Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:33 AM

986 posts, read 1,668,280 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that social networking sites can often cause a lot of drama in relationships. I believe this is true; a few years back I dated a guy, and any insecurity I had about our relationship was magnified ten times over when I became his friend on myspace.

Fast forward to now. I've been dating a guy for a little over two months and we recently agreed to date each other exclusively. I have gone back and forth about this whole myspace/facebook and dating issue. I have decided for my OWN personal comfort level not to add him as my friend on either site. At this point in time, I do think that he is exclusive to me, but I want him to feel like I don't need to know every intricate detail of his life (which I don't).

I also believe that dating and social networking sites have the potential to cause a LOT of drama, especially because he and I have a lot of mutual friends. This is also another reason why I decided we don't need to be "facebook friends". My profile does have that I am "in a relationship", but I haven't disclosed his name. I took a picture with him on a trip recently, and the number of comments I received from others was amazing. I could only imagine the kind of "drama" us being friends on facebook and the whole "in a relationship with _________" might spark, or if we were having some sort of relationship related issue, or when/if we break up and facebook announces it to the world (why is that even necessary?).

Bottom line: facebook + dating = bad business

Old 06-19-2009, 06:42 AM

911 posts, read 2,377,234 times
i had a g/f that questioned every person i have on myspace/f.b.
i had nothing to hide. she was just paranoid
and it got old explaining friends, co-workers, and whoever else on there for what ever reason

one time i got yelled at for a girl i had on myspace
"who is that bla bla bla"
its my cousin you idiot
you met her at thannksgiving dinner

Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,328,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
I read somewhere that social networking sites can often cause a lot of drama in relationships. I believe this is true; a few years back I dated a guy, and any insecurity I had about our relationship was magnified ten times over when I became his friend on myspace.

Fast forward to now. I've been dating a guy for a little over two months and we recently agreed to date each other exclusively. I have gone back and forth about this whole myspace/facebook and dating issue. I have decided for my OWN personal comfort level not to add him as my friend on either site. At this point in time, I do think that he is exclusive to me, but I want him to feel like I don't need to know every intricate detail of his life (which I don't).

I also believe that dating and social networking sites have the potential to cause a LOT of drama, especially because he and I have a lot of mutual friends. This is also another reason why I decided we don't need to be "facebook friends". My profile does have that I am "in a relationship", but I haven't disclosed his name. I took a picture with him on a trip recently, and the number of comments I received from others was amazing. I could only imagine the kind of "drama" us being friends on facebook and the whole "in a relationship with _________" might spark, or if we were having some sort of relationship related issue, or when/if we break up and facebook announces it to the world (why is that even necessary?).

well, if the person your with, is insecure, they are going to have a problem with it....which should be a big big flag...I could never be smothered like that...
While I'm very open on here, I'm also a very privet person in real life...and to be honest....I believe the OP is over reacting...and if two people break up, I would hope that they would both be very mature about it...

Old 06-19-2009, 07:24 AM

911 posts, read 2,377,234 times
then when you and your b/f or g/f break up
its a race to see who kicks the other on off f.b./myspace first

Old 06-19-2009, 07:54 AM

27,375 posts, read 27,421,823 times
I used to have a myspace thing on an old email acct (which is now shut down) and had no friends on there. Many invites, but never accepted.
Some cases, they might have something to hide if its set to private. Other times, they just legitimately are on there for the heck of it and dont want to be slammed with nonsense messages and spam. But agreed, if he has nothing to hide, why is it set to private. Heck I dont know, I dont have/want facebook.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 AM

844 posts, read 2,104,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
He's told me that he doesn't log on to Facebook very often and pretty much all the people who are on his friends list added him first and he doesn't talk to them.
I tell this to women when I don't want them to know I'm shopping around behind their back

Dump him ASAP.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:04 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,808,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year, and he won't add me as a friend on Facebook. He's told me that he doesn't log on to Facebook very often and pretty much all the people who are on his friends list added him first and he doesn't talk to them. He has a private profile, however, so I can't see who his friends are or how often he uses the site. I have jokingly complained to him about not adding me because I didn't want to make a big deal about it, but it really hurts my feelings because it makes me think that he either doesn't think very much of me or doesn't want to publicly acknowledge our relationship to his friends. I've never sent him a friend request because I don't want to be rejected by MY OWN BOYFRIEND, but he knows that I would gladly accept if he sent one to me. I understand that social networking sites have the potential to cause drama in relationships, so that's why I haven't really pushed the issue, but am I wrong to feel even somewhat slighted by this??
He's someone else's boyfriend as well...

Old 06-19-2009, 08:18 AM

10,178 posts, read 20,803,755 times
I think the OP is right for feeling concerned and hurt. If it were my wife or girlfriend who refused to add me as a friend I'd have to question what it is she has to hide. Luckily I don't participate in these online networking sites and it's a non-issue, but I can see how it can become one.

A friend of mine had a similar problem. He wouldn't add his own wife because he didn't want her to see some of his former girlfriends who were "friends" of his on Facebook. She made a legitimate gripe and he eventually added her. He had to delete a bunch of comments first.

I don't think it's worth jeopardizing a relationship over some "friend" who lives hundreds of miles away and you haven't seen for several years.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,704,643 times
Quote:

Very much agreed, 200%!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,860 times
Quote:
My profile does have that I am "in a relationship", but I haven't disclosed his name.
Mine says neither single nor in a relationship - I just leave it blank, and it's anyone's guess.

When I date someone and don't change it, they don't care, because at least it doesn't say I'm single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships