Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
LMAO @ the first 2 cities being cities with very LARGE gay populations...
No kiddin'! When I saw SF 2nd I said to myself: so much for that "study"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
DC was the first place to spring to mine when I saw the title of this thread and I see it's in Forbes top 5.

I was going to say San Diego only if you are a woman or a "bad boy", and nice guys will be dragged over the coals out here.

I'm surprised Raleigh is not on the list, I think if the list was redone in 5 yrs the Triangle would make it.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:14 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No kiddin'! When I saw SF 2nd I said to myself: so much for that "study"...
I dunno, if the population has far more gay men then women, might be awesome for us.

I looked at that thing, some might be great, but I'd rather see a M:F singles ratio number if I were truly going to move some where with any of that in mind.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:17 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
I dunno, if the population has far more gay men then women, might be awesome for us.
Yeah, I suppose it's awesome for straight guys. Even though the weather in SF sucks, at least it's not as bad as Alaska where the ladies should go.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yeah, I suppose it's awesome for straight guys. Even though the weather in SF sucks, at least it's not as bad as Alaska where the ladies should go.
I'm allergic to earthquakes...I have a note from my mommy.

Now hurricanes, microbursts and a few tornadoes every now and again I'm used to..

Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I would have to think that Los Angeles would be the best place for singles. Lots of people here, and most everyone is into looking their best and taking care of their bodies.

Other large cities where there is a large population should also be great when it comes to dating for singles.

I would have to think that places like Idaho, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama would be some of the worst.
While people might be more likely to be married in those states you mentioned, the people are friendlier. I took a long road trip a couple of years ago. The two states, by far where the most women flirted with me were Arkansas and Oklahoma. The women treated me like I was a catch. When I was in one of those bigger cities that they say are so good for singles I become invisible.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
men complaining about lack of women??? that's interesting, how are there so many men in "Menver"? is it a big IT town? I hear men in "Man Jose" complain about the same things...lol, most towns in this country have a higher female to male ratio so its all interesting to me because women complain about lack of men all the time!
The reason most towns have a higher ratio of females is simply because women outlive men and there are a lot of widows.

But if you look at the population under age 50 it becomes a lot more even, with several cities having a large surplus of men.

I was just looking at a breakdown of this subject and I can very much see why people call San Jose "Man Jose". It does indeed have the highest ratio of males of any large city. Single females should easily be able to find a man there, especially if they like IT nerds!

Other cities with a high ratio of males include Phoenix AZ, Bakersfield CA, San Diego CA, Las Vegas NV, Reno NV, Salem OR and Austin TX. Although they weren't included in the survey I always heard Alaska has a huge ratio of males, especially outside Anchorage.

The cities with the highest female ratio (under age 50) were medium size Southern towns...Montgomery AL, Augusta GA, Shreveport LA, Charleston SC, Columbia SC. Memphis TN,Brownsville TX, and El Paso TX. They might not all be "great for singles" as far as recreational and cultural activities but men shouldn't have trouble meeting women. Interestingly all of those have large minority populations, Two Mexican border towns and the rest have large African-American percentages. I wonder if this reflects higher mortality rates (or incarceration) among African-American males? I don't know what else would explain why so many extra women live in those towns

One of the reasons I am such a big believer in sex ratios is that I went to a college with close to 2X women for every man. I dated more women and had more fun than any time of my life.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,297,994 times
Quote:
haha!! it sounds like a colder version of texas! though I've only ever been to Texas when I was 7 years old when we drove through from New York to AZ, so I don't know personally much about the 2 states.
Yeah it seems like it would be too cold. I was tempted to move out there for another reason, but I am so tired of snow.

I hope there are lots of single guys in Houston.

I have heard from more than one guy that Atlanta is the place to be for single men. They say there are more women, and many of them are professional women looking to settle down. They claim it is so bad that even men with no jobs or no plans on bettering themselves juggle more than one woman.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
So what do you all think is the best and worst cities/areas in this country for singles?

I can't really answer since I have only lived my adult life in Arizona (Tucson and Tempe) and a year in Los Angeles. From my experience in Los Angeles, I would say it is probably the worst place to be single, but I can't say in comparison to where.

Why is LA a bad place to be single? I had a great time in El Lay as a single man.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post
pittsburgh sucks for singles
it did was i was single.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships