Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 12:03 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,048,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol That's laughable! Single women do volunteer work and participate in community activity groups deliberately, hoping to meet men. Your attitude would explain why many of those venues are mostly women. But the social soccer and volleyball leagues in some cities are mostly singles, and do result in people pairing up. Marriages are known to result from that. YMMV, I guess, depending on where you live. Maybe most people get married young, where you live?
Yes, they do marry young here. Usually post-high school graduation. By their mid 20s they are on their 2nd kid. My attitude? I do volunteer at a local nature center only because I like it. Mostly kids that come with their parents or...the elderly. I did meet ONE woman at said venue, was new in town, but has a boyfriend.

Anyone that's probably in their 20s to 40s...are attached, and when I go out. I'd see a hot mom pushing the baby stroller with daddy with his other kid on his shoulders. lol

I saw this one woman in the gym, I think she's in her mid-40s, she works hard on the cycle, rowing machine, stair master. She'll all about the spandex. I asked my buddy that works there her deal. Said she's been married going on 30 years, has really hot late 20s daughters...one of them that was some country runner up at a pageant contest. He knew the family for a long time. I was like (Dammit! lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 12:06 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,048,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This sounds like the Seattle disease has spread to other cities. This was common in Seattle in the 90's. Even when women would go up to the guys and try to start a convo, nothing happened. It was very weird. Things like that make the women feel like they're chopped liver, or something.
Yeah, that sounds par for the course. In the Meetups I go to (in the larger cities), the social ones where it's mostly dinner and dancing. You'll always see a pair of women show up, but only talk to each other. They are scanning the room for hunks, then bail early if they don't like what they see and be very short with men that do approach them. Same goes for the men too. A lot of the single people have a one track mind in not really cultivating friendships at these events.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:22 PM

157 posts, read 90,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
OP, don't bother with online dating--just another meat market. And bars--no, no, no.

The problem isn't you, it's that most single women don't tend to go places alone. They're like lemmings. I mean, who's seen a single woman show up at a seminar or other event by herself? Do you see single women strolling around an art gallery by herself? Just doesn't happen.

I'm thinking coffee places or maybe one of those big grocery stores that has a coffee bar and tons of organic food and gifts (like Wegman's). I see tons of women by themselves in these places. Non-threatening atmosphere. You can sort of move next to her in the produce aisle and ask her how to prepare XYZ dish using XYZ ingredient. Strike up a conversation about food or check out her cart. Is she vegan or Paleo? Does she have "child" food in her cart like Tater Tots? Is she strolling around like she's got nothing else to do or zooming along like she needs to get home and cook for the family?

I think swimming pools and fitness clubs might be good. Otherwise, I think a high percentage of women aren't athletic or outdoorsy so I think you're largely wasting your time hoping to meet a woman on a hike. Ditto about sports. Unless you're really into a specific sport like biking or skiing and live in that sort of environment where similar woman like the same sports, well, I just think it's not that common to meet women who like sports and the outdoors in many areas of the USA. For instance, I live in a big city and the women around here just aren't into sports or the outdoors. Most of my female friends like shopping and movies.

I tended to meet people at work but that's tricky in today's atmosphere, not really ideal in my opinion.

The library might be good.

You have to figure out where a single woman would go BY HERSELF and then hang around those same places. A single woman isn't likely to go to certain places by herself.
Good points, certainly agree about online dating. I tried it for a bit but for the most part the people who got back to me were obviously fakes, like clearly photoshopped pics and copy/paste answers. I don't get why people do stuff like that, just wastes everyone's time.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:51 PM

553 posts, read 303,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illumined View Post
Good points, certainly agree about online dating. I tried it for a bit but for the most part the people who got back to me were obviously fakes, like clearly photoshopped pics and copy/paste answers. I don't get why people do stuff like that, just wastes everyone's time.
Hmm.. maybe its the sites you are on. Which ones are you using? The ones you have to pay for if you don't pay and just browse there are a lot of fake profiles to lure people in. The ones you have to pay for tend to have people more serious about meeting someone.

BUT.... i met my long term partner on okcupid. And I have friends who met their husband on Tinder, and okcupid, and stable partner on Bumble. And these are quality professional people.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:56 PM

9,389 posts, read 7,025,032 times
Target
hobby lobby
yoga
Gym
dog walks in park
Coffee shop
Barnes and noble
Farmers markets
Garage sales

You pick your poison

Old 11-20-2018, 12:34 PM

157 posts, read 90,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levels77 View Post
Hmm.. maybe its the sites you are on. Which ones are you using? The ones you have to pay for if you don't pay and just browse there are a lot of fake profiles to lure people in. The ones you have to pay for tend to have people more serious about meeting someone.

BUT.... i met my long term partner on okcupid. And I have friends who met their husband on Tinder, and okcupid, and stable partner on Bumble. And these are quality professional people.

PoF. I'm not too keen on shelling out money for sites like this given the uncertainty of it actually succeeding. If I was going to spend money on something to find single women I'd prefer it be some kind of activity I'd enjoy doing so I can have a good time regardless.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:43 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,092,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illumined View Post
PoF. I'm not too keen on shelling out money for sites like this given the uncertainty of it actually succeeding. If I was going to spend money on something to find single women I'd prefer it be some kind of activity I'd enjoy doing so I can have a good time regardless.

I'm sure some people like it, but I've never met anyone that liked PoF, and most, like me, got off within 24-48 hrs of checking it out. I'm sure its partially regional, but where I've lived its a hive of scum and villainy.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:49 PM

553 posts, read 303,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm sure some people like it, but I've never met anyone that liked PoF, and most, like me, got off within 24-48 hrs of checking it out. I'm sure its partially regional, but where I've lived its a hive of scum and villainy.
From what I’ve heard too, POF is known for hook ups and fake profiles ( I just googled it)

Try another one. There are several free ones (I liked those better, more people use them). Plus the people I know who met their husband or bf met on free sites (myself included)

You should not rely solely on online dating. Go to events like others suggested, but in this day and age, you probably are limiting your options by not online dating.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:24 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,401,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Ugh but then you run the high risk of meeting someone who is religious... no thanks. Don’t want to have to unteach that nonsense.
Don't know much about Unitarians, Episcopalians, or Congregationalists, do you?

Old 11-20-2018, 01:57 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,053,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Don't know much about Unitarians, Episcopalians, or Congregationalists, do you?
All believe in a mythical man in the clouds....no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships