Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 04:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

In my experience, people who talk about "drama" and "haters" are magnets for both - for a reason.

I mean, if you don't usually get involved in drama, why would you need to post that?

To me, it's ALWAYS a warning to stay away from that person, not an invitation to be with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 05:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
I think the older a person gets, the more *problems* they're likely to encounter with online dating. To me, they sound like they've probably had it with losers and are just bold enough to say so. I could understand that.

Or there's a possibility that they're passive-aggressive and telling people they dated for a short time exactly what they think of them. This would be a red flag for me.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:14 PM

6,459 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
In my experience, people who talk about "drama" and "haters" are magnets for both - for a reason.

I mean, if you don't usually get involved in drama, why would you need to post that?

To me, it's ALWAYS a warning to stay away from that person, not an invitation to be with them.
It seems to me, though, that online dating would be fraught with drama. Especially since it's an environment where you're putting yourself out there for *so many* people, with less of an initial filter over who you communicate with. Not at all like in the real world where you probably don't have the chance to meet so many at once, of so many different types, some of whom may feel fewer qualms about being drama-llamas because they're safe behind a computer screen. (Take [bleep] pics as a good example. How many guys do you think would walk up to a woman in person and [bleep]?)

I would imagine it's a lot harder to avoid drama in online dating, even if you're successful at doing so in real life.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-04-2020 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate lanuage.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

I would imagine it's a lot harder to avoid drama in online dating, even if you're successful at doing so in real life.
I do think that is true, because when you're meeting online you really can't tell at first if someone has a vibe that might tip you off to their dramatic tendencies.

Even so, there's no use in writing "no drama" because the people who have this problem aren't known for being self-aware enough to recognize it.

"Oh, she said 'no drama.' I'd better skip this profile ...."

Old 04-29-2020, 09:00 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
"No drama" is allowed in my life. Right. Good luck existing on this planet.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:37 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times
Yeah, I think 90% of women's profiles are just this (I'm sure the men, too). In addition, a lot of "Please read my profile!" or "If you're under 6 feet tall, swipe on by!"

Very berating and condescending profiles run amok.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:26 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, I think 90% of women's profiles are just this (I'm sure the men, too). In addition, a lot of "Please read my profile!" or "If you're under 6 feet tall, swipe on by!"

Very berating and condescending profiles run amok.
Probably because they have to be. Nobody probably ever put "no drama!" or "please read my profile!" if they hadn't been subjected to a lot of drama or people who hadn't read their profiles...

Old 04-30-2020, 02:36 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Or has chosen to assert a healthy boundary.

I particularly learned that stating it, followed by maintaining that healthy boundary HAS alleviated drama.

As for don't waste my time attitudes ...is it said with indifference? How is it meant?
I had a guy say that to me once and it made sense. It was basically his way of saying... Listen that circumstance is not mine to fix. So unfold that baggage and move on ...
That actually made sense then for him to say..'don't waste my time.'

More likely, even if what you say is true, that person who has lacked the wisdom to avoid those situations in the past.

But it's been my experience that those people who talk about drama are the biggest pot stirrers of them all.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:37 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
More likely, even if what you say is true, that person who has lacked the wisdom to avoid those situations in the past.

But it's been my experience that those people who talk about drama are the biggest pot stirrers of them all.
I sincerely wish to understand.
So a person who is direct and asserts a boundary is a pot stirrer?
Trying here to fathom a therapist telling a person they are a pot stirrer if they set a boundary and stick to the consistent healthy behavior and principle of drawing lines. Perhaps I'm not clearly understanding your experienced viewpoint. Enlighten please?

Old 04-30-2020, 06:26 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think the older a person gets, the more *problems* they're likely to encounter with online dating. To me, they sound like they've probably had it with losers and are just bold enough to say so. I could understand that.
Admittedly, I've never used those phrases in my profile, but I also don't write someone off who does because I have had my share of meeting people online who simply had never mastered the basics of adult life and/or who were just messed up in the head...stuff I wouldn't have believed anyone would do if I hadn't experienced it personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Or there's a possibility that they're passive-aggressive and telling people they dated for a short time exactly what they think of them. This would be a red flag for me.
That's a possibility, too.

I'd say using the "no-drama" and "don't waste my time" phrases are yellow flags, but not red flags for me. They do come off as a bit jaded & cynical, so it's not really starting things off on the right foot, even if the person isn't darma prone. But I do understand the underlying frustration behind those phrases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships