Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 12:59 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Not at all. More like stature and physical size have nothing at all to do with character - anyone can be a hero, a villain, a victim, a bystander. No one is obligated to rescue anyone else but it's nice if they choose to act when a need arises. You chose to see something as an attack on short men when the point was that a guy does not need to be large necessarily, to be a threat to women. Hell. A person need not be male to be a threat, to women or anyone. Bad people come in all descriptions. But I still believe that most people in general, of all sorts, are basically good.

Though I still insist that the bad stuff out there is not vanishingly rare, and should not be minimized or swept under the rug just because most people are "not like that."

That's a very poetic way to repeat the tired old idea that men are logical and women are emotional. Not in my experience. The partner who can juggle all the kids' appointments, school schedules, projects, plans, meal planning for the family, the household budget, a full time job, possibly part time college, pets and housekeeping tasks and a hundred other things that must be kept in balance every single day... I've known a lot of women who seem pretty damn pragmatic and practical and logical. Whereas the guy sometimes just wants to come home from his job and sit on his butt because he has feelings of tiredness and mental exhaustion and needs to unwind, and he expects intimacy from his wife because he has feelings about it. And if he loses his temper, he throws a fit. But yeah, men are so unemotional and logical...

I have seen a hundred breakups where the woman rationally knew the relationship was not in her self interest and saw the writing on the wall and was ready to take necessary steps to move on with her life, but the man left behind became an emotional wreck and engaged in completely irrational behavior in the face of losing his partner, even if he spent years ignoring every effort she made to address issues in the relationship.

The common retort to this old idea of women being so emotional, is the idea that women are raised with the space to acknowledge our emotions and process them, but men are raised to bottle them up and hide their vulnerability. I don't even see that as true, because tons of men, all sorts, and especially those who keep a "tough guy" persona, will open up and become squishy feelsy marshmallows the minute they are alone with me.

I think that the TRUE source and explanation for this stereotype is that it's simply a definition of women based on men's relationship to women, what use men see in us, we are the space for THEM to be emotional. When a man thinks of his emotional world, he usually thinks of his woman. He is emotional with regard to us, so he projects that on us, and therefore we are "emotional"...and he gets to flatter himself by thinking that he is logical and rational while he presents an argument as to why it was her fault he punched a wall. There are women who exercise extreme self control while their male peers are running around chasing impulses.

Nah, it is human to have both reason and emotion, degrees vary from one individual to the next, as do the presentations thereof. We all have hormones, thoughts, feelings, beliefs, strengths and weaknesses. Each PERSON should be out there looking for the fit in a mate who will match them in all of these important ways. With enough common ground to understand one another, but enough difference to complement one another.

In my household, I am the logical planner, thinker, and doer, I am practical and ambitious. My husband is not totally illogical or out of control emotional, but he has less ambition, he's more of a dreamer. He has much more imagination than I have. I think it's largely a matter of life experiences and upbringing.
Let me just add this observation of a man who is much smarter than all of us, and I believe a man is pragmatic and a woman is about imagination. Don't sell yourself short... Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world.

~A. Einstein~

Apparently he understood women quite well.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There is nothing wrong with your opinion.

Proverbs 21:19 It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and angry woman.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:01 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Our spirits are incredibly powerful when joined. All that is human ... beyond what eyes can see and ears can hear, hearts can imagine opens the whole world. It is the pragmatic nature of men and the unbound imagination of a woman that makes this happen.
After he pragmatically repairs the heating system, I unboundedly imagine that the room isn't 47 degrees.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
After he pragmatically repairs the heating system, I unboundedly imagine that the room isn't 47 degrees.
I imagine many women can fix the heating system... by picking up the phone and calling a man.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:26 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
If he as a man is the kind of man who needs to push other people around in the first place.

We were talking about men with a particular bully mentality and mindset. God, I'm so sorry I did not make sure to say #notallshortmen every other sentence.

This is frustrating because I already go out of my way to write these huge stupid long posts because I feel like I have to overexplain, cannot leave anything to context or common sense or the assumption that people have read any of my other posts enough to know that I would not be talking about a whole entire group of people as though they think or act alike... But heaven help me if I forget to carefully explain how no, I am not trying to personally hurt your feelings, or yours, or yours...

Good god now I understand why people complain about "wokeism" so much. Not that the original intent was bad, but boy can people twist a thing to look for their own flavor of grievance in it.

There absolutely is some set of guys who get pushed around, whether because of their stature or some other reason, and among those, some of them will end up craving a turn pushing other people around. Schoolyard bullies are often kids who are abused at home. Hurt people, hurt people. Sometimes. More apt to say those who do harm were often harmed themselves.

Not that it excuses anything, nor is it an absolute.

And ffs lest it need said, as it seems I have to do in every. damn. post. male humans aren't the only ones capable of some kind of small dog syndrome either. I've seen small women feel a need to act like scrappy little fighters, and to hit and push others around. Except the women who do this often seem to think that because a man isn't supposed to hit a woman back, she can go around hitting anybody she wants to. You wanna talk about unfair? THAT is unfair.

Wait...wait...before anyone says it, hang on...no, of course not all small women...
Why do short men have to be psychoanalyzed?

Why can’t a short Man be an abusive jerk because some people are abusive jerks like anyone of any size

Why does it have to be him overcompensating for his size?

Old 04-01-2024, 01:27 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.
Sounds like an endorsement for not needing a man to me.
Not sure what point you are trying to make.

A high IQ doesn't mean one is wise, definitely has no correlation to understanding women. Look at Sheldon Cooper, Einstein's #1 fan.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:32 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I imagine many women can fix the heating system... by picking up the phone and calling a man.
An he can put food on the table because of the job provided by the woman.

And we can go round and round.
How many men do you think can fix that heating system? All those other men pick up the phone to call another man (or woman) to fix it for them. Why do you find it derogatory when a woman calls a repairman?

Old 04-01-2024, 01:33 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
I wish there were more women in the trades!

Some guys always want to try the repair themselves first, I gotta admit I'm the same way but I know when to fold.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:50 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,278,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I wish there were more women in the trades!

Some guys always want to try the repair themselves first, I gotta admit I'm the same way but I know when to fold.
I really only do this because I am a busy-body and I enjoy tinkering with stuff LOL.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:53 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Believe me I have no intention of convincing anyone, especially someone I don't know. I was ask my opinion and I'm sharing it. Should I be cancelled now? I am not ashamed to say and openly say... I hold a Christian view of relationships and truly believe "man does not live by bread alone".... and it has nothing to do with bread.
You have a right to your opinion. I have a right to respond to your opinion to disagree with it, yes even as an atheist myself. My view on relationships is simple, be enough by yourself whether you can get a relationship or not. I live by that damn creed on the daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships