Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 05:32 PM

421 posts, read 237,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Mod cut: Orphaned.

Just because a woman cannot do something on the spur of the moment, don't take it personally. It's more polite for someone to plan a date several days in advance. A person doesn't have to drop everything they're doing in the moment to go meet someone.
Also agreed. I like to be at my best for a meeting, especially a first one. Spontaneous is really not my style though I can be flexible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 05:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idkeither View Post
Also agreed. I like to be at my best for a meeting, especially a first one. Spontaneous is really not my style though I can be flexible.
Spontaneous is better reserved for when two people are in a more exclusive relationship. A man who doesn't even know you, shouldn't expect you to drop everything spur of the moment.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe some of them are into control trips, and others have had bad experiences on OLD, so they have knee-jerk reactions? But still, if a time wasn't set for a date, what was his expectation? How would you know when to show up? Did he actually say you'd stood him up? Maybe the reason it happens a lot with him, is that he's not specific about time/place in setting up dates, or doesn't confirm the date?

Have you had positive experiences, too, or is it too new yet, and you haven't found many potential matches yet?
It's pretty new. I have had positive experiences too.

He gave me a funny vibe prior to this. Seemed miffed about not getting a quick enough response. I didn't even comment on that and he actually pointed it out that "he's no stress, don't worry about slow responses" lol. Why even say anything denying you are a certain way?

Still I didn't think he'd take his sensitivities so far. We did not have a time set. I suggested one. He was good with it but I could tell he thought I meant Friday. I told him I was extremely tired and I meant Saturday. He says, "how do I even know you'll show up? This happens a lot on here. I'm blocking you." I didn't respond and in the previous text clarifying I meant Saturday, I apologised for the misunderstanding.

The other guy has reached out since and we will still be meeting. He may or may not have been miffed but if he was, he's probably self aware enough to know he was being over sensitive. Should be a fun date.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Spontaneous is better reserved for when two people are in a more exclusive relationship. A man who doesn't even know you, shouldn't expect you to drop everything spur of the moment.
Truth. Still seems some expect you to! Do they not know ladies require time to prepare? Silly.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:37 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Nobody hides behind a keyboard for long if they are smart. .
I think you just proved my point....

There are a lot of flakes and not smart people on OLD doing exactly that.. hiding behind a keyboard.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:47 AM

1,250 posts, read 826,870 times
Quote:
It's pretty new. I have had positive experiences too.

He gave me a funny vibe prior to this. Seemed miffed about not getting a quick enough response. I didn't even comment on that and he actually pointed it out that "he's no stress, don't worry about slow responses" lol. Why even say anything denying you are a certain way?

Still I didn't think he'd take his sensitivities so far. We did not have a time set. I suggested one. He was good with it but I could tell he thought I meant Friday. I told him I was extremely tired and I meant Saturday. He says, "how do I even know you'll show up? This happens a lot on here. I'm blocking you." I didn't respond and in the previous text clarifying I meant Saturday, I apologised for the misunderstanding.

The other guy has reached out since and we will still be meeting. He may or may not have been miffed but if he was, he's probably self aware enough to know he was being over sensitive. Should be a fun date.
I'm not following the timeline with the first guy. How was it not clear whether you were meeting on Friday or Saturday? Bottom line, I would never agree to a date without an exact time and place. I am a planner and not making plans is a deal breaker for me.

Regarding the second guy.. with all due respect, maybe he's not the only one who was overly sensitive.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I'm not following the timeline with the first guy. How was it not clear whether you were meeting on Friday or Saturday? Bottom line, I would never agree to a date without an exact time and place. I am a planner and not making plans is a deal breaker for me.

Regarding the second guy.. with all due respect, maybe he's not the only one who was overly sensitive.
Regarding the second guy, you are correct lol. However at least I hide it with potential dates, I have tact.

The first guy says we spoke about Friday night previously on the phone (true) but nothing was set. He saw it as if nothing else, I'd at least come out for coffee. He offered to take me to dinner at a restaurant he really liked when we were texting Friday evening. At that point, in text, he didn't specify which day. I had already been saying in text lets make it Saturday- I had 3 responsibilities I had taken care of on my days off (one 100 miles away) and I was exhausted. He knew all of this. But when I agreed to dinner, he wanted to believe because he offered a meal (rather than coffee which was the original plan) I agreed to come out Friday. Maybe reading too much in to it but he probably didn't really want to spend the money unless I accomidated his impatience. Why would I jump to accomidate a stranger? An inconsiderate one at that!

Old 07-28-2019, 09:38 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Regarding the second guy, you are correct lol. However at least I hide it with potential dates, I have tact.

The first guy says we spoke about Friday night previously on the phone (true) but nothing was set. He saw it as if nothing else, I'd at least come out for coffee. He offered to take me to dinner at a restaurant he really liked when we were texting Friday evening. At that point, in text, he didn't specify which day. I had already been saying in text lets make it Saturday- I had 3 responsibilities I had taken care of on my days off (one 100 miles away) and I was exhausted. He knew all of this. But when I agreed to dinner, he wanted to believe because he offered a meal (rather than coffee which was the original plan) I agreed to come out Friday. Maybe reading too much in to it but he probably didn't really want to spend the money unless I accomidated his impatience. Why would I jump to accomidate a stranger? An inconsiderate one at that!
I still cant make sense of this, but I think your OLD guys didnt flake on their own, it seems like you helped and neither of you were very clear, and your guys get frustrated.
Now im not saying that they should get frustrated at you, but I think you might be more flaky than youre letting on, which is one of the main reasons why guys are so frustrated and entitled on OLD in the first place. Those type of encounters make people develop their own self full-filling prophecies when no one is giving them input.

Alot of women on OLD are terrible flakes, and they makes excuses instead of telling the guys theyre not interested. But of course they dont tell guys they arent interested to keep them hanging on just in case.
Then men that I guess either arent good looking enough to get solid interest, or are shooting above their leagues encounter the flaky behavior, and start acting weird themselves. Those that havent learned about tact cant take rejection and lash out at women from behind the keyboard.

But no one tells anyone online when they are doing something wrong. They just fade out or ghost them altogether to avoid the backlash.

If women universally would be brave enough to tell these guys, theyd hear it from everyone they contacted and then maybe theyd learn. It could go the other way as well. I know that would never happen, but it should be the next website. I think most guys dont have a dating support system to learn the nuances of dealing women, like women do. Ive encountered it where Ive tried asking people for help and they dont know a damn thing, or they wont help because they dont think you'll listen.

No one is owed an explanation, but helping these guys could stop the entitlement mindset if they knew why they were getting rejected. Either that, or there has to be a country with a OLD culture that is less secretive with its rejections and more understanding that US can learn from. A website is needed, whos motto is "If youre rejected, you will find out why". But people have to be honest and not vindictive. The can of worms that would open could be large, but I still wonder if it could be done.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:47 AM

1,250 posts, read 826,870 times
Quote:

I'm still confused, but clearly there wasn't good communication here. If he didn't text you by Thursday night with specific plans for a date on Friday, IMO he has no right to complain. You can do better, keep moving.

On the flip side.. if you really liked him, I think you could have tried to make a real plan for Saturday night (farther in advance).

Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 AM

^^^^^

I agree the communication was off. Me, listening better and paying closer attention to what I was agreeing to. I probably said if nothing else, we'll meet for coffee Friday night. I definitely comunicated all I had to do Thursday and Friday. He could have been considerate too, when we were texting, I told him i was tired and why. He thought I was going that night anyways and when that became clear, I clarified Saturday. But that wasn't good enough.
Had nothing to do with me not liking him enough, nothing wrong with his looks or personality until this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships