Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:29 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times

Advertisements

This seems a little odd. Last night I stopped by the local pub and ended up chatting with a very pleasant and well-traveled elderly man who is a friend of a friend.

Since it was getting late and I knew he'd walked there with our mutual friend, who had to leave earlier, I offered to drive him home. It wasn't out of the way. As we were leaving, he found out that the pub doesn't take credit cards, so I paid for his two beers.

He now wants to take me to a very nice restaurant for dinner in repayment. He's much, much older than I am - and he's married but separated.

So, I don't want to hurt his feelings by refusing dinner and giving him a chance to graciously pay me back. I know he's lonely. He's lived an interesting life and is fun to talk to. But isn't this sort of weird? Or is it no big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,724 times
I think that is so sweet of him to offer, but yes, I think it may be a bit uncomfortable for you and for him when he realizes you aren't interested.

Why not suggest that the two of you meet up (with your mutual friend) at the same pub and he can buy you a drink or two?

Personally, I might enjoy spending an evening with an interesting well spoken older gentlemen if I wasn't already married.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,712,733 times
Eh, if you don't want to go to dinner with him, thank him for the offer but tell him it's not necessary and if you run into him at a pub again, he can buy then. If his feelings are hurt by that, then you're better off not going to dinner with him anyway.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:35 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,891 times
I think it's a tiny bit of both, no big deal and a tad weird. He sounds like a sweet man who just wants some company, and he probably has more interesting stories. Can you suggest he just buy you a coffee? you could meet him and talk for a little while then say you have to leave.
Does he have your contact info?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:38 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,161,054 times
I don't see it as a romantic date. He wants to thank you for paying for his beers and he liked talking to you. If he's interesting to talk to, why not have a casual friendship? Suggest a lunch or brunch date, and avoid an evening encounter. Older people are cool, and sometimes lonely as their friends move away or die.

Not every elderly man that asks out a younger woman is a dirty old man or Hugh Hefner type. Plus you said that he's a friend of a friend, pleasant and well-traveled. Keep the talk to his travels and your mutual friend. I suspect that he'll behave like a perfect old fashioned gentleman.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
I see nothing wrong with having dinner with a nice and interesting person.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:26 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
This seems a little odd. Last night I stopped by the local pub and ended up chatting with a very pleasant and well-traveled elderly man who is a friend of a friend.

Since it was getting late and I knew he'd walked there with our mutual friend, who had to leave earlier, I offered to drive him home. It wasn't out of the way. As we were leaving, he found out that the pub doesn't take credit cards, so I paid for his two beers.

He now wants to take me to a very nice restaurant for dinner in repayment. He's much, much older than I am - and he's married but separated.

So, I don't want to hurt his feelings by refusing dinner and giving him a chance to graciously pay me back. I know he's lonely. He's lived an interesting life and is fun to talk to. But isn't this sort of weird? Or is it no big deal?
No it isn't weird...he's not living with his wife right now...he is as you say, probably lonely, and wants a dinner date.

What I would do is this...since he is interesting and well traveled, tell him you'd like to go, but you are only interested in being friends, anything more then that you are not able to give him...but tell him, sometimes being friends is better then any relationship....and you might make a friend in him for life? But if he still makes a pass, then I'd move on and not look back...

It's actually your choice, your not doing anything wrong, you have said, he's interesting and fun...so go enjoy...as long as your honest and upfront from the start...remember, he must honor your wishes and if he violates them, then he violates your friendship.

Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Good Luck
Creme

Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 AM

462 posts, read 968,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't see it as a romantic date. He wants to thank you for paying for his beers and he liked talking to you. If he's interesting to talk to, why not have a casual friendship? Suggest a lunch or brunch date, and avoid an evening encounter. Older people are cool, and sometimes lonely as their friends move away or die.

Not every elderly man that asks out a younger woman is a dirty old man or Hugh Hefner type. Plus you said that he's a friend of a friend, pleasant and well-traveled. Keep the talk to his travels and your mutual friend. I suspect that he'll behave like a perfect old fashioned gentleman.
great point!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:42 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No it isn't weird...he's not living with his wife right now...he is as you say, probably lonely, and wants a dinner date.
I pretty much agree, but have been thinking what a big difference age makes in a situation like this.

If this man was only five or ten years older than I am, then it really wouldn't be acceptable. But the fact that he's in his 70's makes him safe enough to go out with, despite the fact he's married.

He mentioned her several times last night, usually in glowing terms. I don't know the back story and figure he's resigned to the situation, but not happy to be separated.

It will probably be fun. Cultured, well-to-do men don't come along every day. LOL

Old 01-09-2009, 08:48 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
Wouldn't get too dramatic about it. One of my best friends is a woman twice my age at 63. We've done all kinds of stuff together and we've been friends almost 10 years. I'm the same age as her children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships