Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:42 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,385,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
If a wonderful woman enters a crackhead's life is it possible that the crackhead will find so much warmth, joy and happiness in his friendship with the wonderful woman that he'll easily give up crack without going to rehab cause of the warmth, joy, happiness he was getting from this wonderful woman and it made him find something to live for?
Why should any woman date a crackhead, unless he was willing to change and not relapse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 12:47 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,820 times
This smells like a mr.cat post.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Why should any woman date a crackhead, unless he was willing to change and not relapse?
Easier said than done. Here is where researching on this stuff is helpful.

In a nutshell, crack (and meth) provide very fast and enormous rushes in dopamine levels. This feels GOOD. Until of course it wears off and the user is depressed, which leads to another hit. Over time, the brain STOPS producing its own dopamine. It figures the substance is coming in at some point so shuts down its own production.

Herein lies the rub. A person can only go for so long in a severely depressed state before the urge becomes overwhelming to self medicate and right the dopamine levels.

When someone stops, it can take two years for the brain to heal - if it ever heals at all. (Google on AMEN clinic spects for a real eye opener). This is why relapse is the rule rather than the exception in these cases.

And as heartbreaking as it is, I would never hook up with a drug addict. I have in the past so know of what I speak.

To compound this problem, these substances are ILLEGAL. Being with someone using can really screw up your life. And even if you get lucky and don't get caught, there are far too many people in prison who have. It's a sad story, all the way around.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:13 AM

74 posts, read 113,700 times
The thing is, these girls don't intentionally set out to date crackheads. They find a guy who's edgy & fun & nonconformist, and they are attracted to that. Maybe he's extra-creative in a way that appeals to her - he write poetry or plays in a band or is an artist. Maybe he's more attractive or affectionate than other guys in her life, more open to talking about feelings etc. Maybe she's damaged in some way and doesn't set very high standards for herself. Or maybe he's a recovering addict and doesn't tell her until they're more involved -- or he does, but swears he will never do it again, or actually thinks he won't and tries not to. Maybe she smokes pot or he does and she decides she can live with it - unfortunately the social group you tend to fall into as a potsmoker includes people who do harder drugs like meth or crack, and also since they are smoking pot illegally they have at some point made the choice to live a big part of their life illegally. This is really unfortunate because once a person has made that decision it's a slippery slope.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:17 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
If a wonderful woman enters a crackhead's life is it possible that the crackhead will find so much warmth, joy and happiness in his friendship with the wonderful woman that he'll easily give up crack without going to rehab cause of the warmth, joy, happiness he was getting from this wonderful woman and it made him find something to live for?
He'll just be a crackhead with a wonderful woman who might as well be called a CIM (Crackhead in Making).

Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,509 times
well im currently married to a crackhead i just found out a few weeks ago after bing married for two and a half years. it's true what they say love is blind we have four kids total. two from a previous relationship and two together a two year old and a seven month old. my heart is breaking because i love this man and im afraid for his life. but someone told me that no matter how much i love him and tell him that i love him and me and the kids need him he is not gonna change unless HE wants to and it breaks my heart. but i just pray constantly for god to keep him safe and one day HE will realize that he has something to live for other than drugs......a family beautiful kids and a wife who loves him very very much.but dont give up on him. let him know you care just fall back a little but be consistant.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:37 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,690 times
Quote:
flash forward to you on the street corner beggin someone for 20 bucks to buy crack for yourself. you cannot fix people

Old 04-18-2011, 05:47 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,093,380 times
Quote:

If she is wonderful..she wouldnt get involved with a crackhead in the first place..

Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,934 times
Unless he wants to get clean there is nothing you can do. You can't make him stop, that just doesn't happen.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Not likely.

Why do so many women wanna rescue men that don't wanna be rescued?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships