Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 01:22 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

I have yet to meet a man who already has a child or children for whom having another child in a new relationship is either a deal-breaker or a strong desire.

I have met many men for whom having a relationship with a usually-younger woman exacts the price of another child, and they sure don't expect to be very involved in care taking. I think being a parent AGAIN is the price they expect to pay for the new relationship.

Sure isn't inspiring. I sincerely doubt men would be strongly inclined to have more children out of a desire to have more children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 02:14 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,811,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have yet to meet a man who already has a child or children for whom having another child in a new relationship is either a deal-breaker or a strong desire.

I have met many men for whom having a relationship with a usually-younger woman exacts the price of another child, and they sure don't expect to be very involved in care taking. I think being a parent AGAIN is the price they expect to pay for the new relationship.

Sure isn't inspiring. I sincerely doubt men would be strongly inclined to have more children out of a desire to have more children.
I think this is the scenario I'm in.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:27 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
My current boyfriend and I had a conversation this past Sunday that made me feel a bit mislead. We were talking about future plans (like 5 year plan type stuff), and kids came up. Now, he’s divorced with two children however since the day he met he has told me on multiple occasions that he would have more children (which for me would be a deal breaker if he didn’t). So Sunday when we were talking about the future, I asked him about kids again and he basically said he’s getting older and he gets conflicted from time to time about whether he wants more. And then he went into the whole thing how it’s not easy, and he’s in his late 40’s and all that. I told him, that he’s aware I want children and he said yes, and then basically he started saying we’re both older (I’m 38) and how it might not be so easy to get pregnant, and that if I want to be pregnant by 40 we’d have to start trying in half a year and all this stuff. I kind of got a bit quiet and then he said “I think you’d be an amazing mom” and then he implied that he wouldn’t deny me having a child, but I feel like having a child is something we both should want, not just something for him to do to appease me. Also one thing he’s not aware of is that I froze my eggs a few years ago, I know I will have to tell him eventually but it’s a weird thing to bring up. I also feel I have to bring up this topic again, because I need a straight answer from him but I also feel like he might tell me what I want to hear out of fear of losing me. I don’t want to be in this relationship another year only to find out he doesn’t want kids, so I think maybe it’s time to bring up the egg freezing to let him know how serious I am about this. What do you guys think? How should I approach this?
1) He doesn't want any more kids.
2) He would have one for you.
3) YOU need to decide if that's good enough for you.
4) The fact that you haven't told him after 5 years that you froze your eggs says a lot about your relationship.
5) Do you live together? If so, you made it much harder to untangle if you split up. Do want's right. Not what's easy.

Sorry. I misread. How long have you been together?

Old 01-17-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
While you wouldn't know if you'd want kids with THAT person, would you know if you wanted kids at all?

I feel like this guy should know if he wants more kids
- he's in his late 40's and already has kids so he's not unfamiliar with what that entails.

I know Bebe tends to overanalyze situations but frankly, at her age and with her desire to have children, she should be analyzing this one.
He does know. He just isn't say an outright no for fear of the relationship ending. OP, how long have you been dating this guy?

Old 01-17-2020, 03:36 PM

I have two stories:

My friend met a guy when she was about 25. They went on a date. He said he was not interested in getting married ever. She said, I am so we probably shouldn't date. I think they just celebrated their 30th anniversary.

I also was dating at 37. I met a lot of guys for a period of about 3 years from 34-37. Some were divorced with kids. But the one who was sure he wanted kids is the guy I am still married to. I had my first at 40 and second at 41. DO NOT waste time with someone who is not on the same page as you. (He's not). Sorry. I know it's hard.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:40 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
I don't think any one has done anything wrong in this situation. You certainly have right to press issue, given your biological time frame. But he has every right not to give definitive answer to until he is sure that he can be the kind of father he can be proud to be -- after all nearly anyone can 'have a kid'. I hope stars align for you having a family, but sometimes they don't -- even with a lot of planning and preparation, circumstances change, minds change, the world changes....

Old 01-17-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
4) The fact that you haven't told him after 5 years that you froze your eggs says a lot about your relationship.
5) Do you live together? If so, you made it much harder to untangle if you split up. Do want's right. Not what's easy.

We've been together 4 months, we do not live together

Old 01-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I have two stories:

My friend met a guy when she was about 25. They went on a date. He said he was not interested in getting married ever. She said, I am so we probably shouldn't date. I think they just celebrated their 30th anniversary.

I also was dating at 37. I met a lot of guys for a period of about 3 years from 34-37. Some were divorced with kids. But the one who was sure he wanted kids is the guy I am still married to. I had my first at 40 and second at 41. DO NOT waste time with someone who is not on the same page as you. (He's not). Sorry. I know it's hard.
Up until this past Sunday, every time kids were brought up he said he would have more kids without hesitation, so now I feel like he was misleading me. He's always been open and honest with me, that's why this comes as a bit of a shock. I understand people can change their minds, but a change of heart within a few months is a bit suspect.

I should also add he is an excellent father to the two children he has now, and based on that he is the kind of father I would want for my child.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:57 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I understand people can change their minds, but a change of heart within a few months is a bit suspect.
No, not really. He's had situations about being there for his kids on holidays very recently--your previous post. One time like that can cause someone to change their mind.

He's not the one for you.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:30 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:

They have been dating for about 4 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships