Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:22 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have been doing paint nights monthly. Loads of women, not a man in site. I know the last event, painting a ceramic Christmas tree, at least 5-6 women at my table were unmarried.
So did you make any progress with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 08:02 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, last time I checked there are churches in every town and city in the USA. There are a wide range of denominations from the Pentecostals to the Unitarians.
Ugh but then you run the high risk of meeting someone who is religious... no thanks. Don’t want to have to unteach that nonsense.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:03 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
So did you make any progress with them?
I am a woman. Not there for dating and certainly not looking for a woman. I just happened to be thinking at the time that single men really should give it a go.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:53 AM

553 posts, read 302,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I always read this bit about social circle on here, I guess it all depends on what qualifies as social circle? I met who I'm with now because of someone we both knew, but it wasn't set up that way. We weren't set up with one another, we just met through her and ended up together. It's a long story.

As far as the people I know? My parents met in high school (and split a few years later). My grandparents met in high school at a party, but they didn't attend the same school. My cousin met his girlfriend at a bar. They had mutual acquaintances, but didn't realize it until after they met. My best friend met one of his long term girlfriends back in high school and they went to the same school. They met because he used to go into her restaurant. His other long term girlfriend he met because their mom's were actually best friends their whole lives. Although he and the girl were almost 7 years apart, so they wdidn't hang out growing up, but got together when they were both adults. I guess that's a social circle or close enough. I have a friend who met his girlfriend just at a local restaurant/hangout where they live, that they both frequented.
By social circle I mean people who went to same college or grad school together, or people who you work with. Usually these people have friends who are single that they know from their own walks of life. Group events like weddings, holiday or birthday parties, or after work happy hour is a great way to expand your circle and meet new women.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
I recall that anything that's volunteer related or community based, you won't really meet any singles. If you do, they are retirees with nothing better to do than to volunteer. So wait until you're in her mid-50s to do that kind of work.

Otherwise, the younger end of the spectrum into that kind of stuff, they are usually housewives that are finding things to do while their kids are in school.

You literally have to keep an eye out for "singles" labeled activities. At least this is where I live.

There's a friend of mine that attends the local bars, apparently he meets single women there in these smal ltown bars.
One of my friends met her husband at a volunteering event! Not a singles one either.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Sometimes I wonder what's up these days. I have gone out to some nightclub parties recently, and my sister* and I were remarking that there were loads of super cute ladies in packs. And men about their age around. And it was like a middle school dance, where the ladies hung out with ladies and the men hung out with men, no mingling in site.

And we were like, sheesh, even in this meat market of super attractive people no one was even making a subtle move.

I went to a conference, a really really social conference. Same thing. Who knows, maybe people aren't good at shooting their shot! I did meet one person, but he lived far and was like 12-15 years younger :P

*We were the old people at these events - so not really the target demographic.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:56 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Sometimes I wonder what's up these days. I have gone out to some nightclub parties recently, and my sister* and I were remarking that there were loads of super cute ladies in packs. And men about their age around. And it was like a middle school dance, where the ladies hung out with ladies and the men hung out with men, no mingling in site.

And we were like, sheesh, even in this meat market of super attractive people no one was even making a subtle move.

I went to a conference, a really really social conference. Same thing. Who knows, maybe people aren't good at shooting their shot! I did meet one person, but he lived far and was like 12-15 years younger :P

*We were the old people at these events - so not really the target demographic.

I have gone out and experienced this same thing. Packs of guys, packs of women, and no one inter mingling. Even on the dance floor, most times it's just women dancing with each other and guys just sitting against the wall drinking. I have even gone to single meet and greets, and the women come with their friends and guys do the same and no one talks to anyone or participate in the ice breakers. I don't know if people are afraid of actually meeting people out, or when they do go out, they just don't really see anything that interests them, which is possible as well.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:05 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
I recall that anything that's volunteer related or community based, you won't really meet any singles. If you do, they are retirees with nothing better to do than to volunteer. So wait until you're in her mid-50s to do that kind of work.

Otherwise, the younger end of the spectrum into that kind of stuff, they are usually housewives that are finding things to do while their kids are in school.

You literally have to keep an eye out for "singles" labeled activities. At least this is where I live.

There's a friend of mine that attends the local bars, apparently he meets single women there in these smal ltown bars.
lol That's laughable! Single women do volunteer work and participate in community activity groups deliberately, hoping to meet men. Your attitude would explain why many of those venues are mostly women. But the social soccer and volleyball leagues in some cities are mostly singles, and do result in people pairing up. Marriages are known to result from that. YMMV, I guess, depending on where you live. Maybe most people get married young, where you live?

Old 11-19-2018, 11:08 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I have gone out and experienced this same thing. Packs of guys, packs of women, and no one inter mingling. Even on the dance floor, most times it's just women dancing with each other and guys just sitting against the wall drinking. I have even gone to single meet and greets, and the women come with their friends and guys do the same and no one talks to anyone or participate in the ice breakers. I don't know if people are afraid of actually meeting people out, or when they do go out, they just don't really see anything that interests them, which is possible as well.
This sounds like the Seattle disease has spread to other cities. This was common in Seattle in the 90's. Even when women would go up to the guys and try to start a convo, nothing happened. It was very weird. Things like that make the women feel like they're chopped liver, or something.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:58 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levels77 View Post
By social circle I mean people who went to same college or grad school together, or people who you work with. Usually these people have friends who are single that they know from their own walks of life. Group events like weddings, holiday or birthday parties, or after work happy hour is a great way to expand your circle and meet new women.
THing is, there's a risk dating within' your own social circle. In case things don't work out, one may have to break apart from said circle. We live in an age, unfortunately, we live in an era where prefer to date complete strangers (ie online), that way, if things don't work out, they'll disappear without a trace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships