Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:52 AM

471 posts, read 1,042,861 times

Advertisements

falling in love is easy. Avoiding those who would challenge your love is the hard part. As long as you are happy there are going to be people who try and make you unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 12:16 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Phases of a healthy relationship in my opinion:
initial attraction (can be physical or mental)
If mental, physical attraction can happen in time
If initially physical, mental attraction may or may not happen
if it doesn't and the relationship is purely physical, it is doomed to fail

Assuming things are moving along and love is mutual
the next 100% necessary "ingredient" is respect

without mutual respect, love will not endure

if someone doesn't respect you, your feeling for them will wane (unless you have self esteem issues. that's a entirely different matter)

Old 09-15-2008, 04:14 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
A quote from Scrubs. One of DR Coxes better pieces

“Relationships don't work they way they do on television and in the movies. Will they? Won't they? And then they finally do, and they're happy forever. Gimme a break. Nine out of ten of them end because they weren't right for each other to begin with, and half of the ones who get married get divorced anyway, and I'm telling you right now, through all this stuff I have not become a cynic. I haven't. Yes, I do happen to believe that love is mainly about pushing chocolate covered candies and, y'know, in some cultures, a chicken. You can call me a sucker, I don't care, because I do believe in it. Bottom line: it's couples who are truly right for each other wade through the same crap as everybody else, but the big difference is they don't let it take them down. One of those two people will stand up and fight for that relationship every time. If it's right, and they're real lucky, one of them will say something “

Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 AM

6 posts, read 7,083 times
After reading all of these responses, I've concluded that many of you have no clue what you are talking about. Here are my notes for just the first page of responses:

- You confuse "love" with "relationships". The relationship should come first. After being in a relationship for quite some time, you may finally realize that you love them. The word "love" is thrown around entirely too often. Once you tell a person that you love them, you are making a much bigger commitment to them than just going out on dates and having sex.
- Love is easy... when you really mean it.
- Finally someone who has the right idea: "if you are in a unhappy relationship then I say yes you need to move on." Why would someone purposely make themselves unhappy?
- Finding someone attractive with a lifestyle that you like isn't love, it's becoming interested in a date. Once you date them, you may find that this person is a complete *******... or a person you really get along with. Love will not come into play until after this happens.
- Commitment is easy when love is real.
- Love should not be made of "sighs" and "tears". Just because you can't read someone's personal description of love doesn't mean that they know what they are talking about. Anyone can bull**** sounding smart. Love isn't complex, men just want women to believe that so he can tell her that he doesn't love her without hurting her feelings.
- Love should be effortless. If it has been less than a year and you have to put forth effort to stay together, then you probably aren't good for each other. If your boyfriend makes it clear that he doesn't love you (i.e. dumping you), then you should not waste your time trying to continue making it work. If "one little argument" was the cause of the breakup, then obviously there were other problems and the boyfriend waited for a good time to finally break off the relationship. If you continue calling him after the break up, no man will ever think "maybe I was wrong." They will always think "why won't this psychotic ***** stop calling me?"

Old 08-02-2010, 12:14 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
I believe it should be easy to want to love the person you are with and it should come as natural as anything else in your life you are dedicated to. That said, relationships are not easy by virtue of their own dynamics - no matter how much people try they will not think alike, agree on everything or see a relationship the same way.

Example, I love my dogs and it's easy to do because I have a dedication to them that is second nature. "Loving" them comes without any effort at all. However, when they go through the trash can or chew up my shoes - there's bound to be 'issues' and words such as "do it again and it's back to the pound with you." "Loving" them is easy - our "relationship" needs to be worked on constantly and is not so easy some days.

It's the same way when you put two people together - Loving them should be easy, but relationshps must be worked on constantly.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:17 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Holy 2 year old post resurrection

Old 08-02-2010, 12:19 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
I think love is easy but a relationship is sometimes not. If that makes sense...

It's easy for my husband and I to love each other but it's not easy sometimes for us to come to an agreement on something or understand where the other is coming from on a specific issue.

So loving someone should not be work, but yes relationship issues and hard times do take work at times to get through.

edit: sorry just realized how old this thread is and that Thursday said the pretty much the exact same thing

Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Holy 2 year old post resurrection
I'm always mystified when a brand-new poster unearths some oooooold thread. How? Why?

Dead thread walking!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:35 PM

46 posts, read 74,715 times
I think that you can love someone until you can not love them anymore. That when there is so much hurt, that all you can do is move on. Eventually the pain goes away and you start to open yourself up to new beginings. I used to believe that if you loved someone enough that you fight for them. But who wants to fight that battle alone. If someone cheated on you once, and you let them back more than likely they will do it again. But what goes around comes around.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 7,083 times
I'm the cause of the revival! I googled this question and saw the posts on the first page and thought that I could throw my opinion in there.

And yes, married relationships take work. If you live together and have kids, that takes a large quantity of cooperation by both parties.
If you are in high school and you have a boyfriend or girlfriend, then the relationship should be fairly effortless.
- Figuring out when and where to go on dates doesn't count as making an effort. And if planning a date is, in fact, very difficult, then maybe one or both people shouldn't be dating anyone since they're already dating their video games/sports/jobs etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships