Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 35,217 times

Advertisements

Hello I need some help or advice I have been dating this very nice woman for about eight months now but every time I say something romantic or caring she tells me I am being corny and to stop. Sex is not bad and in fact its good. I need help communicating with her or even how to act when I am with her, she doesn't holding hands cuddling or even kissing that much unless shes had a few drinks then she tells me she cares for me or that she likes me or even tolerates romantic words. Help me I am going crazy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 03:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Maybe she is just using you for sex. I'm so so sorry. I feel pity for you because you probably want a woman you can cuddle and kiss with. Is she cold in other areas of your relationship?

She could have an "issue" receiving care and kindness. That can be a major problem in a relationship.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:35 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Wine and dine her butt.....be as romantic as you want!
If she tells you it sounds "corny" then tell her it hurts your feelings when she says that. I mean, what does she want? Wham bam, thank ya` maam`?
I think its sweet.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:51 PM

we can spend hours on the phone we even watch tv together while on the phone for hours she works in a bar and has men always asking her out and she has a group of friends thats she hangs out with socially that i am not a part of but when she gets home at some rather late hours she will wake me up via phone call and talk to me about her evening out. The next day she will call again in the morning and several time through out the day but we only see each other 3-4 times a week and 2-3 times we go to eat or have a few drinks and then thats when we are together as a couple she will spend the night 2-3 times a week but other than that it rather cold and distant. I don't dare tell her I miss her or want to see her more because she tells me i am corny she is not into public displays of affection unless she has had a few drinks and then I feel her warmth and tenderness. We are going to Acapulco for five days and i am kind of afraid of overdoing it on the romantic front. help please

Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM

Soltero,

I'd just tone it down. She has a bit of a callous personality and doesn't feel that type of affection or warmth for you unless she is drinking. That really isn't a good sign imo, since you want it reciprocated.

When you go to Acapulco try and enjoy all the other things about your vacation instead of over focusing on her.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:58 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Tell her that this part bothers you.
Explain to her, that you want to say romantic things to her, because this is how you feel. You sound like an understanding guy....but she sounds rather distant. You need to communicate with her, and if she responds the same way, then maybe the two of you, are not compatible.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:01 PM

I second yankeegirl's suggestion. Try explaining and be assertive; however, being assertive doesn't guarantee you what you want especially if the person is callous and distant.

You might learn that the both of you are not compatible. It sounds to me like she could be using you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Tell her that this part bothers you.
Explain to her, that you want to say romantic things to her, because this is how you feel. You sound like an understanding guy....but she sounds rather distant. You need to communicate with her, and if she responds the same way, then maybe the two of you, are not compatible.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
It's hard to say. There are number of possibilities:

- cold fish by nature
- emotionally unavailable
- self-hatred (feels undeserving of your affection)
- tries to keep you at arm's length because the relationship is not important to her
- sexually abused as a child

That's a few off the top of my head.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:07 PM

We do get along but I am getting tired of her inability to accept affection, she blames her mother because her mother told her since childhood she never married the man she truly loved and that love was just an illusion. Like today I when she called me her first words were "hey cornball whats up" we laugh all the time and kid around but it would be nice to hear a good morning i was thinking about you. There is an 12 year age difference she is 29 and i am 42 i am just out of touch with more modern women

Old 10-10-2008, 04:10 PM

Dude you are more mature than her mentally and age wise. She is young and probably wants to focus on fun and not be invested in serious emotions.

Emotions could be super serious for her and she isn't ready for that with you yet. So take it slow, give her space, and time. In her eyes you are rushing and pushing things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltero1965 View Post
We do get along but I am getting tired of her inability to accept affection, she blames her mother because her mother told her since childhood she never married the man she truly loved and that love was just an illusion. Like today I when she called me her first words were "hey cornball whats up" we laugh all the time and kid around but it would be nice to hear a good morning i was thinking about you. There is an 12 year age difference she is 29 and i am 42 i am just out of touch with more modern women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships