Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you are not a true american if you dont have 2 or 3 divorces under your belt
Yey, I'm a true American!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
What do I make of this?

I have a profile up on a couple dating websites and yesterday this was the first paragraph in an e-mail I received...

"You have a fascinating profile. I remember seeing it when I first made the leap to sign up to this service a couple of months ago, but I think the 'never married' part kind of scared me. But I'm getting "braver" as I get closer to independence and a chance to find someone more compatible."

He then went on to write a few more paragraphs that were actually written pretty well. I don't really find the guy all that attractive (and really don't see myself dating someone who isn't divorced yet) but I would have considered at least a date or two to get to know him and maybe form some kind of friendship but the first paragraph really turned me off.

Am I overreacting by being irritated at the "scared me" comment? This is coming from a guy who isn't even divorced yet. He's separated after 18 years of marriage.

What the heck is "scary" about someone who has never been married? Either he thinks there's something "wrong" with me because I've never been married, or he thinks I'm so high maintenance and picky that no man will ever be enough for me. Both are wrong.

What do you think?
There is a school of thought that people aged 40 and up who've never been married are too set in their ways to adapt to living with a partner, they don't know how to give/take/flex, may be too rigid and thus not a good partner.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
40 Year Old Male Never been married - No big deal. Just a man enjoying life to the fullest.

40 Year Old Female Never Been married - Uh oh.
You should have edited it one more time.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
you are not a true american if you dont have 2 or 3 divorces under your belt.
I beg your pardon...I certainly am! Gosh...I don't know if I have another marriage in me at this point!!

Quote:
please note 40% of eharmony users are married. take it for what it is, liars highway to the galaxy.
As often as you like to say that...you should just add it to your siggie and be done with it!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:05 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,942 times
Quote:
What the heck is "scary" about someone who has never been married? Either he thinks there's something "wrong" with me because I've never been married, or he thinks I'm so high maintenance and picky that no man will ever be enough for me. Both are wrong.

What do you think?
This is the general thought process in our society. It's inconceivable that a woman worth having would not make it to 40 without getting married or at least being in a long term relationship.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
This is the general thought process in our society. It's inconceivable that a woman worth having would not make it to 40 without getting married or at least being in a long term relationship.
Well, I've been in long term relationships, lived with a guy, been engaged, been dumped, been the dumper, pretty much an all-around relationship history. What I don't do though is put all that info in an online profile, so all the person ends up seeing is that oh-so-scary "never married" label.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I agree.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Well, I've been in long term relationships, lived with a guy, been engaged, been dumped, been the dumper, pretty much an all-around relationship history. What I don't do though is put all that info in an online profile, so all the person ends up seeing is that oh-so-scary "never married" label.
I'd be more than happy if I were them! Do they prefer a bunch of kids and/or psycho exes in tow?!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
What you wrote scared him; what he wrote scared you. I think you both get scared too easily. Maybe you'd be just right for each other.

Seriously, I've had women tell me they'd not be interested in a guy over 40 who's never been married, because he's too used to living alone and set in his ways. It made some sense to me.

I almost married a 40-year-old never-married gal once. She was a sweetie and we got along great. She was too good for me.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'd be more than happy if I were them! Do they prefer a bunch of kids and/or psycho exes in tow?!
My thoughts exactly
Nothing against divorcées
But I would think there are some advantages in having no baggage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships