Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times

Advertisements

Ya but your situation is unusual in the United States.

Most young guys are not mature. Who knows if rape will occur, but other types of sexual or personal problems can occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
When I lived in Holland I went to a gym where the changing rooms were seperate, but the saunas and jucuzzis were co-ed and naked. You wore a towel, then took it off and climbed into the hot tubs and just lay on the towel in the saunas. For a Brit this took some getting used to, but the Dutch thought nothing of it.
By the end I thought nothing of it either. It just wasn't a big deal once you got over how DIFFERENT it was from what I was used to! No-one looked twice and I never once saw someone try and stay covered up. No-one cared.

Also I went to boarding school in Scandinavia. We all shared rooms, and a guy and one of my female friends lived together for about a year in a room. No sex, but she was a bit highly strung and he was better able to deal with her than anyone else. Again it was no big deal. They both dated other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 04:30 PM

793 posts, read 2,214,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Ya but your situation is unusual in the United States.

Most young guys are not mature. Who knows if rape will occur, but other types of sexual or personal problems can occur.

That I knew all along, it seemed American teens and adults (especially boys) are less mature in general then their European friends. Shocking? No

Old 05-04-2008, 06:07 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Back in high school, I hung out with mainly guys. At least once a week, all of us would walk to one of the guy's house and play video games until we crashed. Then we got up in the morning and walked to school. No funny business whatsoever. We even frequently had planned sleepovers on the weekends -pajamas and all. Again, nothing funny occurred when seven teenage boys and two teenage girls slept in one room.

Last year, I had three room mates. All were male. One was my now-husband, but there wasn't a problem with the other two guys at all. One was a platonic friend, and the other was like my little brother (except he is older than I) who was one of the friends from high school I spoke of in the previous paragraph.

Guess the immature guys I hung out with were more mature than I thought.....

Old 05-04-2008, 06:42 PM

783 posts, read 2,588,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I wonder how many rapes it will take to change this wonderful policy?
If both parties are open minded then there would be no rape. ...... but some of us are dubious hence I wouldn't be surprise if some hurmty starts going on.

NB hurmty isn't an english word but a street language.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
your situation is rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Back in high school, I hung out with mainly guys. At least once a week, all of us would walk to one of the guy's house and play video games until we crashed. Then we got up in the morning and walked to school. No funny business whatsoever. We even frequently had planned sleepovers on the weekends -pajamas and all. Again, nothing funny occurred when seven teenage boys and two teenage girls slept in one room.

Last year, I had three room mates. All were male. One was my now-husband, but there wasn't a problem with the other two guys at all. One was a platonic friend, and the other was like my little brother (except he is older than I) who was one of the friends from high school I spoke of in the previous paragraph.

Guess the immature guys I hung out with were more mature than I thought.....

Old 05-04-2008, 06:49 PM

646 posts, read 1,788,378 times
I guess I also have a hard time understanding what the big deal is. On the other hand, I did grew up in Sweden so my perspective may be a bit different since it wasn't anything odd with boys and girls sharing rooms in middle and high school without anybody thinking twice about it. These are people in college, so there should be even less of an issue since they are adults.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:08 PM

Yes European have a different understand of it because of the different morals and culture then the one in the US. Maybe it is time for the US to be more like Europe.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:26 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,211,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
Yes European have a different understand of it because of the different morals and culture then the one in the US. Maybe it is time for the US to be more like Europe.
No thanks. One Europe is enough.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:57 AM

549 posts, read 1,930,550 times
The US should (but never 'could') be like Europe in many aspects. Just the most basic - the metric system. But this is another topic...

Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 AM

I am just saying people should be more open minded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships