Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:32 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times

Advertisements

Often times it's a fundamental incompatibility that I believe will eventually cause the demise of a relationship whether it be quick or slow. In most cases, since "love" is a HUGE variable, people try to stick it out but it usually causes one partner to resent the other. In other cases some people will "give in" due to other circumstances that can occur in life. Illness could cause infertility in one partner and the other one stays out of love/obligation. It could help them accept that they won't have children because it wasn't their fault. And many other things can happen. It ultimately depends on the people involved.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
In my mind, "choosing" whether or not to have kids is a luxury, but for women especially it's a luxury that has a deadline.

It's easy to float along thinking you may or may not choose to have children one day, especially when you are in the honeymoon stages with a new love. But honestly this is a decision that has to be made without your partner as a factor. You have to know going in whether YOU will regret NOT choosing to be a mother because your boyfriend didn't want kids.

Most every single time, sacrificing your own happiness to keep a partner happy is a recipe for future marital discord. Choosing not to have children must come from YOUR own desire not to have them. And you need to beware if your list of reasons is just a repeat of your partner's reasons.

In my experience, people who don't want kids REALLY don't want kids, and there's no changing their minds. One way I've heard to test your own desire is to imagine that your current relationship didn't work out and your next boyfriend really wanted kids. Would you be excited and relieved or unenthusiastic?

Marriage works best when both parties can compromise, but this is not one of those situations where compromise is possible. You really have to know yourself and know what you want so that you can live with whatever decision you make.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:48 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
I didn’t want to have kids, married someone who wanted to have a lot. Knew I’d have changing feelings as the years went on, and so would he. Changed my mind and “tried” for 5 years after marriage, then got pregnant right before 30. I stopped at one, knowing shortly thereafter I’d be doing it alone. I don’t have any regrets about having a baby, but I had to do it because I wanted to. People change, they die, they become ill mentally or physically, don’t count on someone else to make all of your dreams come true, do what you think is best for you.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:50 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
In my mind, "choosing" whether or not to have kids is a luxury, but for women especially it's a luxury that has a deadline.

It's easy to float along thinking you may or may not choose to have children one day, especially when you are in the honeymoon stages with a new love. But honestly this is a decision that has to be made without your partner as a factor. You have to know going in whether YOU will regret NOT choosing to be a mother because your boyfriend didn't want kids.

Most every single time, sacrificing your own happiness to keep a partner happy is a recipe for future marital discord. Choosing not to have children must come from YOUR own desire not to have them. And you need to beware if your list of reasons is just a repeat of your partner's reasons.

In my experience, people who don't want kids REALLY don't want kids, and there's no changing their minds. One way I've heard to test your own desire is to imagine that your current relationship didn't work out and your next boyfriend really wanted kids. Would you be excited and relieved or unenthusiastic?

Marriage works best when both parties can compromise, but this is not one of those situations where compromise is possible. You really have to know yourself and know what you want so that you can live with whatever decision you make.
GMTA, again.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post

GMTA, again.
As always!

Old 07-08-2019, 05:27 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Ita....but what makes it so hard for me is that I don't know if I *really* want kids or I *really* don't...kinda in the middle. If I was going to have kids...I'd want it to be about 3 to 5 yrs. away, by the time I am in my mid 30s. Three to five yrs. away for him he feels he will be "too old"...& he really feels it already so he is pretty sure he does not want kids & so he wants to make sure I feel the same so I have the chance to leave if that is what I want.... I don't doubt we can have a good life without kids....BUT

It's not easy to try to predict how I will feel about it in the future.....& even tho I am not the type to think about having a baby.....never having that experience with him.....is so "final".

Old 07-08-2019, 05:35 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
OP, if you stop and think about it, you'll realize, that the option to NOT break up due to a difference in wanting kids or not, doesn't exist. It's only a question of WHEN the breakup would happen. You (hypothetical "you") can break up pro-actively, before the issue comes to a head, or you can avoid stating your preference, knowing it differs from your bf's, and wait for the inevitable to occur years down the road. The chances that the other partner will change their mind are very slim. So, it's kind of a nonsensical question, from that perspective.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-08-2019 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
What else is there to do if y’all don’t match mindsets on this? The merciful thing for both parties is to break up so no more time is wasted and there is as little resentment as possible. Not that complicated.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:46 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
yes.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:49 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
What else is there to do if y’all don’t match mindsets on this? The merciful thing for both parties is to break up so no more time is wasted and there is as little resentment as possible. Not that complicated.
That's just it tho.... it's hard to decide because I don't feel having a baby is some sort of *have to* or biological destiny. Just that I kind of thought I eventually would....so it's making a decision if having a baby is more important for me...or the relationship is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships