Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 04:51 AM

179 posts, read 357,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Im in a semi long-distance 3 year relationship and to make a long story short, I feel like I have come to the realization I need the person more than I want this person. I dont know how I feel about this, and feeling this way. If your significant other came to you and said 'I need you more than I want you".. what would your reaction be? Is this bad to feel something like this? Does this make me a bad one in the relationship?

I live in MA, sig other lives in NJ... if that matters.
You should not be "needing" somebody. You should want them in your life. but not need them to function. You should be your own independent person, and when someone is in your life that makes it better, that's great.

--B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 04:56 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Your missing the point about relationships. It's not needing or wanting, that's a feeling like the tide or the wind, and changes all the time. Relationships that are strong are grounded and have foundational underpinnings.

Being the right person and set yourself apart, is way more important than a feeling. Isn't everyone is always looking for the "right one"?

Old 01-09-2020, 08:46 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
The day you “need” anyone is the day you’ve crossed into unhealthy territory.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:52 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
‘Needing’ sounds like the beginning of a horror movie.
Bunny boiler movie comes to mind.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:57 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The day you “need” anyone is the day you’ve crossed into unhealthy territory.
Well ... when you join with another as in marriage, hopefully needs develop as you become one. The key is only independent people can choose dependency.

My left leg is independent from my right, but we need both legs to run.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:16 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Wanting someone in your life is normal.

Needing someone in your life? I'd seek help.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:51 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,024 times
Do you really need them though? What would happen if they were no longer in your life? I think people are stronger than they realize. Unless they're your sole provider and you can't work or whatever, I don't think anybody really needs anyone. Even if you don't have any other friends, you'd be able to recover emotionally if they were no longer in your life. Of course it would suck, but recovering from loss is part of life.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:57 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Why would needing someone be a good thing in a relationship? All it means is you are with them to fill a void inside you. It doesn't mean you have true deeper feelings for them.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:22 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,356,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Im in a semi long-distance 3 year relationship and to make a long story short, I feel like I have come to the realization I need the person more than I want this person. I dont know how I feel about this, and feeling this way. If your significant other came to you and said 'I need you more than I want you".. what would your reaction be? Is this bad to feel something like this? Does this make me a bad one in the relationship?

I live in MA, sig other lives in NJ... if that matters.
I would leave the relationship because I would feel the only reason my partner is keeping me around is based on "dependency," not desire/love. IMO, that's not enough, and that's not healthy.

When people attract to me based on dependency/need, they feel like "contact paper" to me, and I feel smothered and enveloped. It doesn't feel healthy to me. Then, I retract and move away from them.

I think a relationship based primarily, or solely, on "need," is a recipe for disaster. Why? Well, when one person is in a position of strength, or dominance, and the other person is in a position of weakness (read: need,) the stronger person can easily use, abuse and exploit the weaker person, i.e., the person who is needy.

No, OP, I don't think you're a bad person.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:46 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Idk... depends on who “I need you“ is coming from and how that person expresses themselves IMO. I had just about had it with someone I’ll refer to as “emotionally constipated”, the strong silent type, I blurted out: “I can’t even tell if you like me any more!” After another of his “do whatever you want” comments.

A couple hours later I got a text: “come back, I need you.”

So maybe it doesn’t send shivers down every woman’s spine, but coming from him I knew it was a huge deal.

Need is seen differently by everyone. If you’re no longer attracted to your SO, or just dealing with them out of habit, OP, then there’s not really anything to discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships