Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 AM

1,250 posts, read 826,870 times

Advertisements

I agree with Sonic_Spork's post, in reverse. I like chains and hole-in-the-wall family places. I am not artsy or hip, and someone who is looking for that isn't looking for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I went to Olive Garden with a date one time and he thought it was way over-priced.
He must not have taken full advantage of the unlimited soup and bread sticks lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
No olive gardens here. And not $50 a plate unless over in DC or Baltimore and then much more. Pretty much longhorn, outback, Texas roadhouse, NEW or anyplace similar is going to be $20-30 a plate. Appetizers and a couple drinks with tip, figure $100.
Outback is over $20/plate now?? Not worth it to me. How about Applebee's, Friday's, etc.

There's always Panera.. kind of halfway between dinner and coffee lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Maybe that's why they ended up on dating websites in the first place.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:53 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I agree with Sonic_Spork's post, in reverse. I like chains and hole-in-the-wall family places. I am not artsy or hip, and someone who is looking for that isn't looking for me

He must not have taken full advantage of the unlimited soup and bread sticks lol

Outback is over $20/plate now?? Not worth it to me. How about Applebee's, Friday's, etc.

There's always Panera.. kind of halfway between dinner and coffee lol
And I think we'd be able to tell from one's dating profile, if they were the "hip and artsy" type or not so much. I do like some hole-in-the-wall places, but I love most when there is character of some kind. There was a dingy all night diner in Covington, KY back when I was younger that was just fun. Very hole-in-the-wall. My preferences also don't need to be expensive. Personally I think that Starbucks is overpriced. I guess if one is into fancy flavored coffee, which I'm not, then it's ok. But their regular ol' cuppa Joe isn't that stellar and costs too much.

I do like Panera, though! That mac & cheese...*drool*...

Can you guys tell I didn't eat lunch?

Oh, for those who do the coffee or drinks dates, there's another option I'd add to that list, for those of us with a sweet tooth, the ice cream outing. I love those! The only down side, is unless you take your ice cream out to a park or something, at some of those places you'll have families with kids coming and going and being noisy and interrupting your date conversation.

Oh that's another consideration I find to be very important. Noise levels. In my opinion, the main purpose of a first date is conversation. If you can't hear yourself think, let alone talk, that's a bad thing.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:37 PM

1,579 posts, read 951,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idkeither View Post
I've jumped into online dating. I found one man I haven't yet met in person miffed because I wasn't able to speak on the phone with him when he wanted (though I told him it was because I took a day trip and I did accommodate him 2 previous times.)

And a second one tells me we had plans tonight, which I don't remember- we didn't set a time, I thought it was a maybe. And when I said let's meet tomorrow evening at 5 , he told me he was blocking me because this happens a lot.

I was truly interested in meeting these men- why do they expect so much when we haven't even met? Thoughts? What have your experiences been? Men are just not confident or patient these days it seems. (at least most of the ones I'm coming across.) Where is the entitlement coming from?
I hated that about online dating. Your first story reminds me of one man I never did meet in person but met online. We arranged a first date and he cancelled because his daughter was sick. So then we tried to reschedule, I suggested a date and time, that didn't work for him so he suggested a different date and time that didn't work for me. Suddenly, because a date and time didn't work for me (for a rescheduled date that he cancelled) he accused me of "playing games" and not being serious about dating. He went off on a rant. I said, "we're done" and blocked him. No wonder that man is divorced.

But for the most part, most men were okay. But most weren't a good match for me or me for them, but they were okay people.

To answer your question of "Why" my personal philosophy is jerks are out there to keep life interesting. Reminds me of this FarSide cartoon: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4c/bb...4dc2c8498f.jpg

Old 07-30-2019, 01:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I hated that about online dating. Your first story reminds me of one man I never did meet in person but met online. We arranged a first date and he cancelled because his daughter was sick. So then we tried to reschedule, I suggested a date and time, that didn't work for him so he suggested a different date and time that didn't work for me. Suddenly, because a date and time didn't work for me (for a rescheduled date that he cancelled) he accused me of "playing games" and not being serious about dating. He went off on a rant. I said, "we're done" and blocked him. No wonder that man is divorced.
Some people will label anything they don't like as "games".

Yes, you found out why he's divorced. He'd be lucky to even get some women to talk to him in the first place. I would never agree to date single dads. I would have blocked him even if he weren't rude. He's probably looking for a woman to be his free babysitter service.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
OLD is very frustrating from a man's point of view. What you are probably seeing is a guy who goes thru this time after time.

I had a couple rules. Burn phone so no nutjobs had my real number. One email in response to their ad, then move on. If communication abruptly stopped, no more conversation from me. Stood up (never happened but just in case) no more communication. And last of all NEVER bother someone or appear needy.

Similar to my own practices back in the day.

-No burn phone, but I didn't give out my number very readily (and this was pre-smart phones, so texting wasn't as common, but AIM and other such direct messaging served much the same purpose...no endless streams of AIM checking in, if there didn't appear to be legitimate interest/participation).
-Kept it reciprocal, 1:1 back and forth. If communication dropped off, no pestering, or "Hey, what's up?" You know where to find me.
-I did get stood up, a couple of times (maybe guys are more prone to that), but absolutely no further engaging if that happens.
-BIG on never appearing needy.

OLD wasn't that frustrating for me, but it did require persevering and being choosy about who to actually meet.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:00 AM

421 posts, read 237,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Similar to my own practices back in the day.

-No burn phone, but I didn't give out my number very readily (and this was pre-smart phones, so texting wasn't as common, but AIM and other such direct messaging served much the same purpose...no endless streams of AIM checking in, if there didn't appear to be legitimate interest/participation).
-Kept it reciprocal, 1:1 back and forth. If communication dropped off, no pestering, or "Hey, what's up?" You know where to find me.
-I did get stood up, a couple of times (maybe guys are more prone to that), but absolutely no further engaging if that happens.
-BIG on never appearing needy.

OLD wasn't that frustrating for me, but it did require persevering and being choosy about who to actually meet.
Yes, this is what I'm learning now. I need to be choosy in who I actually meet- quality over quantity. The numbers game is a waste of time. Very difficult to find someone attractive, confident, kind, intelligent, sober, who has their act together and is interested in me too. I need to work on myself a little too and maybe get new pictures and re start the search. . .oh and wait to give my phone number out. (Maybe after a first or second meeting.)

Old 07-31-2019, 10:29 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Don't give your real number out... use a burner number. Many options.... From physical phones (prepaid / freedompop types) to virtual numbers (google voice and burnerapp). I even give one out for work related contacts.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:05 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idkeither View Post
I've jumped into online dating. I found one man I haven't yet met in person miffed because I wasn't able to speak on the phone with him when he wanted (though I told him it was because I took a day trip and I did accommodate him 2 previous times.)

And a second one tells me we had plans tonight, which I don't remember- we didn't set a time, I thought it was a maybe. And when I said let's meet tomorrow evening at 5 , he told me he was blocking me because this happens a lot.

I was truly interested in meeting these men- why do they expect so much when we haven't even met? Thoughts? What have your experiences been? Men are just not confident or patient these days it seems. (at least most of the ones I'm coming across.) Where is the entitlement coming from?
Women like to ghost and play hard to get. Even attractive accomplished men feel like they have to pounce on everything because so much of what comes their way is garbage. Yes, garbage. I don't like saying that about people, but most of what I encounter through OLD are people not being serious, taking advantage, and then ghosting.

While I don't know the details, you should be flattered that someone has taken a dedicated interest in you. I've shelled out a lot of money on women who suddenly just disappear for no reason...once they've had their fun, if we are being real. I've also had people agree to a date through OLD platforms, and then not show up or ghost in the run-up. It's really pathetic. I think it's a Millennial thing too, I'm sorry to say.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:17 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,684,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
All this stuff happens with any kind of dating tho......but ita.
Sure, but technology has increased the degree of intensity of this and how automatically and unconsciously deep it can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships