Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 01:54 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,626,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
LMAO! That is very clever. And yes, I tend to replace one for another. But I keep them in sequence instead of all bunched up, like some women like to do.
Night, Cricket!

In sequence, huh? In electrical work they call that series wiring. Bunched up would be parallel wiring.

Just make sure you don't get your wires crossed.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:56 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks. Just thought there was a recommended time from the yoga instructors, or something like that. I already do aerobics, so yoga is not on my to-do list just yet, but I like to know these things in case I start wondering about it and decide to do it suddenly.
Ha, you sound like a very spontaneous person. I don't know anything about recommended times, so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Yoga is much like taijiquan and qigong in that, depending upon the kind of energy you produce in your practice, you'll either be ready for the day or ready for bed. Some exercises give you a lot of "boing-boing" energy; others make you sleepy. A good instructor can tailor which exercises the class does, based upon time of day.
Okay, you lost me already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
That's true for me too. I get up in the mornings to make money, but when I don't have to...I'm kind of slow.

I'd have to take a beginner's class.

Good night everyone, I'm pooped. I'm going to go read. Hope you all have a restful sleep.
Nighty-night! (Sleepy emoticon)

Old 09-27-2009, 02:06 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,435,653 times
Quote:
In sequence, huh? In electrical work they call that series wiring. Bunched up would be parallel wiring.

Just make sure you don't get your wires crossed.
Haha. No worries, i'm a good enough electrician.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Okay, you lost me already...
Sorry.

Taijiquan (t'ai-chi) is that slow-motion exercise you see people doing in the parks in China. Qigong (chi-kung) is pretty much the same, only with little or no stepping patterns involved. They're exercises for developing balance, coordination, better breathing...in fact, t'ai-chi is often called "moving meditation". It's also (primarily) a martial art, although it's rarely taught that way anymore.

It's often said that yoga is active on the inside and still on the outside, while t'ai-chi is quiet on the inside and moving on the outside. But they're complimentaries.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:18 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,435,653 times
Quote:
Sorry.

Taijiquan (t'ai-chi) is that slow-motion exercise you see people doing in the parks in China. Qigong (chi-kung) is pretty much the same, only with little or no stepping patterns involved. They're exercises for developing balance, coordination, better breathing...in fact, t'ai-chi is often called "moving meditation". It's also (primarily) a martial art, although it's rarely taught that way anymore.

It's often said that yoga is active on the inside and still on the outside, while t'ai-chi is quiet on the inside and moving on the outside. But they're complimentaries.

I get it. It's like yin and yang. That sounds cool.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Sorry.

I like those descriptions. I should have mentioned that what I'm doing is Hatha yoga. Isn't that a pretty basic, common form of it?

Quote:
I get it. It's like yin and yang. That sounds cool.
I agree.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:31 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,955,275 times
I think I need to adjust my sleeping pattern so I can hang out here later _ I missed all the good stuff!

Quote:
El Camiiiiiiiiiino! (Brad Pitt in "The Mexican.") Canary yellow, by the way.
My nephew has been "restoring" an El Camino for a while now. Translates to "teenager who can't afford to do anything else".
I asked what is the draw about El Caminos - big mistake. He started chanting,
"El Camino, El Camino. The front is like a car, & the back is a like a truck! The front is where you kiss & the back is where you ......"
No respect for his elders, I tell ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I need to try and fit in a yoga class. I think it would do me a world of good.
Quote:
It really is incredible. You can't imagine the aerobic effect from such small, quiet movements. I know we're joking around in this thread, but I wanted to try it for the meditative aspects. I love that part of it, but the physical part is really amazing, too. I'm 45 and I think it's the best thing, workout-wise, that I've ever done for myself.
I take a yoga class called p'tale. It's a weird mix of some standard yoga moves, some pilates moves, and a LOT of breathing exercises. The instructor
keeps the lights almost out - just enough so you can see her. She has candles & incense going, and new age-y music. I take it once a week at night,
& twice a week in the AM. She does exactly what SifuPhil says - she tailors it to be energized or relaxed, & finishes by saying something like
"as you prepare for today's journey" She is so flexible - she has us grab our foot by the arch and then try to move it out to the side.
Well that's as far as mine gets. Hers goes up past her head - wild!

SifuPhil, after spending an evening in Albany, I have decided I need some sort of self-defense class or karate or something. What would you suggest?
I just want to be able to stop someone from hurting me or my companions - we had a pretty bad scare the other night.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
I think I need to adjust my sleeping pattern so I can hang out here later _ I missed all the good stuff!
The night shift has a lot of fun here!

Quote:
SifuPhil, after spending an evening in Albany, I have decided I need some sort of self-defense class or karate or something. What would you suggest?
I just want to be able to stop someone from hurting me or my companions - we had a pretty bad scare the other night.
A .45 (with the appropriate permit and training, of course) would be a good thing.

Seriously.

There are classes you can probably find locally for self-defense, but a 2-week course barely touches the surface. Often it only gives a sense of false empowerment, which is far, far more deadly than knowing nothing at all. I tell people this all the time - if you're going to learn to defend yourself using only your bare hands, you'd better be ready to spend at least a year studying 3 times a week. It usually takes that long to master the basics enough so that whatever you do on the street, it'll be somewhat effective.

Otherwise, get the carry permit.

Sorry, I don't mean to burst your bubble - I'm glad you're interested in learning something - but I've known of far too many cases where someone with just a little knowledge got hurt. Now if you're talking last-ditch, "he'll kill me no matter what" types of situations then yes, anything you learn could come in handy. But those kinds of situations are pretty rare.

Even in Albany.

PS - one possible exception to the rule. If you can find a class in something called krav maga, that would be your best bet. It's a down-and-dirty style of fighting, originally from Israel and used to teach all their soldiers and police, and the basics can be learned fairly quickly. But stay away from taekwondo/juijitsu places - they're 99% oriented toward competing in tournaments, NOT in realistic self-defense techniques.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
My nephew has been "restoring" an El Camino for a while now. Translates to "teenager who can't afford to do anything else".
I asked what is the draw about El Caminos - big mistake. He started chanting,
"El Camino, El Camino. The front is like a car, & the back is a like a truck! The front is where you kiss & the back is where you ......"
No respect for his elders, I tell ya!
LOL!! Chow and I are cracking up. We've never heard that before.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:00 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,896,720 times
Quote:
LOL!! Chow and I are cracking up. We've never heard that before.
I'm going to remember that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships