Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:09 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Manners is just about creating a comfortable social environment for everybody involved. So what you did was probably correct, particularly if she was holding the door open for you. Funny, but I've never really thought about my effect on a woman in a stairwell in that light.

Of course, on the other hand, if you're wearing business attire and it looks obvious that you're just schlepping your way to the car after another day in Cubicleland, then it begs the question of why on earth any non-neurotic woman would be afraid of you. I would think that, particularly in the environment of a dark parking garage, the presence of a non-threatening male would be a bit of comfort for a woman walking to her car.

Ladies, is my assumption right or wrong?
I think your assumption is wrong. Business attire, a tired look, and a brief case do not mean someone isn't a creep. They come in all varieties. (I just learned one of my favorite past coworkers is a child molester.) Blame the media if you want, but we're all barraged with horror stories about various crimes. I personally know women who've been raped, mugged, followed, etc., so I've their stories in the back of my mind. It makes you think the world is very unsafe. I grant you that the vast majority of people are completely normal, but you just can't tell the creeps from the rest that easily.

OP, I believe you've been doing the correct thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
I would still be leary because one can never be too sure...heck, Ted Bundy would walk his female coworkers out to their cars at night in his khakis and sweater, always reminding them to "lock up when they get home"...

No one is exempt...Sorry...

Quote:
Manners is just about creating a comfortable social environment for everybody involved. So what you did was probably correct, particularly if she was holding the door open for you. Funny, but I've never really thought about my effect on a woman in a stairwell in that light.

Of course, on the other hand, if you're wearing business attire and it looks obvious that you're just schlepping your way to the car after another day in Cubicleland, then it begs the question of why on earth any non-neurotic woman would be afraid of you. I would think that, particularly in the environment of a dark parking garage, the presence of a non-threatening male would be a bit of comfort for a woman walking to her car.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:23 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I agree with the others that you are doing the right thing by giving the ladies some safe "space" in the stairwell. Heck, if it were me, I probably would head back up the stairs feigning a forgotten item, so that I'd not have you behind me!

Old 12-19-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, times what they are, there is no such thing as a "non-threatening male" in a dark parking garage, unless you already know them.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:27 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
So offering that she looks really hot in that skirt and heels wouldn't extend the circle of love, right?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:27 AM

607 posts, read 1,334,364 times
And even then...

Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
So offering that she looks really hot in that skirt and heels wouldn't extend the circle of love, right?
Noooo....

Definitely not!

Old 12-19-2008, 11:29 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
I guess if I was in a dark stairwell I would be nervous if the guy was in front of me or in back of me.

If he is in front of me, I can see what he is doing but he would also have the ability to block my path.

If he is in back of me, I cannot see what he is doing, he could attack from behind, or he could be checking out my a$$ the whole time.

So either way, a man I don't know in a dark stairwell, esp. one leading to a parking garage, could possibly freak me out.

Which way is preferrable? I guess if he was in front. At least I could watch him and know that he wasn't watching me.

It is terrible how paranoid we can be sometimes, but not without reason.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
HA! Yeah I wouldn't go there.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:55 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
It is terrible how paranoid we can be sometimes, but not without reason.
It is sad we have to fear others.

Quote:
Of course, on the other hand, if you're wearing business attire and it looks obvious that you're just schlepping your way to the car after another day in Cubicleland, then it begs the question of why on earth any non-neurotic woman would be afraid of you
Looks can be deceiving. This reminds me of a incident my brother and a friend were in. They were young in the mid '80's hanging out at the mall wearing leather jackets and sporting their new ear ring and tatoo. There was an elderly lady having car trouble and they approched her to see if they could get her car started. She immediately got in the car, rolled up the window and locked the doors. They tried to explain they just wanted to help, but that made her more frightened so they left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships