than to dish out the blunt truth.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:57 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
With a possible exception of the third one, it's simply men dishing out what they've been taking for the past six decades. They simply embraced and reclaimed the expression that was once used against them.

It doesn't take Einstein to figure out that "no chemistry" is code for "unattractive" (physically or otherwise) or even "hold still until I need someone stable to settle down with". It's just more politically correct to use "chemistry" as an excuse than to dish out the blunt truth.
Yep, "no chemistry" equals, "You're not as cute as you are in your photos, so...bye!"

Old 09-23-2018, 11:30 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,646,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
To me the problem is the fact that you are going on coffee date. That is probably the least conducive setting for being flirty and really letting a personality shine through.

When I was in the dating world, coffee dates were rare and always seemed more like a job interview.

Get out with the guy and do something physical and experiential where you might even touch a little. Examples:

If one or both of you have dogs, take the dog for a walk or go to a dog park. That gives you something to focus on besides the “interview.” Plus it gives each of you a chance to demonstrate your loving side (via the animal).

Mini golf or bowling. Agree to one game and see how it goes. Most people suck at it so it’s a way to have a laugh. Laughing puts people at ease which can ramp up chemistry.

Meet at a food truck and have a bite on a bench together. Food trucks usually have creative and unique options and you can get to know a bit about each other and maybe do a taste test of a couple of items.

You get the idea. I can’t imagine anything duller than meeting for coffee which is probably the least sexy thing to do.
The first IRL meeting with someone you "met" online isn't really a date, IMO. it's just a continuation of meeting. However, the dog park or taco truck are good options, too.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:18 PM

408 posts, read 432,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yep, "no chemistry" equals, "You're not as cute as you are in your photos, so...bye!"
Alright that makes sense. Lol.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
With a possible exception of the third one, it's simply men dishing out what they've been taking for the past six decades. They finally embraced and reclaimed the expression that was once used against them.

Fair, I guess these people were kind of out of my league in some way or another.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:20 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,624,388 times
Quote:
Fair, I guess these people were kind of out of my league in some way or another.
No, they weren’t. Otherwise they wouldn’t have gone out with you in the first place.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levels77 View Post
Totally agree.

If a grown man is asking me out for coffee I would find that super odd because I expect a grown man to want to meet someone to develop a romantic relationship with a day time date at a crowded loud coffee store doesn't lend itself to that very well.

If you are suggesting where to go, I'd advise to let the guy suggest. That will tell you right away about the tone he wants to set.

I like drinks for first date. You can wear something very flattering that is not overtly sexual, you will likely be surrounded by other couples. You can lean in closer, touch your hair, lightly touch his arm, etc.
This is a great suggestion thank you! I am definitely going to try for a drink or a hike with my dog for the next person. I am thinking part of the problem is a boring date (coffee) coupled with a flat person (me lol) might make it difficult for any chemistry to really prosper regardless.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levels77 View Post
Totally agree.

I'm pretty much suggesting the coffee date 100 percent of the time. I generally go to the same place with each guy too (they usually say something like "pick a spot that's convenient for you" because I live a bit outside the city. From my perspective, coffee seems like an easy way to screen people for a second date but I think maybe I've gotten in a rut. I think letting the guy choose is a fantastic option. I will do that thank you.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:26 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,477,891 times
Quote:
If you can, don't think that way, it can be destructive to your psyche.

I once met a nice lady, very smart, good career, nice looking but I didn't take her offer of a 2nd date after a really good 7-hour first date. The lack of chemistry reason for me: she was an extreme extrovert with more energy than 3 people combined. I was totally exhausted and think she wasn't even slowing down. So, it can be little things like that someone may not think they have long-term compatibility with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships