Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2019, 12:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post

I don’t care how it looks....
That's YOUR approach to relationships. He obviously has a different approach. Why should he get an eye roll because he cares more about respecting his relationship than you do yours?

(See how those false accusations and ad hominem attacks work? That's why you shouldn't use them.)

Old 10-09-2019, 12:37 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,357,160 times
Quote:
You wouldnt think twice about a business lunch with a male.....but you are biased against a woman in business because it could be seen as inappropriate? That’s awful....We’ve come too far to not be treated like other professionals in the same settings......because of how it *looks*?

I grab lunch with doctors & other nurses all the time...sometimes they are male & we are alone because we’re on break together! I don’t care how it looks....I’m having lunch with people that work with me.....

E d i t: lunch with an ex is different than business or a work friend.......I would never have lunch with any ex & I wouldn’t want my Bf to either.......
Yup, You’re damn right, the optics doesn’t look good. Give me a mandatory rule I should have lunch with a woman coworker one in one? Because I can not think of one. Business stays at the workplace, not at Applebee’s or Chili’s. I’ve run a few companies (And I’ve always been the boss/the one that signs payroll checks) and having lunch with a woman coworker........well people talk, create drama/rumors in the workplace. It’s inevitable in almost every workplace.

You go ahead and have lunch with doctors and janitors. I’ll have lunch in my office and never have to worry about trust issues with my SO.

Btw: Has nothing to do with gender inequality, but respect for my SO. So, you can pump your brakes on that nonsense. Lol

Old 10-09-2019, 12:46 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,589,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That's YOUR approach to relationships. He obviously has a different approach. Why should he get an eye roll because he cares more about respecting his relationship than you do yours?

(See how those false accusations and ad hominem attacks work? That's why you shouldn't use them.)

His approach is not seeing a woman as an equal in the workplace tho...he is seeing her as a woman that has to be avoided because of *how it might look* & so I can disagree....it’s not 1963. Men & women can work together without thoughts about how it *looks*.... it’s disrespectful to all women to see us as anything but equals.......to have a business lunch just like with a man would with a man.....

My relationship is not filled with insecurities so I’m lucky.....we are able to have work lunches without jealousies....because we have confidence in how we feel...& in our relationship....& we know having a break to eat lunch with someone that works with us won’t cause our amazing love & commitment to crumble......it’s work...& I get scheduled for breaks with who I get scheduled. We can’t avoid the opposite sex at work....that’s silly....

Now....a lunch with an ex.....IMO that’s different.....but I would never have lunch with an ex & I know my Bf wouldn’t disrespect me by doing that.....BUT

If anyone is threatened by a *work or business lunch* tho.....& that’s all it is is a lunch....then the relationship isn’t very secure IMO....

Old 10-09-2019, 12:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
Quote:

His approach is not seeing a woman as an equal in the workplace tho...he is seeing her as a woman that has to be avoided because of *how it might look* & so I can disagree....it’s not 1963. Men & women can work together without thoughts about how it *looks*.... it’s disrespectful to all women to see us as anything but equals.......to have a business lunch just like with a man would with a man.....
Nah, that's a false narrative.

Quote:
My relationship is not filled with insecurities so I’m lucky.....we are able to have work lunches without jealousies....because we have confidence in how we feel...& in our relationship....& we know having a break to eat lunch with someone that works with us won’t cause our amazing love & commitment to crumble......it’s work...& I get scheduled for breaks with who I get scheduled. We can’t avoid the opposite sex at work....that’s silly....
Yes, we're all aware of your amazing and very serious relationship since you mention it in nearly every thread regardless of whether it's relevant.

Quote:

If anyone is threatened by a *work or business lunch* tho.....& that’s all it is is a lunch....then the relationship isn’t very secure IMO....
It's not about being "threatened" or any other juvenile line of thought. It's about being PROactive rather than Reactive. Besides, people in the relationship get to choose how they want to operate. Your judging them for that only makes you look petty.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:01 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,589,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Nah, that's a false narrative.

Yes, we're all aware of your amazing and very serious relationship since you mention it in nearly every thread regardless of whether it's relevant.

It's not about being "threatened" or any other juvenile line of thought. It's about being PROactive rather than Reactive. Besides, people in the relationship get to choose how they want to operate. Your judging them for that only makes you look petty.

You brought it up tho...saying I was disrespecting my relationship......because I have lunch with coworkers....

Avoiding the opposite sex at work is juvenile IMO....

Old 10-09-2019, 01:09 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,038,229 times
To me, it seems like, if everything is OK at home, and your SO isn't treating you in a negative way, than there's nothing to worry about. IMO, that's the bottom line.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:48 PM

52,306 posts, read 52,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Relationship experiences has taught me to avoid any appearance of impropriety while in a relationship. I can’t find any reason to have lunch with any other woman alone, whether it’s a longtime friend or for business. Some might say I’m insecure, but I consider it smart and respectful.
Mike Pence did things on that order and he took a beating for it. This I believe was right before the Metoo movement.

I posted earlier that I'd probably avoid a one on one with a female co-worker for the most part, just like you said for the appearances and particularly true if we aren't direct co-workers, which would raise more gossipy flags in my opinion.

For all of the arguments about it being a way to hold women back is garbage and nonsense. People that need to work together can work around any kind of "special" requirement. I think Pence has an open door policy or has a third person sitting in meetings in the occasion that he thinks requires it. Things like that can be done.

Social gatherings are a whole other beast.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:29 PM

4,036 posts, read 3,312,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Mike Pence did things on that order and he took a beating for it. This I believe was right before the Metoo movement.

I posted earlier that I'd probably avoid a one on one with a female co-worker for the most part, just like you said for the appearances and particularly true if we aren't direct co-workers, which would raise more gossipy flags in my opinion.

For all of the arguments about it being a way to hold women back is garbage and nonsense. People that need to work together can work around any kind of "special" requirement. I think Pence has an open door policy or has a third person sitting in meetings in the occasion that he thinks requires it. Things like that can be done.

Social gatherings are a whole other beast.
I completely agree with no meetings with women alone at work, no mentoring of young women at work. No lunches and absolutely no over night trips with women. The Me Too movement was pretty much all about getting rid of due process (believe all women). An accusation is treated as guilt. We do know some women make false rape accusations Duke Lacrosse case. We also know 1-4% has the anti social personality disorder, who would lie about these matters. There is absolutely no reason to meet with women alone at work. I no longer hire women to work with me.

https://www.thoughtco.com/duke-lacro...scandal-971039

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4649950/

Old 10-09-2019, 02:58 PM

52,306 posts, read 52,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I completely agree with no meetings with women alone at work, no mentoring of young women at work. No lunches and absolutely no over night trips with women. The Me Too movement was pretty much all about getting rid of due process (believe all women). An accusation is treated as guilt. We do know some women make false rape accusations Duke Lacrosse case. We also know 1-4% has the anti social personality disorder, who would lie about these matters. There is absolutely no reason to meet with women alone at work. I no longer hire women to work with me.

The bolded is the exact fear that I and many others have had. I am sorta afraid that the metoo moment is going to have some negative repercussions for women. Most women aren't out to get the average guy, at least I don't think so and it would be a shame if decent women see a reduction in opportunity.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:00 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,038,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post

You are, most likely, breaking the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships