Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 05:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times

Advertisements

No, I'm talking about research in nursing homes and participants in their 80s. The data is well recorded. Norovirus outbreaks, stds, get reported to the CDC in such facilities. The STD thing only came more to light over the last decade because medical professional's assumptions and biases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 05:26 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
And I've been in nursing homes that were nothing like your end-of-life hospice situation, and many of the residents were able to get up and move around. They had them come down to watch TV, eat in dining halls and so on. Hell, lots of people with Alzheimer's are in good health and quite able bodied for years!

What has always disturbed me when I heard about this was the question of if mental deterioration is going on, are they both still able to really consent?

I don't think that most nursing home patients are bed bound. I'm curious what the percentage would be, though, I don't know.

EDIT: A Dutch study estimates it's about 25% bed-ridden.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4620296/

Old 01-13-2020, 06:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
It depends on the facility. Where I worked was a skilled nursing facility and about 98% of them were in wheelchairs and almost 100% of them incontinent. They weren't necessarily bedbound because aides were responsible for getting them out of bed and wheeling them into the dining hall three times a day.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, I'm talking about research in nursing homes and participants in their 80s. The data is well recorded. Norovirus outbreaks, stds, get reported to the CDC in such facilities. The STD thing only came more to light over the last decade because medical professional's assumptions and biases.
There are lots of diseases in this places, a lot of these facilities aren't well staffed enough to practice good enough hygiene. C -diff is disease one that goes around a lot, also MRSA.

I think that STDs probably go around because they go unreported and doctors fail to screen people this age for STDs. So they don't get treated for it until it's too late and by that time, they've passed it on to someone else. That is probably the main reason.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Relationship counseling is a failure for most people. Relationships are work, plain and simple, just like partnerships. Lazy people fail at relationships. You don't need cheer leading you, need coaching.

Coaching can be brutal.
I was not suggesting relationship counseling.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:50 AM

172 posts, read 109,802 times
Unfortunately, seeing as how a lot of women seem to be emotionally unstable (And I only mean in the sense that their emotions tend to change fairly often, even when it comes to how they feel about someone), Relationships might last longer if they need a man. If they simply want a certain man, they may want someone else tomorrow. In the old days when women depended on men to provide and protect more, they tended to stick around longer. Go figure.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Nathan View Post
Unfortunately, seeing as how a lot of women seem to be emotionally unstable (And I only mean in the sense that their emotions tend to change fairly often, even when it comes to how they feel about someone), Relationships might last longer if they need a man. If they simply want a certain man, they may want someone else tomorrow. In the old days when women depended on men to provide and protect more, they tended to stick around longer. Go figure.

Yeah, when women had no options and society set it up for it to be pretty much impossible for them to be independent, they often kowtowed to men to be able to survive. Go figure.

I wouldn't want a woman to stay with me because they needed to.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:49 AM

172 posts, read 109,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, when women had no options and society set it up for it to be pretty much impossible for them to be independent, they often kowtowed to men to be able to survive. Go figure.

I wouldn't want a woman to stay with me because they needed to.
Well, if you’re willing to live for short term relationships and flings, then it is what it is.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Nathan View Post
Well, if you’re willing to live for short term relationships and flings, then it is what it is.
Or I have long term relationships based on healthy things and a desire to be with one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships