Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is letting me crash on her couch for a week. I have already told her that I will chip in with food, buy my own food, etc. and offered to walk her dog/let it out to bathroom while she is at work.

what are some ways I can thank her at the end of my stay? I thought about just offering money for the extra strain on water/utilities/etc, but would that seem rude? I thought of flowers, but they just die, and she wouldn't be able to enjoy them for very long.

some ideas I thought of:

1) cookie basket
2) starbucks card (although I don't know if she drinks coffee)
3) generic gift card
4) flowers, but not liking this idea.

Ideas of anything I could consider? thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Ideas of anything I could consider? thanks!!
I think a generic gift card would be the best.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,570 times
Have you offered to kick out the money for your stay already? If so, did she decline? If you haven't, don't say anything, but offer it to her at the end of your stay. If she declines the money, I usually don't force it on them. I'd look to buy her a giftcard or something and mail it to her, or hand it to her the next time you see her.

You could also show your gratitude by cooking for her, or doing something around the house (of course not invading privacy), and a small token at the end of the stay.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 AM

ok, that seems reasonable! they do come in handy! thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think a generic gift card would be the best.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
A gift card to a really nice restaurant for a significant amount of money - for example, a card to Ruth's Chris for $300 or $400?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Walking her dog for her is something that she'll really appreciate during your stay. Otherwise, just be good company for her and have a good time while you are with her. Good thank you gifts might be taking her out to a really nice dinner or brunch. Giftcards to Whole Foods, pet store, her favorite restaurant or somewhere else she likes.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM

I see, I haven't offered the full money value for the stay, but I told her not to go to any special trouble, and that I plan to take care of my own food and chip in, and whatever meals we cook, I will split the bill and cleaning, etc. I also told her that ordering a pizza is fine too.
Making dinner is a good idea, I know she works long hours and is usually pretty beat, and I think she's happy to know I will be there to keep her dog company and walk it, etc.
it's the small token of thanks part that I wanted some ideas on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Have you offered to kick out the money for your stay already? If so, did she decline? If you haven't, don't say anything, but offer it to her at the end of your stay. If she declines the money, I usually don't force it on them. I'd look to buy her a giftcard or something and mail it to her, or hand it to her the next time you see her.

You could also show your gratitude by cooking for her, or doing something around the house (of course not invading privacy), and a small token at the end of the stay.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
A gift card to a really nice restaurant for a significant amount of money - for example, a card to Ruth's Chris for $300 or $400?
I was thinking more like $100 - 150!! Maybe I'm just super cheap??
We have guests come and stay with us all the time for long weekends, and sometimes over a week. I don't expect anything as I enjoy having guests and like hanging out with them. A GC would be a nice gesture though.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 AM

Hmmmm, is that a tad bit steep? I can stay in a hotel for that amount!!! Plus, she's single, so she'd have to make a few trips to eat that amount of food??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post

Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 AM

cool! and perhaps as the week goes on, and we go out, etc. I can get "feelers" from her on places she likes!! good idea!
I know she works long hours and doesn't go out to eat all that much, so a card for groceries or pet supplies may be nice, or a generic Visa card or something!! thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Walking her dog for her is something that she'll really appreciate during your stay. Otherwise, just be good company for her and have a good time while you are with her. Good thank you gifts might be taking her out to a really nice dinner or brunch. Giftcards to Whole Foods, pet store, her favorite restaurant or somewhere else she likes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships