Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
if she's a desirable mate, she will have many men pursuing her and trying to woo her to win her affection. But if shes gone 20 years (starting from when she was 20) and have not gotten married, in men's minds, something must be wrong with her.....

If the woman is 40 years old and never been married she is probably not very attractive, is difficult to get along with, has nothing but failed/unsuccessful relationships in her life that she blames on "always finding the wrong guy" (or actually blames on any and everything but herself), she's fat, she tends to act in a way that chases men away (possessive, jealousy, etc.), or something similar.

The rule is different for women because of how women think and live. Women wait and hope for someone to ask them to get married. Men do the asking.
What you say is generally true but there are some exceptions. I see you've heard from some of them.

However, the same thing is true of men, but since they do the asking and it is difficult for those in the bottom 2/3 to do this successfully, there are many more men who are 40 who are good prospects. However, the women have to realize that they will not be the pick up artists the encountered in their 20s. And this is probably for the best, but try to convince women this is so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
DaBeez,

You really have your head screwed on all wrong.

All those things you say about unwed women in their 40's is a bunch of made up BS!
So you are the exception. What does this prove? I wasn't too picky but the pickings are really slim for men in this age group. These women are usually unmarried for a NUMBER of very good reasons.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:46 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
So a 40 year old unmarried woman can't be enjoying life to the fullest? Why a different rule for women.
Last summer, I worked with a lot of people with a traditional conservative old country mindset. They from all over the world, Europe, South America, Asia and Africa. What they were mostly shocked at was that I was almost 50 and didn't have any children or desire to have any. Meanwhile, I was shocked at some of the guys that had kids and were working themselves to death to try to support their families. One cook was about $20k plus in debt with his credit cards and car loans.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I just said that women should not just sit around and wait for someone to ask them to marry them. If she wants to get married so badly, and if she is able to find a man to maintain interest in her, maybe she should ask HIM to marry her.
Doesn't work. I had this experience. She was even pressuring my poor Mother, who thought that she was the worst thing that could happen to me.

Then she made the comment that if we got married, she would buy me a car (we passed) that would likely cost 2 year's of my salary! (She was in debt)

Beam me up, Scotty!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,825 times
I've known women who waited til 40 or older to marry for the first time and they are all AMAZING women. They are kind, attractive, and brilliant. I admire them; they made very wise choices and found great husbands. Contrast that with so many women I've seen marrying young & ending up miserable because they made a bad choice for a mate.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Doesn't work. I had this experience. She was even pressuring my poor Mother, who thought that she was the worst thing that could happen to me.

Then she made the comment that if we got married, she would buy me a car (we passed) that would likely cost 2 year's of my salary! (She was in debt)

Beam me up, Scotty!
"we" passed??? You and Mommy?? Just wondering...

Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM

52,247 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I've known women who waited til 40 or older to marry for the first time and they are all AMAZING women. They are kind, attractive, and brilliant. I admire them; they made very wise choices and found great husbands. Contrast that with so many women I've seen marrying young & ending up miserable because they made a bad choice for a mate.
Its a crap shoot either way. I think it's just a matter of luck on some level.

When you're young you have more to choose from, yet might not know what you're compatible with.

When you're older you know what you want more, but the market pickings are a little slimmer.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM

82 posts, read 235,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
When you're young you have more to choose from, yet might not know what you're compatible with.

When you're older you know what you want more, but the market pickings are a little slimmer.
How true that is. I married young and was divorced by my late 20's. I'm 40 now and have not remarried - although I almost did once.

People are waiting longer to get married because they don't want to make a mistake and find themselves unhappily married and eventually divorced or they're focusing on a career. What's that old saying..."if I knew then what I know now"....well if I had I wouldn't have gotten married at 21.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Just curious...why did they wait? What happened in the intervening 20 years (after college, if they attended), if this is in fact their first marriage?

Old 01-21-2009, 02:00 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjacket View Post
How true that is. I married young and was divorced by my late 20's. I'm 40 now and have not remarried - although I almost did once.

People are waiting longer to get married because they don't want to make a mistake and find themselves unhappily married and eventually divorced or they're focusing on a career. What's that old saying..."if I knew then what I know now"....well if I had I wouldn't have gotten married at 21.
Very true. I would have been much better off waiting until I was older, and knew what was compatable with my values.
I admire people who don't get married because it's what you are supposed to do, and wait for someone you can live with the rest of your life. If more people took the time to get to know themselves there might not be as much divorce as there is these days. My sister watched the mistakes me and my other sister made, and wiated until she found the right one at almost 40. In the meantime she has had a very happy full life with friends and interests, not waiting for someone to "complete" her. IMO people who wait are better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships