Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

You seem to suggest that everyone takes care of their own stuff individually, instead of leaving it to one person to do all of it. The latter is a more efficient use of time and resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 05:40 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You seem to suggest that everyone takes care of their own stuff individually, instead of leaving it to one person to do all of it. The latter is a more efficient use of time and resources.
I never said that...I said if everyone chips in and does something than chores get done faster and you have more family time together. If 4 people are at home, why does it make sense for 3 of them to sit on the couch while Mom is folding laundry, cooking dinner, making the beds, cleaning the bathtub, etc?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 AM

No doubt they could be doing "something else". If they're sitting on the couch, just watching TV, then they really should have something else to do. Like kids doing their homework, for example. Dad could be fixing something up, taking care of the lawn or some other chore. I never claimed that others should get a "free ride"--hell, I had to get a job at 16 to literally PAY my parents room and board. Recreation isn't necessary--there's always some kind of work to be done.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:31 AM

36,537 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Recreation isn't necessary--there's always some kind of work to be done.
And it will still be there when your dead. Life is short. Enjoy it when you can.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:34 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
Who wants to compete with children for their mother? And in the end that is what will happen. When it comes down to it, the man will lose out if she has to choose.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Another reason could be character. If I were a single man (I'm actually a married woman), I would wonder why the woman is a single mother to begin with? By choice? By accident? Carelessness? Unwed pregnancy? Divorced from a great guy? Divorced from a creep..and if so, why did she marry him in the first place? Is she not a good judge of of character? Maybe she's a widow? That would be sad. Too many questions...too complicated. Too many women without all that.
And you could ask a similar set of questions anytime you meet someone who's divorced. Why did her marriage fail? Was she unfaithful? Was she just a lousy wife? Did she marry a jerk and, if so, is she not a good judge of character? It's normal to wonder how someone came to be divorced or came to be a single mom. But I prefer to give people a chance to explain before making assumptions. I would expect the same courtesy from others too when they meet me. I'd want people to keep an open mind about me before judging me. But a lot of people are hypocrites. They freely judge others whose lives they nothing about but at the same time, they get offended if someone judges them for their past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Who wants to compete with children for their mother? And in the end that is what will happen. When it comes down to it, the man will lose out if she has to choose.
You could make the same argument even if the child were yours. When you have kids, they compete with you for their mother's attention. People act like this only happens when you're dating a single mom, but it happens within families all the time.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:57 AM

94 posts, read 225,152 times
I have not read all of the posts in this thread (only a few ) but I'm going to add my 2 cents. I am a single mom and have been for the past 3 years. The main reason that I do not date (at all) is because of the term 'baggage'. I found very early on that most people do consider your children to be "baggage". That is a pure simple fact. You will hear it over and over again. "No baggage/no drama" etc. My children are not baggage. They are the most precious treasure that I have. However, I am their mom! There is no man on the face of this earth who will be able to view my children in the same way that I do because they aren't their father. My children aren't baggage or something to be "accepted"....as in "I'll accept someone with kids"...no way. My kids are my treasure and not something to merely be 'tolerated', 'accepted' or thought of as 'baggage'. I willl gladly forego dating to ensure that my children are never treated by anyone as baggage. This is a misconception in the first place that anyone would consider children baggage. Unfortunately it is so prevalent that I will not even dabble in dating. Also in considering what men are looking for it would not be fair to them. Many have stated how frustrating it is to date someone who can never give all of themselves. Cancelling dates etc. because of the children being sick or some other family obligation. Well it's true. The children will always come first. So no need to pretend otherwise. I will never put myself into a situation that allows a stranger off the street to suddenly elevate his needs above those of my own children. This is what happens time and again . Loneliness comes and goes. I believe a lonely night or two will not kill me. When my children are grown and have their own lives, then perhaps I'll have coffee with someone. I'll be old and gray and maybe we'll wheel ourselves over there...lol...but that's about the closest I'll ever come to dating.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:57 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Recreation isn't necessary--there's always some kind of work to be done.
Wow that family life must suck. My family always had recreation time - playing cards/board games, watching movies, going Putt-Putt, swimming, etc...20 years later I don't remember if our kitchen floor was mopped everyday or if our ceiling fans were always dusted but I remember the time we went to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta and spent 3 days watching hot air balloons. I think family recreation is a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
You could say the say thing if the children were yours. I think in some cases, it helps if the kids understand Mom is a person. When my mom started dating (even though I was young) she told us "I need to spend time with my friends, just like you spend time with yours." I never saw my mother dating as a threat on our relationship.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

You could make the same argument even if the child were yours. When you have kids, they compete with you for their mother's attention. People act like this only happens when you're dating a single mom, but it happens within families all the time.
Good reason, then, not to have them. Which is what was argued in the Great Debates thread on a similar subject.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 AM

36,537 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Good reason, then, not to have them. Which is what was argued in the Great Debates thread on a similar subject.
I don't know why it needs to be argued. If your not the type person who wishes to share your life with others, it should be obvious you should not have children or become involved with those that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships