Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 PM

9 posts, read 59,490 times

Advertisements

So I have been with a girl for about 4 years now. She is the first person I ever seriously dated. While things are great at times, I am not really sure if this is who I want to be with forever. However, things are good enough that I do not want to lose what I have in case I can not find anything better. She wants to get engaged now, but I have been putting it off.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:02 PM

937 posts, read 2,835,057 times
Well, you have to decide right here and now. Always remember, not everything is greener on the other side of the fence. If you decide to see what else is out there, then you can kiss her butt good bye. You going out to look at other fresh meat, and then finding out she's the best you'll find, will leave her feeling you only want her because you cant find anything else.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:06 PM

44 posts, read 167,912 times
hmmm, that's not really fair just staying with her just because your not sure if u can get better, i can imagine if she wants to marry you, she obviously really loves you and sees a possible future with you.

if you're second guessing then perhaps the relationship then maybe, just maybe, the relationship isn't right for you and you should move on, but then again, as BurtsBees said "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" and you could be loosing the best thing to happen you.

Think it over...

Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 PM

440 posts, read 1,682,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandfree View Post
So I have been with a girl for about 4 years now. She is the first person I ever seriously dated. While things are great at times, I am not really sure if this is who I want to be with forever. However, things are good enough that I do not want to lose what I have in case I can not find anything better. She wants to get engaged now, but I have been putting it off.

Any advice?
Never settle out of fear that you will never find happiness again. In life if you want one, you have to take risks. Are you willing to take that risk?

My ex-fiance and I didn't follow through because I wasn't sure, and I backed out... It was good that I did, because now we're very close friends and actually get along better and have a stronger friendship. I never see myself being committed to him again, but I don't regret the 3.5 years with him.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:

Any advice?

It really all depends on the two of you. Some people marry their first love, never put themselves through the singles' scene, never date and break up, date and break up, date and break up. They marry, settle down, make a life together.

You have to decide if you want to move on, find other women, date others -- some of whom you might be able to have a life with, others you'll find are a complete waste of time.

You have to decide if you're just having a minor case of cold feet, or if you're realizing this woman isn't the one you want to marry.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,859,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWPN View Post
Never settle out of fear that you will never find happiness again. In life if you want one, you have to take risks. Are you willing to take that risk?

My ex-fiance and I didn't follow through because I wasn't sure, and I backed out... It was good that I did, because now we're very close friends and actually get along better and have a stronger friendship. I never see myself being committed to him again, but I don't regret the 3.5 years with him.
What is your point?

If you are happy, you shouldn't get married?

If you dump him, he'll become a better friend, but not one to get married to?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
i used to marry people that now i wont even date.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:26 AM

440 posts, read 1,682,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
What is your point?

If you are happy, you shouldn't get married?

If you dump him, he'll become a better friend, but not one to get married to?
My point is if he's unhappy he shouldn't settle, and marry the woman out of fear he'll ever find anyone again!

My situation was my situation. I didn't settle out of fear that I'll never find the man I want to marry. It just so happens that my ex and I are better off friends.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 59,490 times
Thanks guys. I still have no idea what to do, but I hope I can figure it out soon.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:15 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
Quote:

Any advice?
That's not reason enough to get married. You must be young. If you can imagine finding "anything better," you're not ready to get married.

You should be honest with your gf and tell her you're not sure. What's your age? Are either of you headed off to college? Already there?

I married my first real girlfriend. Big mistake. I think most people are better off if they date others a little before getting married; of course that's my personal opinion based on my personal experiences.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships