Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 08:42 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
All believe in a mythical man in the clouds....no thanks.
No, not all do at all. And there are options outside of Christianity, too. There are meditation groups, Buddhist groups, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 11:56 AM

13,709 posts, read 20,880,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illumined View Post
I'm a single guy in my early thirties thinking about looking for a special someone. It seems like bars are where a lot of people go for this sort of thing, but I don't like going to them. Are there any good alternatives?
Foreign language classes.

They are invariably social requiring a lot of interactive exercises with your classmates. They also tend to have outings to restaurants or cafes. Thus, there is no need to break the ice or introduce yourself. It is done for you.

If you are looking for women, I would think French or Italian would attract the most.

You might even learn some French or Italian.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:33 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,112,721 times
Quote:
Any recommendations for free sites? I know others are out there but I don't know which ones are any good.

You can try the free ones, but I found that the level of seriousness goes WAY down hill on the free side. At least if people are paying, then they have some vested interest in communicating and meeting others. (Of course, on some of the pay sites, you run into the problem of people dabbing their toes in the water for free but then not wanting to pay to communicate).

Which of course still shows that those who pay tend to be more serious about it in general.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:41 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levels77 View Post
Okcupid: I met my partner, and know 1 person who married a guy she met from the site
Bumble: friend who is in a relationship with a guy she met on there
Tinder: have a friend who met her husband on this site
Coffee Meets Bagel: I went on some dates with a handful of guys I met on this site. Nothing long term but the guys were all quality men
Quote:
I'll check those out, thanks.
Apps became a thing after my husband and I met and married. They're not really my thing, based on what I've read and heard from others. I met dozens of men from PoF and OKC. Several from my brief stints on Match (would not choose this option). I liken PoF to a dive bar. There's a lot of overlap between all of the major sites, so you'll see the same profiles, but the overall culture and vibe of PoF is very seedy bar-like. I did meet some interesting/good matches. My best matches came from OKC. I really liked its user interface and platform and the matching algorithm was an excellent tool for screening potential matches.

My husband had the best experience on OKC as well. He met his two previous girlfriends on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Good grief people, learn to dance. Country dancing especially, go dance.
Lol. No.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:43 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, not all do at all. And there are options outside of Christianity, too. There are meditation groups, Buddhist groups, whatever.
Back when I was a practicing Buddhist, I visited local sanghas and met some really nice people. Some were single. I wasn't for a good chunk of the time I attended the groups.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:26 PM

8,161 posts, read 6,069,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I'm with you on that. Besides, I think it's a bit dishonest for a non-believer to be trolling churches looking for dates. Wouldn't you think the singles who attend church are believers? Wouldn't they reasonably expect other singles at church to also be believers?
Agreed.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:46 AM

651 posts, read 410,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, every time I see an attractive woman by herself (saw this one last weekend wandering the flea market, wearing some real tight jeans...I mean, wow, couldn't stop checkin' her out. lol) But...usually at flea markets or malls, the boyfriend or husband is around the corner or may pop up as soon as I make an approach...so I just assume they are taken or their S.O. is around and don't want to bother with the embarrassment of talking to a woman and then the boyfriends shows up.

Going back to this, seeing a woman BY HERSELF, I just assume they have a boyfriend that will show up in moments of me trying to talk to her. lol
Its kinda funny, but thats my experience as well. Every time I see someone attractive enough not already wearing a ring and BOOM! there he is, coming out from the pasta aisle or something. Never fails!

At this point, I think that for me meeting someone suitable will require some sort of divine intervention. Or maybe I will manage to make enough new friends so that hopefully one day will come out and say "hey, I think I know somebody, who knows somebody, who knows someone..."

Old 11-26-2018, 01:20 PM

99 posts, read 48,981 times
Country line dancing or country dancing period is literally the worst place to meet chicks in the entire universe. Let's be honest here, there are not many guys who can even stand to be in the same club as country music, it's REALLY bad typically and the dancing doesn't involve grinding so there is not chance to build a rapport on the dance floor.

I would do the supermarket, there are lots of hot to trot chicks up in that piece typically.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:24 PM

8,161 posts, read 6,069,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNameForJoe View Post
Country line dancing or country dancing period is literally the worst place to meet chicks in the entire universe. Let's be honest here, there are not many guys who can even stand to be in the same club as country music, it's REALLY bad typically and the dancing doesn't involve grinding so there is not chance to build a rapport on the dance floor.

I would do the supermarket, there are lots of hot to trot chicks up in that piece typically.
Just because many guys have crap taste in music does not mean you can discount country line dancing places. I would only date a guy that does listen to country because most other stuff gives me a headache. Now I tended to be too cool for country line dancing but a lot of my friends went when they were single. I prefer the bar myself but have never met a man at one

Old 11-26-2018, 05:45 PM

99 posts, read 48,981 times
HAHAH country "music" is enjoyed everywhere by chicks who also wear Yoga pants, drink Starbucks, shop at Target, and have chats on their IPhones about how basic everyone ELSE is. I mean to each his own, but country dancing is literally THE worst place in the world to meet eligible chicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships