Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 04:56 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,279,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Gosh I so agree with this. I always heard about the "terrible twos" and "terrible tweens" and the dreaded teens. We never had any of those experiences, surprisingly (and thankfully!). What can I say? I'm lucky and I know it. It's been an incredibly easy, fun-filled, and loving ride, so far.
As you probably experienced, there are times that are more trying on the nerves and require more patience but every step has been a wonderful experience for us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM

37,720 posts, read 46,165,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
As you probably experienced, there are times that are more trying on the nerves and require more patience but every step has been a wonderful experience for us...
Too true. I will say, I'm a MUCH more patient person now than I was in my 20's, so for me, having a child later was best.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 PM

10 posts, read 22,114 times
I once felt that way. Until I had my beautiful little boy two years ago on Christmas day! I don't see how I ever lived without him. He brings such joy to me and my husband. (My husband was 36 when my son was born.)
Of course, if you are not wanting any children, then you should wait. The Lord is in control of all of that. He knows your desires and won't send anything into your life that you can't handle.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:16 PM

985 posts, read 2,603,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
silverwing - sweet puppies!!! And reason #11 is pretty darn funny, I laughed out loud. Do you think these parents with all these kids that go on TV are in a way selling their kids? They are using their children to be on TV and profit from it. I have problems with those kinds of reality shows that involve children. There are privacy issues there, I feel it's wrong to exploit your children like that. But that's just me.

I have to say, though, that at least human children grow up and live their own lives (if you do your job right), and at some point (after pottytraining) you don't have to deal with their pee or poop anymore. Our vet (we have cats) has told us that dogs are like toddlers who never grow up. We are thinking of adopting a dog, and are finding it to be a huge decision. It really is like deciding whether you want to have another child or not - and this time a child that will depend on you for every need it's entire life, rather than ever growing up and becoming independant from you. We do love dogs, though. They can offer great and constant companionship if you can tolerate their needs and accept the responsibilities.
Dogs are hard to take care of? Not really, in my experience. I use to have a cocker spaniel and he was a breeze. Well, until he got old and senile, but that happens with people as well. And, my dog had a big yard to play in so that may also make a difference. Or does the difficulty of raising them just depend on the breed?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:17 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,758,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Gosh I so agree with this. I always heard about the "terrible twos" and "terrible tweens" and the dreaded teens. We never had any of those experiences, surprisingly (and thankfully!). What can I say? I'm lucky and I know it. It's been an incredibly easy, fun-filled, and loving ride, so far.
I love the toddler stage even if I have to dig up my remote control from the trash once in a while. They are always coming up with interesting ways to amuse themselves. To me babies are boring, they do not do anything.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,357,674 times
I'm glad I have grandkids but the best part is that they can go home and I don't have to raise them. Of course I'd help them and my daughter and son-in-law but..............

Old 03-12-2009, 07:42 AM

23,286 posts, read 29,145,078 times
Having a child is an 18 year prison sentence, with no chance of parole! But hey! There are a great number in prison who are loving every minute of it!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 AM

166 posts, read 483,438 times
I am a very stable, 37 year old woman who has her own house, car, clothes, and I travel the world all paid for by my own hard work. I have voluntarily chosen to live a child-free life for many reasons. I believe that just because you can procreate, doesn't mean you should.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:57 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,727,356 times
I want to have children but am in no rush whatsoever. I want one son and one daughter.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:21 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,238,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Ha!

Why dogs are better than kids:
1. Eat less
2. Don’t ask for money all the time
3 Are easier to train
4. Normally come when called
5. Never ask to drive the car
6. Don’t hang out with drug-using friends
7. Don’t smoke or drink
8. Don’t have to buy the latest fashions
9. Don’t want to wear your clothes
10. Don’t need a gazillion dollars for college, and…
11. If they get pregnant, you can sell their children.

12. No college bills.
13. You can crate a dog if you want to go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships