Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:38 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,850,792 times

Advertisements

I've never wanted children. I never babysat. The sight of them annoys me except for cute babies. Once they are old enough to run around I can't stand them. It's a genetic thing because my sister never wanted them, either. I think I would be a good mom in some ways, but a bad mom in other ways. I know I wouldn't want to pass on my negative traits to somebody innocent. So I have kitties and I love them. Once in a while I'll have a moment where I think I wouldn't mind having a little girl (not that you have a choice), but that moment goes by quickly once I hear screaming and babble. I know it sounds awful, but I can't take it.

I'm in my early 30s so all I hear about is everyone's kids and what they're doing now, blah blah blah. I just find it boring. I can't wait until they're all in school and it's not so fascinating to everyone anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:42 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,041,367 times
There's no such thing as a cute baby.

Babies remind me of that octopus thing that throws up on Will Smith during Men in Black

Old 02-27-2009, 01:12 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,758,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, not much, but ask this question in the Relationships forum and you will get post after post after post calling you a sack of selfish ****.
Interesting. Maybe we parents in the parenting forum are too nice and keep getting all the anti-children threads.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:55 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,052,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
I've never wanted children. I never babysat. The sight of them annoys me except for cute babies. Once they are old enough to run around I can't stand them. It's a genetic thing because my sister never wanted them, either. I think I would be a good mom in some ways, but a bad mom in other ways. I know I wouldn't want to pass on my negative traits to somebody innocent. So I have kitties and I love them. Once in a while I'll have a moment where I think I wouldn't mind having a little girl (not that you have a choice), but that moment goes by quickly once I hear screaming and babble. I know it sounds awful, but I can't take it.

I'm in my early 30s so all I hear about is everyone's kids and what they're doing now, blah blah blah. I just find it boring. I can't wait until they're all in school and it's not so fascinating to everyone anymore.
I found girls more annoying as well. They are also more difficult to handle in the classroom because they get upset over every petty thing and form cliques as young as 3 years old. If I ever had a child I would hope and pray it was a boy. I wouldn't want my daughter to become a brainless bubblehead that goes around saying "whatever" and "oh my god" all day.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:57 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,052,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Most people have kids because it is expected, not because they are dying to be parents. Sad, really.
That is definitely true!

Old 02-27-2009, 04:10 AM

603 posts, read 2,342,395 times
I'm a teacher and a parent. I teach high school and have young children, so it doesn't feel like doing the same thing all day. When they reach high school, I'll probably move down to elementary school. My SIL had a child while a college student. Her child is an adult now. She told me a few years ago that if she could go back in time, she would never have had a child. Many mistakes were made and the world now has a very messed-up adult. If you know that children aren't for you, I'm glad you discovered that fact before a child is in the world.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:54 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,272,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Interesting. Maybe we parents in the parenting forum are too nice and keep getting all the anti-children threads.
I've never bothered with the Parenting Forum because I am not a parent, but I do have some questions so one day I'll stop by.

Maybe the regulars in the Relationship Forum are just lonely? But seriously, every time this topic comes up in there you get a few posts of people agreeing with you and then the hate fest begins. I don't know why. My GF hears it too, but from real people in real life.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,796,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I keep thinking that I really don't think I want children at all. Especially now that most people seem to be struggling, education costs are out of control, housing is ridiculous, and many other things are going on in this world. Why would I want to bring a child into this mess unless I was completely stable in all aspects of my life? So many people just have them to have them.

I know quite a few couples that never want to have kids and they are happy as well. I enjoy being around children and have been teaching for a few years, but it's nice to get out and have the rest of the night to myself and my husband and be spontaneous when we want to do something or go somewhere.

So who else has been contemplating not having children??
You are very wise/ I decided many years ago I would never make enough money to raise children by my standards. I am very pleased with my decision.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:39 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,850,792 times
Quote:
I found girls more annoying as well. They are also more difficult to handle in the classroom because they get upset over every petty thing and form cliques as young as 3 years old. If I ever had a child I would hope and pray it was a boy. I wouldn't want my daughter to become a brainless bubblehead that goes around saying "whatever" and "oh my god" all day.
No, sorry--you got the wrong idea. I was saying I would have preferred a girl, since I am one and I understand them better! I would much rather buy dollhouses than little army men. I know what you mean about the bubble head thing. I doubt my kid would end up that way since I'm a maniac about speaking and writing well and being a strong woman. If I had a boy I would be a maniac about teaching him to be a respectful young man so he would eventually become a "real man" and not an egotistical jerk.

But I don't have to deal with any of this!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:04 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,682,445 times
Quote:
Why would I want to bring a child into this mess unless I was completely stable in all aspects of my life? So many people just have them to have them.

I know quite a few couples that never want to have kids and they are happy as well. I enjoy being around children and have been teaching for a few years, but it's nice to get out and have the rest of the night to myself and my husband and be spontaneous when we want to do something or go somewhere
I give you credit for thinking about this.
I don't think everyone needs to have children to enjoy their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I am aware that people can post whatever they want where ever they want. But the mods can move threads. I wish all the anti-parent threads were moved elsewhere even if they have to create another forum for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
I was just thinking about how things might be easier if there were a CF forum lol, but a "parents only" forum could work too.
I agree that a CF forum is a good suggestion.
I don't think a parents only forum would work, but a place for the CF to talk might be needed.

I don't know if anyone else is getting "hate" DM's or not but I've gotten 2 due to a few posts here from CF posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships